Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't call it a "snub". It's just the way they run their business. Private businesses are allowed to set rules on rental of spaces. If they can fill the park using their rules then that's what they do.
Find another place and go there instead.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
When the DW retired in 2010 we went to FL in March and picked a nice CG just south of where my sister lives. The first year we stayed for about 2-weeks and it cost us about $600. When we departed we found out that if you stay by the month it still cost about $600. They prefer to rent by the month but will rent for the week or day at a much higher cost. They prefer to have you arrive on the first of the month and leave on the last day of the month. That's just how they do business. They have enough business and they can do it that way. They are very busy in the fall and through April and May. That's when it gets to hot and the snow birds go home. I guess the CG is like a ghost town for the hot summer. They have to make their $$$$$ when they can.

If we picked a prime sight for a month we would get it unless somebody else came in and wanted it for 2 or 3 months. Then they would get it because the CG is being guaranteed a rental for a 3 month stay.

We don't like some of the uncertainty but that's how most of the CG's all around the Daytona area do it so what's a guy going to do. We have been able to get a months stay for the last 4 springs. If the time comes when we can't we'll just go to another part of the country.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Nope; not buying it. Forcing campers to Pay for a week or we don't want you is not good business.

I may have stayed 3 nights this time and I may have returned for a longer stay if I liked it but now they better be nice to their existing summer customers cuz , that's all they will have if they keep that practice going.

Personally, I wont stay anywhere where the customer isn't first. That " don't need you, got tons of customers" approach always comes back to bite ya.

Why not turn awAy customers who don't pay for a month? Or the summer? Or a year? Oh wait, there are already businesses who sell lots ... Castaways? No thanks!

Sure it might bite them, it is a strategic decision made by businesses all the time. Netflix comes to mind. Whew.

It is a risk to a degree but either way they are going to turn someone down.
Who would you (generic you) pick?

This is obviously a very busy resort at least for now so they need to do something. They say we can't take you for three days, or they say sorry we cannot accommodate you for a week; or the even more exciting, if you came for a week you will have to move once or twice. The policy is probably based on past experience and the best method of accommodating the most people for the most time. Or maybe they are just mean and stupid. I'm thinking the former.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
I read this thread and then went onto their website to see what the original poster was talking about. By the time I left the website I had booked 5 nights (Thurs. to Tues.) of Memorial Day weekend. We won't be right on the beach, but it is a very highly rated CG. The online booking process was pretty easy and the deposit policy is reasonable. All of the reviews on Rvparkreviews were very positive, mostly 9s and 10s... Somewhat pricy as 5 nights were a little over $500, but most of the reviewers said it was worth the admission... So we'll see. I'm just psyched that I have Memorial Day weekend set at some place I've been wanting to check out. I'll report back after we come back to let you all know if I still feel the same afterwards...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #19
It is no different than any seasonal vacation destination rentals. During the peak summer rental season most people take a week of vacation and that is how it is booked. In our area you can't even find anything that is not Saturday to Saturday much less just a few days.
If the places just rented for a few days while everyone was trying to book a week, they would have more angry customers.
Until there are more camping spots than customers it will likely stay that way.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
Never been there myself, but sounds like it's the kind of place that is extremely busy. It's not good business for them to book just weekends and have only weekdays available. Since, as someone else indicated, it's a "destination park", they can't have all their weekends booked and tell other that they can have only weekdays if they want to come and stay. People want to stay a week or more will be left out.

If they are packed based on their requirements, who is anyone to say they're running their park wrong.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just received the following email from Castaways:

12550 Eagles Nest Road
Berlin MD 21811
(410) 213-0097

January 10, 2014

We are pleased to announce that effective January 10, 2014, Sun Communities Inc./Sun RV Resorts has acquired Castaways RV Resort & Campground.

The Sun Team is very excited to meet and hear from all guests, and we look forward to providing a smooth transition for all of our valued customers. In addition, we are very excited to share all of our plans for new improvements scheduled to take place at Castaways in the future, as they are finalized.

Sun Communities, Inc. has owned and operated RV resorts and manufactured housing communities for over 35 years. Currently, Sun operates 188 communities in 27 states, serving over 150,000 residents and guests. Please visit and www.suncommunities.com to learn more about us.

Guests can continue to contact and make reservations directly at Castaways by calling (410) 213-0097 and inquire about availability for the 2014 season.

Finally, please join us in congratulating Todd and Jack Burbage for creating a fantastic resort.

Thank you for the many years you have called Castaways RV Resort & Campground your vacation destination. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Sun RV Resorts & Sun Communities, Inc.

2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote