Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

June 2014 Trip

Last June we took our 4 youngest children (ranging from 8 - 11 years old) on the "Trip of a Lifetime"! We went from the Raleigh, NC area to southern CA and back. It was a 4 week adventure in our 32' Forest River Sunseeker towing a 2003 Honda Odyssey.
We are now gearing up for "2014 Trip of a Lifetime: The Sequel". We plan to spend the month of June on the road again. This time we'd like to see all the northeast US and parts of Canada. I grew up outside (waaaaaay outside) Buffalo, and Niagara Falls was a regular outing for us. I want my kids to see it now, as well as Toronto and Montreal if possible.

So, here I am again asking all of the experienced folks: what are the must sees; the best campgrounds; best routes keeping in mind how we travel; and anything and everything that would help us plan and make lifetime memories for our family.

Still traveling with our 4 youngest (now 9 - 12 years old) and again for about 4 weeks.
I am looking forward to hearing back from you all as I have found advice on this forum to be priceless!
Thanks, Stacey
(also, can anyone tell me how to get that US map avatar to show states traveled?)
5xhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

Just read all the replies to the "Northeast Campgrounds" for Frankie Z. If you replied to him, I've got it ....no need to retype for me!

Still looking forward to all the information that you all have gleaned!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll just list a few

~ Kennywood amusement Park (Pittsburgh)

~ Watkins Glen (SW. New York)

~ Hocking Hills (SE. Ohio)

~ Stowe Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory (Northern VT.)

~ Lake Placid (NE. New York)

~ Franconia Notch (White Mtns of NH.)

~ Shenandoah National Park (Northern VA.)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks Superslif,
I'll definitely take a look at all of these!
Forgot about Watkins Glen....and Kinzer Dam that I saw on another post.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

Make that Kinzua Dam :-)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're going into Canada make sure you have valid passports for everyone.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 5xhappy,
On going into Canada, go to Tips for Crossing the Border into Canada and What Do I Need to Know about Crossing the Canada / U.S. Border with Children

You'll have no problem going into Canada. Be prepared for returning to the USA. I traveled the world for 20 years and the absolute worst immigration officers were the USA officers. Try Border Crossing | Niagara Falls Tourism for an overview. Make sure you know the documentation you'll need to get you and all your family back into the USA in one piece. Nothing like having your kids hauled into "protective custody" to ruin your day.

Inside the USA give the Boston area a good look. There are a bunch of Revolutionary War sights to see. All are first class. In Vermont is the original Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory. In New Hampshire there is Mt. Washington (the world's worst weather). If you go, drive to the top. Hold onto the little kids. The last time we were there (in the summer) the winds were over 70 MPH! It is quite an experience. In Maine there is the Acadia NP.

These are just the highlights.

A word of warning, to not use your cell phone near the border or in Canada. Even in the USA you might get picked up by a tower in Canada. There is a tremendous cost for international cell phone use.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #8

Thanks Gary,
Last year you gave us great info about our cross country trip and we took your advice on a lot of it. Thanks ever so much!

I am working on passports as we speak (write?). I just read one of the links you sent and saw that we don't need passports for children under 15 but would need certified copies of birth certificates. Living outside Buffalo we crossed the Peace Bridge many times as a kid and young adult. But I realize that times have changed and I'm sure being in a RV, my husband being Cuba born, and my children of varying ethnicities may cause us a bit of a headache. I think I'll go ahead with the passports.

The wind in OK was horrible last June....not sure I'm ready for high winds again!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is a follow up on Kinzua Bridge State Park NW. PA. Here are a few pictures of the bridge Kinzua Bridge "Sky Walk" or Google pictures. Two years ago they finished the sky walk. Here is a link to why its called the Kinzua Bridge sky walk
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey...

We took the grandkids on the greatest trip last year. We traveled from the northeast to Washington DC. We stayed at Cherry Hill Campground, a wonderful place and we took the bus every day to places downtown. The kids loved the place. The pools and the gamerooms were wonderful and they talked into the night about the museums we visited each day.

On the way home we stopped at Hershey Park and they had a couple of days there.

Think about that for the 2014 trip of the year!!!!!

Faith, Bob, and the Pups....
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Fansill,

We actually did the DC trip last March. And we stayed at Cherry Hill also. It was a little chilly to think about swimming but we took the bus to the subway station each day and went into DC. It was great for them figuring out our transfers etc.! Turned out to be fairly expensive way for 6 of us to travel but was fun nonetheless:-)

I do have Hershey on my itinerary right now. I remember going there a looooong time ago.....don't think the amusement park was even there yet at that time. My husband and I were back there again about 10-15 years ago and had a great time.
Where did you camp in Hershey?