Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #1

Information about Williamsburg

We would like to go to Williamsburg. Any suggestions about what time of the year is best?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
paz

We have been there in all 4 seasons, and we like them all.

In summer, everything is in full swing and there is more to see and do in the restored area. All their buildings are open, and there are more programs and special events taking place. There are also Busch Gardens and a large water park nearby if you will be traveling with kids. However, it is HOT in summer, and the crowds are bigger.

Spring and fall are probably our favorite times of year. Crowds are smaller, and the weather is more comfortable, but some special programs are not going on. However, if you get the timing right, the gardens are beautiful in spring and the leaves are pretty in fall.

Winter is also an interesting time to visit, especially if you can be there before Christmas to see all the colonial Christmas decorations. The restored area is beautiful if you happen to catch it during a rare snowfall. However, you can't count on it snowing, and if I couldn't be there to see the Christmas decorations, I wouldn't go in winter.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #3

I thin paz nailed it! There are tradeoffs and it depends what you want to do most while you are there. Williamsburg is between Richmond and Norfolk/VA Beach and it you want to explore either of those areas as well, that may impact your decision.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

Think traffic, traffic , traffic anytime of the year. It is really bad and if driving through tunnels bother you, you are in trouble because to get between the southside and the penninsula, you have to go over/through bridge/tunnels.It is also really, really hot and humid in the summer. But there is lots to see in the area. If you are interested in civil war history, that part of Virginia is the place to be. Newport News City Park and Campground still has visible trenches from the Civil War and Ft Monroe is open for tours, the place where Jefferson Davis was held in custody after the Civil War. Jamestown Colony is also in that area. Bring plenty of money. Lived in Virginia Beach for 18 years and glad to be gone from there.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Well, we have lived in Florida for 22 years so we know what heat is. I guess I should have asked, which is better, Spring or Fall.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO fall is the best time to head to Williamsburg, not as many young tourist and you are on the down swing for seasonal prices.
RobMoe23454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

We have lived in the Williamsburg area for many years. It's a tourist destination, so lots to do in the summer; hence lots of people. Aside from Summer, I would lean towards Fall or even early in Christmas Season. PM me if you have detailed questions. It's a great place to live or visit!
Phrogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I think September or early October is excellent. American Heritage RV park
is the place to stay.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
+1 on American Heritage. April, May, September, October.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Well, we have lived in Florida for 22 years so we know what heat is. I guess I should have asked, which is better, Spring or Fall.
My choice is spring. DW and I like flower gardens, and the bulbs blooming in April are beautiful.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #11

Another campground to consider that most out of town folks don't know about is Chickahominy Riverfront Park. It's a County park, but very nice sites, facilities and at a great price. Check it out.....
Phrogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote