Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
s8t

Joshua Tree to Death Valley

We are going from Twentynine Palms to Stovepipe Wells. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on the best route?
We are traveling in a 40ft DP towing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

If you Google Map it, you'll find 3 routes, one takes you through Mojave Preserve. I've run the Mojave Death Race twice through there and the roads are mostly two land and all paved. It's actually a good alternate to Vegas if the 15 is backed up. The other two take you through my town (Ridgecrest), which according to our billboard is the best way to Death Valley. I have driven both routes and so long as there's no monsoon, both are reasonable. That said, it is the desert and there are a lot of hills (mountains), curves and narrow roads.

If you take the Mojave preserve you can stop at the Mad Greeks in Baker, Ca for awesome gyros, it's a mid-point.

We are headed to Furnace Creek in two weeks, so we get to traverse Death Valley and go right through Stovepipe Wells.

Have fun!
Link to Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Twen...062109!3e0!5i1
skinsgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

We took 190 into Death Valley last fall and came out on 178, I would not recomme 190 from 395 if you're towing because of the grade and curves, but you don't really need to go that way, 178 was ok but not great. Next time I'll come into the park from the east side as proposed by the blue line in the Google link.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

. . .Don't know your timeframe but a drive thru Mojave Preserve is pretty nice ( you can boondocks at the Kelso Sand Dunes for a night if so desired )( Nice & Quiet ). . Up thru Baker & on to Tecopa & Shoshone ( have websites ). . .Shoshone has a decent RV Park with a volcanic heated swimming pool & you can feed the desert tortoise just behind the motel; also has an eatery there. . . China Ranch ( has website ) just out of Tecopa has THE BEST dates ever; & quite scenic with some good hikes & wildlife. . .Then head to Stovepipe. . .If you have time check out Panamint Springs Resort ( has website ) & the cool hike to Darwin Falls if you wish. . . Stay Happy & healthy. . .
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
s8t

Thanks for the responses. I have to go through (or to) Panamint Sprngs or Furnace Creek for fuel. Has anyone taken 127?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive 190 from Olancha to Panamint every year and it is a fairly easy route for me as long as I am taking it nice and slow on the downhill portions.

I would avoid buying fuel in DV if you can, it is usually double the price of anywhere else.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

. . .Many times on Hwy 127; get fuel in Baker. . .Shoshone is more expensive than DV for fuel, but, a nice place to stop for a drink or feed the desert tortoise . . .If you spend a night or 2 in Shoshone there are also several good hikes there but the volcanic heated pool is comfy. . .Gonna start being toasty there soon. . .From Baker until Dumont Dunes it is fairly level & then after Dumont Dunes there is a 5 mile climb that is not bad in a gasser so should be easy in a DP. . . Check out China Ranch; WONDERFUL dates & scenery & hikes! My friend Steve works there & his wife Colleen is the Postmaster at Shoshone. . . Send a private message if you want more info about the area. .
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote