RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #15

I agree with the others here, I would not plan on over 250 miles per day with an unfamiliar rv setup

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #16

For calculation purposes I use 50 mph! This also includes all my stops for fuel etc... This number has always worked well for figuring my time to get somewhere .

I travel between 60-65 mph with cruise when traffic and weather permit....I love to tow my Fiver!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
For calculation purposes I use 50 mph! This also includes all my stops for fuel etc... This number has always worked well for figuring my time to get somewhere .:

Just what I was thinking. The hours vs miles looks like a google maps projection which has never worked for me in a rv. 500 miles always seems to come out at about 10 hours. Also not sure what time of year youíre thinking but I always try to get to a new campground before dark so during summer you can stretch those days a lot longer.

Savannah is a lot like Charleston in many ways. Given the time constraints I would pick Charleston and spend more time there and Asheville fwiw.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #18

The areas you have planned to stop are very nice but 10 days is too short of a trip to do them all. If you're new to RVing the first day of 500 miles is also too much. You can't cover the distance with a RV that you do in a car. We always figured covering 50-60 miles per hour which gives leeway for pit stops, stretching, food, fuel.

Hope you can adjust your stops for a more relaxing trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #19

Agree with busskipper. 500 is doable, but a very long day when towing. If you can shave a couple hundred off by getting a head start and they staying in a Walmart, that will make that leg of your journey a little easier.

We use 300 miles a day as our target and sometimes with traffic/weather (heavy rain, etc.) slowing things down, you're super glad you did.

Enjoy the journey and the drive will actually be part of the fun no matter how you plan the trip.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #20

I tow a travel trailer and tow at 62 miles and hour. I average 50 to 55 miles an hour. That is after over 20,000 miles of towing.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #21

We stayed at Oak Plantation and would again. Good choice. We too always use 50 MPH as a divisor into our planned mileage. Works every time. Have never attempted 500 miles. 350 is a long day!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When are you traveling? If during the summer your plan for the Blue Ridge Parkway might be optimistic, even at only 200 miles per day. Itís 2 lane, no passing, and the average speed limit is 25. With summer traffic and the high number of turn outs (which youíll want to enjoy) it may be slower than you plan. Considering camping in a central location and traveling north and south on the parkway from there in your tow vehicle. It will be less stressful and much easier to maneuver.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:34 AM   #23

If you goal is to just drive by and say I've been there go right ahead, if you plan to stop and enjoy yourself cut down on your driving. Your time estimats are way off plus you have setup and breakdown time. 50mph is a comfortable number unless you like be exhausted.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itinerary