Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I've got points!

OK, I know that for some on this forum, KOA is a four letter word. However, for a variety of reasons that make sense to me, I've spent a few nights at various KOA's across the country.

I did join their Value Kard Rewards program and have acquired 54,240 VKR points. Woohoo!!!

According to their website, "Each time you stay at a KOA Campground, you earn points. After you’ve earned enough points, you can redeem them for rewards that can be used for savings at any KOA."

I just don't see a process to redeem my points for rewards.

So, can someone "point" me in the right direction to redeem my points for an amazing reward?

Thanks in advance.

Take care,
Stu

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

Next time you check into a KOA, just tell them you want to redeem points. That's the way I've always done it.

Once again a controller shows a pilot the way.

FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Next time you camp at KOA tell them you want to use your points. Actually, they should ask you, but not all of them do. You can get $50, $25 or $10 off your stay depending on amount of points. You can go to KOA.com and at the top right there is a link to My VKR. There you can sign up to see how you are earning your points and keep track of them. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Once again a controller shows a pilot the way.
Thanks for guiding me safely home!

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Next time you camp at KOA tell them you want to use your points. Actually, they should ask you, but not all of them do. You can get $50, $25 or $10 off your stay depending on amount of points. You can go to KOA.com and at the top right there is a link to My VKR. There you can sign up to see how you are earning your points and keep track of them. Safe travels.
Thanks!

I've checked the KOA website for my points. Just NEVER had anyone at a KOA campground ASK if I wanted to redeem points.

We just put the motorhome away until a February trip to Florida. Maybe we'll have a chance to redeem some points then.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Thanks!

I've checked the KOA website for my points. Just NEVER had anyone at a KOA campground ASK if I wanted to redeem points.

We just put the motorhome away until a February trip to Florida. Maybe we'll have a chance to redeem some points then.

Take care,
Stu
Stu, glad to help. I worked for KOA several seasons. The points comes up highlighted on the check in screen, so there's no excuse for the clerk not to ask. Some folks don't understand what the points mean so it is important for clerks to let people know and explain the program.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Stu, glad to help. I worked for KOA several seasons.
Thanks, Frank.

We just got back from a week of leaf peeping in West Virginia and Virginia. We needed to winterize before putting the motorhome in storage until February. There's a KOA about 15 miles away, so we've used that as a convenient place to park for that. I made reservations for a back-in 30 amp spot for 2 nights. We weren't going to be staying in the motorhome; all we needed was a place with electric (fully charge the batteries) and sewer (dump/flush the tanks and winterize). When we checked in, no less than 4 times, I was questioned about my choice (30 amp, back-in????). Each time, I explained the logic of my choice. Each time, I was questioned...yeah, but, you've got a 50 amp coach...yeah, but it's a back-in, etc. There was some conversation about, "Yeah, we see a lot of the on-line reservations (I had made my reservation on-line) that have made unusual choices."

Now, about a month ago, we returned from three months away and made on-line reservations for a similar spot (30 amp, water, sewer) to have a spot for some temporary clean-up after three months out and looking forward to temporary (three weeks) storage. My wife preceded me into the KOA and took care of the check-in. She was unaware of my reservation/preference (30 amp, back-in, to save a few $'s). By the time I arrived, we had a nice 50 amp pull-through (only $10 more/night).

So, it does seem that this particular KOA is happy to sell you a more expensive spot. I understand that...it's business.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

We used $25 worth of points at our first stop on the current trip. Yes, they DID ask. And we are accumulating more.

My wife prefers KOA even though they may be a bit pricier than some others. She likes the general consistency understanding that some are better than others and prices vary greatly. We have been mostly satisfied but have found a few where we did not feel we got good value. The Kard definately pays for itself after a few stops.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #9

KOA

Some say the price is a little high, we have paid and will continue to pay $99 a night to me thats a little high. Question who or what club to you belong to that has good pricing?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceuser View Post
we have paid and will continue to pay $99 a night to me thats a little high. Question who or what club to you belong to that has good pricing?
In our experience, $99/night is high for a "campground". We've stayed in a couple of "resorts" in that price range; most of the guests there owned their landscaped lots and casitas; many parked their Prevosts, Newells and Foretravels there while they drove around in their Bentleys.

We've used the KOA VKR card, Good Sam and FMCA for some discount.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #11

KOA

Thanks Stu we stayed in Bultton and a place across from El Capitan state park, they are $99 a night and tents to DP stay there. Only thing in town.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #12

99$ a night, holy$&@&. What kind of places are these, or am I in the wrong forum?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote