Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
James Island County CG -- site recommendation?

Are any sites more private than others? I hate to reserve sites unseen in campgrounds I have never been before but I feel I must do so this time and was wondering if anyone had any input on private sites at that CG -- Reason being is I have several dogs that I like to walk without disturbing other campers and sites at ends next to roads are a big plus or ones up against tree lines etc...

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some sites there that provide some 'privacy' due to trees, etc. There are a few at corners. Suggest you talk with them about your needs and see if they can recommend a site. Many of the pull-thrus near the campground store have a line of trees between the sites.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were there in June, and thought that Sites 63/64 would be good selections for a bit more privacy than the others. We weren't thinking about dog walking, just about where we'd like to be. It was also where I started deciding that I'd take pictures of the sites so we could make better future decisions. I only got about 26 of the site, but you can take a look at them on my Flickr account here.
We had a great time there, and are trying to figure out when we can get back during the Christmas season to see the park all lit up.

Steve
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you very much CurbCrusher that is super You have made my day. 64 looks very good - road in back of it may be good to walk the dogs on and easy to cut to through the back of the site?

You go the next step from what I do, which is write down in my log book, what sites I would like if I were to revisit a cg. It has come in so handy more times than I would have thought. I always take pictures of the sites I have been in in every cg visited also lol
I revisited one cg this past spring and they pulled a fast one on me -- They had a lumber crew come in and take out a bunch of the trees and brush so every site I had written down for future reference was completely open and devoid of all shade. Fortunately it was early season and empty so I was able to pick and choose.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
James Island County Park has the best doggy park I have ever had the pleasure to take our dog to. It is two football fields wide and long, maybe bigger, fenced, with water access. You most likely would prefer to drive to it, although it is probably a half to a mile from the CG. It really gives the dogs a workout playing with each other. We were in the site immediately across from the sidewalk leading to the office, Site #61. It is a pull through, but the hook-ups are at the very entrance to the site. I had no problems hooking up, but it is a consideration. It is private in that you have no one near you, but you do have neighbors across the street. We opted to take the dog to the doggy park and she loves it. It is a very nice area.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I have terriers so it is always easier to walk them away from other dogs. Even at dog shows, I prefer to park where it is easier for me to walk them - or is it they walk me hehe ...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
As far as "private" is concerned site 99 is most isolated on the door side - street side is a little close too 98. Sites 29, 31 and 33 are pull through with trees separating sites on both sides - somewhat of an isolated feel to them.

The field in the back is the overflow area and a good dog walk but must be on the leash - over at the lake is the dog island and is an off leash area.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your stay!

Buck
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Without knowing anything about the park and guessing what would be good from the map, I would have picked site 49, 54 or 55 due to the proximity to the gravel road to an overflow area - I usually tend to like to camp in the back of campgrounds and in back in areas, as they seem to be quieter with less traffic noise ( lol unless there is a train track there )

I haven't made a reservation yet, just called to check availiblilty -- they are 50 percent booked now so I probably better make them soon
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
Without knowing anything about the park and guessing what would be good from the map, I would have picked site 49, 54 or 55 due to the proximity to the gravel road to an overflow area - I usually tend to like to camp in the back of campgrounds and in back in areas, as they seem to be quieter with less traffic noise ( lol unless there is a train track there )

I haven't made a reservation yet, just called to check availiblilty -- they are 50 percent booked now so I probably better make them soon
Behind those sites are trees and a drainage ditch ( watch for red bugs/chiggers and poison ivy ) - access to the field is the gravel road on this end of the CG. Field is large and open with power lines running through. Traffic in the CG is not all that bad - most that I have noticed is down the center road on the drive through site end. While the ones you mention are excellent they are open to those on each side. If you are looking at the map on their web site, the area under the "Legend" box is all a large open grassy field with a view of the marsh.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is that a busy road behind site 64 or 99?
Map lists it as James Island Parkway
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
Is that a busy road behind site 64 or 99?
Map lists it as James Island Parkway

Road behind 99 is the main loop for the park - yes, there is traffic but there is also a tree/foliage buffer between the site and the road ( we have stayed there a number of times - road noise was never an issue with us ). Site 64 is right at the CG entrance - campers check in at the store right there - many leave unit/truck or ? running while they are doing that, water park is right across the road - when open there is some "Kids having fun" noises ( not a problem for us ). Sites along the overflow field are the most isolated other than the site to site exposure of some.

We have stayed at this CG many times, love the place and would recommend any of the sites you can get - am just trying to meet your criteria for private. Another possibility is 110, the dashed line is a path used by the primitive ( Boy Scouts ect. ) campers to access the bath house ( not a lot of this goes on really ) the gravel parking lot is for those campers and people using the climbing wall back there. This time of year most of that activity is minimal.

I know you will enjoy wherever you stay - try to plan on coming back in the Nov/Dec time frame for the "Festival of Lights" - excellent and we will be there for a week stay - hope to see you!

Take care and enjoy!!!

Buck
Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty much filled on all the sites I requested, I took 104 as it was pretty much the only one on the back row left.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #13

Thanks curbcrusher for the Flikr pics. We will be there at Christmas time in #65. Never been before but heard the lights were fantastic.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have vacationed in Charleston many times and love their Festival of lights display for the holidays. Me and the wifey dream on retiring in Charleston if possible. We are still at the dream stage because we have another 20-25 years to work first.