Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

Any thoughts on I-74 to 231 north? The bridge construction really has cut off a primary route here.
Brabono: steer clear of 31 in Hamilton County just north of Indy - major reconstruction there. Once complete it will be fantastic but until then it's white knuckle in an rv. Through Kokomo it is great because of a new bypass.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

Any advice on 39 out of Lebanon?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #17

If driving rv to McCormick place to stay....would early Saturday or early Sunday be easier. We are not much on big city traffic . How about driving in on 55 or 57 since 65 seems to be a construction problem
Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We will be heading south on I-71 picking up I-65 south of Audubon Park going down to Bowling Green, KY then Nashville. Is this southern part of I-65 any better than the northbound route? Do we go over the bridge mentioned above that is described as a cluster? Thank you for any info you can provide. We are new to RV life and not familiar with this area.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #19

Any advice on a campground with hookups near metro train to Chicago . Within an hour or 90 minutes to lakeshore area in city
Old 09-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #20

Just so everyone knows we had a most enjoyable drive up Rd 39
Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We went from Bardstown to Bowling Green on 65 -(last 3o days) went to Louisville also, while staying at Bardstown. Then back to Fla-using lots of 65, as well.

Do not have any bad memories of the roads.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #22

The driver (husband) had shunned me for calling 31 'white knuckle'. Apparently is only white knuckle for the passenger. He said the construction narrows the lanes and it is very congested at the 96th street exit. I'll try to summons some assistance for more answers for you for the significant construction areas and road closure in Indiana.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Any advice on 39 out of Lebanon?
Narrow - 2 lane black top - small shoulder.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just some thoughts......

Traveling through Indiana is definitely a excerise in "Stsying Calm".

The I 65 bridge over the Ohio River at Louisville IS a mess but drivable. Take your time - many lane switchbacks - other than rush hou, should not take you too long.

Continuing north or south between Indianapolis and Louisville - there is construction south of Indianapolis continuing south of Greenwood, IN. Again, some switch overs - trucks in theft lanes - but drivable with an RV. A detour around the I65 construction south of Indianapolis would be US 31 between I465 and State Route 46 at Columbus, IN.

Going north of Indoanapolis - I65 at Lafayette, IN (The Bridge) will be closed for a long time. To get around it north to Michican, consider US31 out of Indy. There is the ever present construction north leaving I465, but again it is navigable with an RV and U.S. 31 north is a nice wide 4 lane road that now goes around Kokomo, IN (Use to be a traffic stopper). If going to Chicago, The Upper (Upper Michigan) or points north west of Chicago, consider I74 west out of the west side of Indy, (say hi as you will go through my town Brownsburg) to either I55, or I 57. Theses will get you past the road closure on I65 @ Lafayette, IN.

If at all possible - as much as we would like you to visit - look at the maps, you may want to avoid passing through Indiana.

Hope this helps a little........have a wonderful trip!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #25

Thanks everyone for your advice, we were planning on camping near the area where the cop killers are on the lose. Wil probably
Change our plans unless they are caught soon
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #26

Just as a post update, we had to take 65 today from indianapolis to seymour. From indianapolis to exit 80 (Flat Rock) under construction with concrete barriers, lane shifts, truck only lanes. South of Flat Rock to Seymour is clear of construction.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #27

Community: Indiana State Police Rebroadcasts INDOT News Release: I-65 North Reopening from Lebanon to Lafayette

Effective immediately, law enforcement and contractor vehicles are reopening the northbound lanes of I-65 between Lebanon and Lafayette. Walsh Construction Company completed repairs and load tested the Wildcat Creek bridge near Lafayette as Indiana Department of Transportation inspectors observed.

“I am grateful for the Indiana Department of Transportation’s around-the-clock efforts to reopen the interstate ahead of schedule,” said Governor Mike Pence. “We appreciate the patience of citizens in communities that have been affected. Construction in this area and others is ongoing and we urge motorists to be mindful as they travel our highways.”*

Construction continues
Construction projects and lane closures that had been suspended on the alternate routes will resume within the next few days.

I-65 remains an active work zone as contractors widen and rehabilitate the interstate near Lafayette. Drivers should reduce their speed, allow extra following distance and look twice before changing lanes in work zones.

Planned I-65 lane closures for construction will continue at night, when traffic is lighter, between State Road 38 (Exit 168) and State Road 25 (Exit 175). Drivers may use U.S. 52, State Road 28 and U.S. 231 as an alternate route to avoid the nighttime lane closures.*

Detour route
INDOT urges U.S. 52, State Road 28 and U.S. 231 drivers to stay alert as traffic adjusts to normal patterns. In addition, drivers should watch for slow-moving farm equipment as fall harvest season begins in the area.

INDOT technicians continue to monitor pavement condition and traffic flow, and will restore normal signal timing patterns as appropriate. The temporary traffic signals at U.S. 231 and State Road 28 in Romney and U.S. 52 and State Road 47 near Thorntown will remain in place until traffic resumes normal patterns and INDOT can perform a new engineering study.