Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Just moved to Central Florida and looking???

Just moved from Louisiana to Central Florida. We are a young family, in our 30's with two children. We are looking for a campground that is friendly for young families. We do a lot of weekend camping so something within a 2-3 hour drive of Lakeland, Fl is preferrable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

you must try Yogi Bear in Madison FL my kids love it

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Madison FL | Just another WordPress site
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to Florida. You have landed in the best state for outdoor activities. Most of which you can pursue 12 months a year!

There are at least 10 Florida state parks within a 2 hour drive, and they are the best state parks in the country!

More information including a interactive may can be found here: https://www.floridastateparks.org/

Happy Camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #4

Be very careful!! Floridians have warned me to watch out for little old men wearing a baseball cap on crooked with their turn signals on who will turn in the opposite direction from what they indicate.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Be very careful!! Floridians have warned me to watch out for little old men wearing a baseball cap on crooked with their turn signals on who will turn in the opposite direction from what they indicate.

NO No NO! We little old men wear our baseball caps on STRAIGHT while we have our turn signals in the opposite direction to what way we are going. Crooked is for young whippersnappers.

The turn signal does NOT necessarily indicate direction, but rather "WATCH OUT, I am turning........................................... ............... eventually.)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Springs State Park and Lake Louisa State Park are 2 of our favorite parks. When it's cold out there are lots of Manatee in Blue Spring. While we've not been yet, we're told Ginnie Spring is great!

Welcome to the forum and Central FL!
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Central Fl. Campgrounds

We live in the Orlando area. No kids, but I do know what they tend to like. So here are some ideas.... Splurge at Christmas and go to Fort Wilderness. You have to make reservations early in the year, but TOTALLY worth it to see the campers decorations. Now for "regular" park ideas.... Wekiva Falls in Sorrento - just north of Orlando is a great place. Swimming in the springs, in the pool, canoeing, etc. Great times. New Smyrna Beach Campground. Great pool and near the beach. If you want to be on the beach, The Coral Sands Hotel in Ormond Beach has a campground beside the hotel. It is a bit more expensive, but you can use the hotel pool and facilities as needed. In Winter Haven, there are several campgrounds by Legoland if you want to take the kids there. Tropical Palms on Hwy 192 in Orlando is another fun place. Great pool with restaurant, and right next to Old Town for fun also. As a previous poster noted, we have a bunch of state parks that are awesome. Enjoy.
jenbeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Thanks jenbeau1, just booked a weekend in April at Wekiva.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ocala national forest has some beautiful campgrounds and the canoeing/kayaking on the natural spring sourced creeks and rivers are a real treat.

There are a lot of great state parks in Florida, just be aware though, you must reserve a site up to a year in advance. Sites suitable for a tent or pop-up may be a bit more available.

You're close and I agree you must take the kids to Fort Wilderness (Disney) at least once, but I wouldn't necessarily take them for Christmas. All things Disney are mobbed during the holidays. And don't think you have to be going to the theme parks to enjoy the campground. There's a LOT to do that doesn't require theme park tickets, both at the campground and other Disney venues in the area.

Welcome to central Florida!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
There are a lot of great state parks in Florida, just be aware though, you must reserve a site up to a year in advance. Sites suitable for a tent or pop-up may be a bit more available.

Welcome to central Florida!
As a camper in Florida State Parks for over 40 years, I must respectfully take exception to the above statement.

A vast majority of state parks in Florida do NOT require a site reservation a year in advance.

Certainly, during the busy winter months, some, like the ones in the Keys, will require a reservation made as far in advance as possible. (11 months)

Happy camping.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblanchard View Post
Just moved from Louisiana to Central Florida. We are a young family, in our 30's with two children. We are looking for a campground that is friendly for young families. We do a lot of weekend camping so something within a 2-3 hour drive of Lakeland, Fl is preferrable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What is your camper? Tent, pop up, truck, B, C, A? Do you need hook ups or are you a real camper like I was in my 30's. It does make a difference on recommendation.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Wife won't let me be a real camper lol. I have a 42ft fifth wheel and I do like full hook-ups including sewer.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice Rig! Florida State Parks are the best. Go to the Website & look at the different sites-make a reservation at the one you choose/subject to availability. We go to at least one a month, and like/love them all. You cannot miss-and yes, some of them are so popular that you have to book way ahead-but the website will walk you through availability issues.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida