Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Is Thousand Trails for Me?

I know there has been a lot of discussion about TT, but I have a very specific goal in mind, and wonder if I can get some feedback.

Right now, I am full-timing, at least for a while. I am thinking about spending a month or so in Las Vegas and another month or so in southern CA.

There are TT resorts in desirable locations, and I think that I can get my $499 worth of usage if I can use there parks just for a couple of months.

Does this strategy work? Will I actually be able to get reservations during the holiday months? They are selling pretty hard and I am vaguely suspicious.

TNX for any feedback.

Rick.
rcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You might not be able to stay for months. Most of the timeshare systems have 14 day rule. 14 days in and 7 days out, then start over. Also check on the home park/mileage rules. The miles are usually measured in air miles.
You may need multiple memberships to make it work. Read and understand ALL rules before you let your $$ go. Don't forget about the yearly dues when you factor costs.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thousand Trails has what I consider one of the best deals in Membership camping.. The ZONE pass.

The country (USA) is divided into 4 zones, for less than a two week stay at a KOA you can buy a ZONE pass.. This gives you full membership access to the parks in any one zone, 2 weeks in, then one week out... And you only pay the one time fee, (Less you want 50 amps then you pay more per night in)

What makes this deal so fantastic is it is an annual "membeship" it is up to you to decide "Renew or not" All the other membership campgrounds it's a marraige, Membership is for life and even if they close all the parks around you they will continue to dunn you for dues and dunn and dunn.. Thousand trails is not doing that

You buy a 1 year "membership" For less than 500 bucks... You can even add a zone and get half the country for a few dollars more

If you decide to give it a try. PM me for a referral number..

As far as I know, no other membership campground is doing this, they all want to sell you a lifetime membership for several thousand and then still charge you about the same in Dues per year. that TT charges for the zone pass.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rcolman,
The replies provide good advice. If you buy, consider buying a resale. They are very cheap.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have Thousand Trails, and the saying goes, the reason it's called thousand trails is there are a l000 different types of memberships. That said, like GaryKD says look for resales. We got our membership 'free' from a member who just wanted out, however we did have to pay $750 to transfer the title with TT. We have since upgraded to a Elite plan. We can stay in a park for three weeks and then go directly to another park, without staying out for a week. Also almost all the parks have some sort of extended stay plan where you can buy a month extra in the park for a fee. It's not for everyone, but works for us.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only problem I see is that if after a few months you decide you want out. Too bad.

You have to pay forever. You can't cancel your membership.

Or by the time you resell it you have lost all the savings you made.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote