Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jekyll Island Georgia

The wife and I are looking to take an early spring vacation. Since we haven't been to Disneyworld in at least 20 years, a visit there is in the thoughts.
After giving the Disney trip some thought we decided maybe to look elsewhere and that would be a possible trip to Jekyll Island.
Has anyone visited there and what were you're thoughts. Is it a worthwhile vacation stop.
We are looking to take 2 weeks down and back from PA.

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
"It ain't nothing to write home about." Quoting a old friend of mine from years ago after he saw the Atlantic ocean for the first time.

Jekyll is state owned and as such is held in a fairly primitive condition from when the state of Georgia acquired it years ago. Interesting in some historical perspectives - the "Millionaires Village" etc. A few hotels there (spent my honeymoon there about a million years ago) and they have changed very little since then. I don't know of a decent restaurant there, although it has been a few years since we were there.
It is nice in that the sea turtles still come ashore there and lay their eggs. The island is full of biking and hiking trails if you are into that. The beaches are sort of lacking IMHO. Some areas are off limits for swimming.

The CG is under huge live oaks and they provide a cover where there is little shade. If you are there in warm weather, or even warming weather the bugs will love it - they bite like they have teeth!
On rating the CG on a 1-10 scale. I personally would give it about a 5.

It really ain't much to write home about.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have stayed at the campground on Jekyll Island. It has average facilities, the sites are shaded and reasonably sized. You will need a rental or toad to see much of anything on the island. There is little to do at the campground although you can walk to the fishing pier.

Another option in the area that I like better is Blythe Island Regional Park just to the south. Glynn County, GA - Official Website - Blythe Island Regional Park
Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey, there's been a lot of changes over the last 20 years at Disney World. It'll be a whole new experience for you, and you can't beat their campground.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

We've been to Jekyll Island a number of times, as well as Fort Wilderness in Disneyworld. My vote is for DISNEYWORLD!!! Hands down!! My husband and I went the last two springs - first just the two of us, then the family and grandchild - and we had a blast!!! Fort Wilderness is more beautiful now than ever! Be sure to check out all the pictures on their website's forum. Good luck in your decision!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to thank all of you for your replies, I really appreciate it.
Funny thing about Disney and Camp Wilderness, Back in 1977-78 6 of us all adults went there in about a 24' - 26' ? Itasca Class C, which at the time was my future in-laws. Here 30 years later I'm looking to do it again in our own 38' coach. Can't imagine how we all did it in the Itasca but we did and did it again 2 years later after my wife and I were married! My FIL is 81 years old and is still RV'ing it!
Now we've been to Disney over the last 20 years with our kids, staying in Disney hotels not camping.
But looking at their website I really didn't to much as changed, that's why I'm asking. I've had one person tell me that more has changed over at Universal than at Disney. Of course if we go we will be staying at fort Wilderness!

Jekyll Island we found out about by accident and it kind of looked like a nice place to go, but it sounds a little boring to me. And I hate boring!

But all in all with what I'm reading and thinking it may just be a trip back to Disney and getting fleeced by the rat again!

Take a look at Blythe island and may be a trip in the future since we have friends down there.

Regards and Best Wishes for the New Year
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #7

We were there the early part of November and spent a day on the island. I would spend at least a day there. We enjoyed ourselves. I assume you have their link:

Jekyll Island - It's All Good!

The Club Hotel is very neat:

Historic Georgia Resorts - Jekyll Island Club Hotel - Jekyll Island Hotel Deals; Georgia Resort Vacations

as is the Sea Turtle Center:

Female loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta-caretta) swim ashore, make their way across the sand, dig their nests and lay their eggs on Jekyll Island's Beaches. Designated a threatened species by law, loggerhead sea turtles have found safe haven on Jekyll
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #8

We wen to Jekyll Island after WDW Fort Wilderness in July of 2007. In our opinion, we did not like the RV park. It was shaded but a mess of old soggy leaves and the sites looked like they were laid out by 52 card pick up. The staff was very nice. The bugs were overwhelming.

The Sea Turtle Center was interesting but that was pretty much it. When we went, there were 2 restaurant, both average. And trying to find diesel on the island was iffy at best.

To us, it's a drive through experience or a way to torture teens on vacation.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

If you have the time visit Savannah. My wife and I stayed on on Tybee Island. We enjoyed the sites, parks and waterfront of Savannah so well that we extended our stay from 1 to 3 days.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did you find the sites there? I've read where they are to small for big rigs and you have a 43 footer?

Regards,
RovinOn
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #11

All of the above is accurate, in my opinion!

My wife and I work at WDW and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the entire resort.

There is NO better campground anywhere, again in my opinion.

Feel free to contact us.

Enjoy your tirp
Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
From Tybee Island to Blythe Island; they are called the "Sea Islands" by most. They include Tybee, St. Simon's, and Jekyll, and Blythe. St. Simon's Island is very interesting since the 5 richest mowt powerful families in America (at that time) developed St. Simon's strictly for their own winter retreat from the frozen north. Complete with it's own guard house, highway across the marsh, and large lavish mansions they built.
Jim
Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A week and half to og and we will be on our way!
We decided on WDW and are really really looking forward to this trip.
We were a bit worried in regards to our recent snow here in PA, but it has melted and I will be bringing the coach down to get it ready to go!
Anxious to hit the road, Have the Winter Blues and Cabin Fever real bad!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Georgia State Park: Skidaway Island gets my vote. It's 7 miles south of Savannah. At this time of year no bugs to worry about {Spring & summer they are bad along the coastal areas}. 50 amp, pull-thru's, wooded and lots of separation from neighboring RV's. Fifteen minute drive to Downtown Savannah. Kroger store approx. 2 mi. from entry drive. Not on the water; but an inland waterway marsh with 100 ft Live Oaks & spanish moss. Deal at $20/nite compared to congested Tybee Campground at $60 rate.

BTW: Other than Lighthouse, Tybee Isle is just another beach-bar-bungalow town. Quick visit if family -oriented. Party town for January 1st, Spring-breakers, etc. Savannah is the big draw with plenty to see & do. Take the tours & walk the squares. Far more entertaining than Jekyll Isle, IMHO....

>>At this late a date, you might already have reservations elsewhere. Just wanted to add this for others to consider. See gastateparks.org