RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
I put a lot of faith in reviews.... Hearing from folks that have actually experienced the CG is much more important to me that having some CG’s “blow smoke at me”

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadecool View Post
Does anyone have experience with Fireside Resort Buffalo Valley? It's location is great for touring the GTNP but it gets horrible reviews across multiple sites.
It does, indeed, get poor reviews for the $80/night. http://www.campgroundreviews.com/reg...lo-valley-3327

If you'd try to tour Yellowstone it's a far distance. You probably wouldn't want to do it more than one day.

If you need hookups then at least try for Colter Bay RV in the park itself or Headwaters RV - which doesn't get good reviews either but at least you're a lot closer.

Personally, we prefer Gros Ventre campground in Grand Teton NP. No reservations accepted but we've always gotten a site with our 40' MH. There's also Colter Bay campground, next to the RV park. Both are a LOT cheaper than the others.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It does, indeed, get poor reviews for the $80/night. Fireside Resort at Buffalo Valley - Moran, WY - Campground Reviews

If you'd try to tour Yellowstone it's a far distance. You probably wouldn't want to do it more than one day.

If you need hookups then at least try for Colter Bay RV in the park itself or Headwaters RV - which doesn't get good reviews either but at least you're a lot closer.

Personally, we prefer Gros Ventre campground in Grand Teton NP. No reservations accepted but we've always gotten a site with our 40' MH. There's also Colter Bay campground, next to the RV park. Both are a LOT cheaper than the others.
We are touring Yellowstone from the KOA outside western entrance. Gros Ventre and Colter Bay campgrounds are appealing but not being able to book ahead of time and lack of hookups give me pause. I’ve got reservations at Teton Valley resort in Victor, Idaho. If I don’t show I lose first nights deposit. My current plan is to leave West Yellowstone at daybreak, go straight to Gros Ventre and try for an electric site, and if I can snag one, burn my Idaho reservation. If not, I’ll just head on over to Victor via Teton Pass. Colter Bay is appealing in that they at least have showers nearby.
wadecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #60

An update to our trip, now just 37 days away. We have decided to travel from KY to SD via Indianapolis, Peoria, and Des Moines. It will be a 2 days drive with one night stay over in between.

7/17 - leave home at 3am arrive Des Moines West KOA 3pm

7/18 - Des Moines West KOA to Keystone, SD 6am to 5pm

7/19 - Tour Badlands, Mt Rushmore

7/20 - rapid city to Cody, WY via Gillette, WY 9am to 5pm. 2 nights in Cody, seeing Museum and driving Beartooth Highway.

7/22 - Cody, WY to West Yellowstone KOA 9am to 3pm

7/27 - West Yellowstone to Jackson WY 7am to 1pm. Tour Tetons and Jackson.

7/29 - Jackson to Cheyenne KOA 8am to 4pm

7/30 - Cheyenne KOA to KC East KOA 3am-3pm

7/31 - KC KOA to home 8am to 6pm
Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 AM   #61

On 7/20 if your route includes 14 or 16 from Buffalo or Sheridan to Cody beware there are some very steep grades and tight switchbacks on both routes. Some grades are 10 percent. So downhill is tricky. Makes for slow going. You might consider taking I 90 to Billings and then go south through Red lodge to Cody. Nice highway all the way.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzent View Post
On 7/20 if your route includes 14 or 16 from Buffalo or Sheridan to Cody beware there are some very steep grades and tight switchbacks on both routes. Some grades are 10 percent. So downhill is tricky. Makes for slow going. You might consider taking I 90 to Billings and then go south through Red lodge to Cody. Nice highway all the way.
I'll be towing a 9,000lb travel trailer with a DRW F-350 diesel rated for 21,000lbs. I'm planning on taking 16 but I think the truck should handle the grades pretty well. I do appreciate the heads up.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #63

Wadecool

Just last Wed, 6/5 we decided to drive to West Y’Stone, MT, Y’Stone NP and the O/F INN for lunch. (kind of a celebration of my ladies completion of her Radiation Therapy) 10/10:30 AM the line at the west entrance station was 3 lanes wide and about 1/2 block long, (we went directly thru in the far right lane with our “senior pass”) there was just a few minor Bison looky look slowdowns between West Y’Stone, MT and Madison Junction.

However it took us about an hour to go 4-5 miles between Madison Junction and the Lower Geyser Basin! The hold up was just about the largest Herd of Bison that we have ever seen in the 55 years that we have lived in Idaho! Of course there is usually more animals early in the summer rather than later on. They must of stretched a city block along both sides of the road and on it. They will just stand in the middle of the road not moving and stare you down, then as you gradually inch forward they will SLOWLY walk down the road in front of you before walking off the road! In my post #11, I said that the Bison think that they OWN the road, THEY DO!

Probably those visitors that were an hour ahead or an hour behind of us didn’t see a animal! LOL!

BTW- #16 i WY is somewhat less steep than #14 or 14A and would be better choice. Either one is a beautiful drive SOLO!
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #64

Great trip plan!! Did something very similar last summer and just got back from a return trip to Custer.

One suggestion - perhaps try to fit in the rodeo in Cody. A lot of fun!
Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:00 AM   #65

I want to thank everyone again for all of the great advice! We are a week out now from pulling out of KY and are very excited. It will be me, wife, two 12 year old girls and my aunt piled into a crew cab truck for several days in a row. I suppose it's time to teach the girls how to play the license plate game.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadecool View Post
We are a week out now from pulling out of KY and are very excited. It will be me, wife, two 12 year old girls and my aunt piled into a crew cab truck for several days in a row. I suppose it's time to teach the girls how to play the license plate game.
Pack LOTS of snacks & stop often to stretch. Everyone will have a ball. Be sure to report back on the goods and bads. Hopefully.... all good!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #67

Wadecool

Just remember that Teton Pass between Jackson (Wilson) and Victor is 10% grade both sides for about 5 miles with a couple of 25- 30 MPH curves thrown in just to increase the Pucker Factor. If you go this way turn Left at the flashing light in Victor, the RV Park will be about 1/2 mile on your right.

The alternative towing the RV would be South from Jackson on 26, 89,191 for12 miles to the traffic circle at Hoback Junction, take the first exit on right on 26, 89 along the Snake River Canyon to Alpine, WY right on 26 to Swan Valley, ID turn right on 31 (stop at the Rainey Creek Store, lots of parking and get the girls a hand dipped SQUARE ice cream, dish or cone, square ice cream obviously tastes better) you will go over Pine Creek Pass, piece of cake compared to Teton Pass. RV Park will be on your right just before getting into Victor.

Have a wonderful never to be forgotten trip!

1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone