Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Iowa in winter

We are going to Nashau Iowa for Christmas to spoil my cousins kids. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that are open for the winter near there? Thanks.
Tomandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

I grew up in Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjimmy View Post
We are going to Nashau Iowa for Christmas to spoil my cousins kids. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that are open for the winter near there? Thanks.
And unless it was an emergency I wouldn't try to live an entire winter in Iowa in an RV. The majority of the campgrounds close around the end of October. I have found a few that are open all year and stayed in one on I 80 until early November one year. Got snow and my water froze once. Last year I was in the Cedar Rapids area until early December. I could remain on the property all winter but it would be difficult to fill my water tanks unless there was a warm day. (when I needed water. That's the biggest issue. You might try a "Trailer Park" where they have Mobile homes. They usually have heat tape on the water supply down below the frost level, but hooking up to an RV inlet is quite a challenge. Most are on the outside of the rig and lead to an insulated tank fill. Did that once too. Built a box around the hose and up the side of the trailer and then had a heat tape around it all. Stayed there until January.

IF my read of the "woolly worms" is correct, this year will be as bad if not worse than last year and everyone I know was well tired of winter late April of this year. It seemed that winter lasted through a lot of spring and this summer was probably the coolest in a long time. I'm heading south no later than the 22 of October this year.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjimmy View Post
Don't. I lived in Iowa three years. The first winter it was. 25 BELOW and 90 below wind chill. The following years were not much better. You never know ... But then again you never know !
Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #4

Some people are predicting a very cold winter. Trees are dropping leaves earlier than they have seen in many years. I grew up in SW Iowa and lived there for nearly 40 years before moving to Ohio for much of the same kind of winters and have lived in the Atlanta area for 20 years and about to move to Houston to live with my daughter and her family.

Early January in the past brought daytime temps below 32 degrees for a high, usually around 10. By the time March came around and the temp got up to 25 degrees then that was short sleeve weather. I couldn't handle it now. Now when we go back to visit relatives people say when are you moving back, I say NEVER. A little side story, I had a very good friend that retired from the AF when he was in SAC in Omaha and we asked where he was going to live. He said he was going to tie a snow shovel to the front bumper of his truck and the first place that he stopped and people asked him what it was that was where he was going to stay.

To answer your question you might just call around and check near Nashua, Charles City or further south around Waterloo. It's pretty cool there right now, only 54 degrees but will be warming up to the 80's next week. Nashua is pretty far north in Iowa and water supply will be the big issue. If you carry 100 gallons and don't need city water you may get by for a week or so. As long as your tanks are protected and kept warm it should be OK. You may want to put 100 watt bulbs lit in your basement areas to keep the chill off, you would be surprised how much heat they put off. We used to put them under the hood of the car next to the battery to get good current flow to the starter in below zero weather. The camp grounds may have water shut offs below the frost line that drain when they are shut off, that's what we had on the water hydrants on farm to fill the livestock water tanks and then a tank heater to keep the ice melted .

You might not want to overstay your welcome, HA. Good Luck!

Tags
winter