Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #1

James Island campground

What are the best sites at James inland county park 37 ft motorhome and dog

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I would like to know this also, but my rig is 34' long.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but are any of the sites satellite friendly? I have a portable setup.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I stayed there in a 35' MH. I don't remember the site # but I can tell you it's a great CG. I was told that there wasn't a sat view at my site but I maneuvered a little and got a signal. Enjoy

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to some previous threads that may assist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jame...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #5

Charleston County Parks and Recreation

Look under Rates and Reservations. Then select "can I view photos of the campsites" under the CCPRCFAQS on right side. You'll get another menu ... pick the View Photos ....select the Photos again. Eventually you'll get to the Gallery. Here's the direct link (instructions are in case you forget where the pictures are located.)

Charleston County Parks and Recreation

Re: satellite ... when I was there I saw a lot of dishes near the roads ... it's hit or miss depending on location ... trees are pretty big. I was right near a really big Live Oak that totally blocked Over The Air but we were so busy we didn't care.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Are you allowed to reserve a particular site and how long in advance would I need to make reservations? I am looking at a trip there next April/May.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
A few pull throughs....

There are a couple of pull thru sites there, but when you make your reservation they will ask you about size and usually put you on an appropriate site which is available, you can express a preference but no guarantee. Pull thru sites are 29,31,33,35,37,39,41 and 43, see attached map.

We love this campground, mostly I guess because we love to visit Charleston.

Make reservations now, if not available ask to be put on wait list, they have a very generous cancellation policy, you can cancel 24 hours ahead and get refund. We have been on the wait list more times than I can remember, and with one exception have always gotten in.

PS...ocean is several miles down the road, but your camping pass will get you in the county's ocean beach free, no camping near beach there.

Enjoy http://www.ccprc.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/80
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

I made reservations at this campground about 6 months before we stayed their. We did request a pull thru site and the request was honored; one of the best campgrounds we have been to. I think we had either site 31 or 33 it was long enough to be able to pull the fiver (35ft) in and park the truck at either end of the site. You will need some boards or leveling pads to level the trailer and or motorhome. Our site took two 2X8 on one side under the wheels to level the trailer plus pads under legs and rear stabilizer legs. This was a full hook-up site water electric and sewer and rates were reasonable a lot less than Rivers End at Tybee Island GA and a much better campground also.

Jim W.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #9

I just called for September 12 for a week and I got in site 30 and pull through site it's on the corner they just converted it from a back in
Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean bound View Post
I just called for September 12 for a week and I got in site 30 and pull through site it's on the corner they just converted it from a back in
Enjoy. That is a great campground.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #11

Watch for trees

We stayed there 2 summers ago. Roads leading to campground had overhanging trees, especially in the outside lanes. We have a 45 foot bus and felt like we clobbered every branch in Charleston. The campground is very nice, but tough to get there if you have a taller rig. Also, trees may be a problem within the campground. Obviously, sat TV will not be possible from many sites.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #12

Has any one been there lately how are the trees leading to the camp ground
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KenandBarbie
We have just had a great at time in Charleston and really liked the James Island State Park site. Ours was a great site and from what we could see all the sites were pretty similar. No waste sewer connection but not a problem for us. As much as we loved Charleston we hated the overhanging trees on many of the roads in Charleston and in particular the access roads to James Island. I did my best to avoid the trees even if it meant driving on the wrong side of the road I have now checked my roof and I have scratches all over that I didn't have before. Ours is a 12' 6" height. It was so bad that we would not consider going back there to James Island even though once we got there we enjoyed it. We noticed on departure that there was a tree gang working on cutting back the trees on one of the access roads. Seriously if you worry about tree damage and you have a high rig you will not enjoy getting to James Island - and once you start down some of those roads you are committed and there is no option but to continue.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #14

I agree about the low limbs my radio ant.would hit every limb on the road to the cg.that was in my old gasser class A now have a ventana dp and am worried about going there but WE like the park so I'll have to try it.

Tags
campground