Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kanab, UT

Planning to visit the Bryce Canyon/Grand Staircase and Zion Nat'l Park area in January...planning to base out of Kanab, UT because of travelmates with no RV staying in a motel.

Already found that the largest RV park in Kanab is closed for the winter...guess there will be few, if any crowds. Just the way we like it.

Traveling with a Class A and Toad.
Also traveling with dogs, which makes a nice fenced off-lease pet area a perk in any campground

Any tips?

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We're headed that way also. Still working on the details!

Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #3

Kanab is one of my favorite places. A famous hotel along with many other modern ones. There is a RV park just north in town of Carmel Junction. Good luck.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #4

Thumbs up Kanab Campgrounds

We were there last year in May, found a very nice Campground about 15 miles north of Kanab, halfway between Zion & Brice . It was a Luthern Church Campground and was off the main road about 2 miles. It was the best place to stay, full hookups and open to all , and every night herds of Deer would roam thru the entire and just walkup to your site . Very reasonably priced , not sure when it is open or closed.
Gpsmith620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #5

We stayed at the KOA near Bryce when we were there in September two years ago. Hope you’re bringing your skis or snow shoes if you’re visiting Bryce in January. You’ll likely need them.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trip planned for that area in June 2018. Made reservations in early November and will spend 6 nights at Kanab RV Corral. Kanab is the last stop on a 4 week adventure in southern Utah.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Kanab has been on of our yearly places to visit. Mainly because of "Best Friends Animal Sanctuary" located in Kanab, Ut. It's the place Former NFL player Mike Vick's dogs ended up. We also volunteer at the Sanctuary while there.

I'd encourage anyone passing through to stop by and visit. They do have a couple of RV campsites, but they are closed this time of year. They also rent out Cottages and Motel rooms year round and needless to say PETS ARE WELCOME!

Please Google them and take their free tour of the Sanctuary while there. You will enjoy the visit!
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbap View Post
Kanab has been on of our yearly places to visit. Mainly because of "Best Friends Animal Sanctuary" located in Kanab, Ut. It's the place Former NFL player Mike Vick's dogs ended up. We also volunteer at the Sanctuary while there.

I'd encourage anyone passing through to stop by and visit. They do have a couple of RV campsites, but they are closed this time of year. They also rent out Cottages and Motel rooms year round and needless to say PETS ARE WELCOME!

Please Google them and take their free tour of the Sanctuary while there. You will enjoy the visit!
Our video Jan. 3 features both camping near Kanab and a brief visit to Best Friends in Angel Canyon. Their "Angel's Rest" animal cemetery is both strikingly beautiful and very moving. I was quite literally choked up while filming. They're an amazing facility and very deserving of attention to the work that they do.

To the OP: it sounds like you're planning on a campground, but if you'd like my boondocking spot which was beautiful, let me know and I'll supply coordinates.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Trip planned for that area in June 2018. Made reservations in early November and will spend 6 nights at Kanab RV Corral. Kanab is the last stop on a 4 week adventure in southern Utah.
We stayed a week there last year for the same purpose. Convenient to Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim.
Great place!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't recommend the Crazy Horse Campground east of downtown!!! You may have to do battle with the crazy woman (long term resident) over the clothes washers and dryers!!! Just ask my wife!!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #11

When we were driving from Kanab to Bryce Canyon National Park in 2016 we saw this small patch of hoodoos from highway 89 about 30 miles north of Kanab:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...campground.jpg
It appeared to be behind Bryce Zion Campground:
Bryce Zion Campground
I haven't been to the campground so I can't comment on it. It might be worth considering.
The photo is courtesy Trip Advisor who has reviews of the campground
RoadLesTrvld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLesTrvld View Post
When we were driving from Kanab to Bryce Canyon National Park in 2016 we saw this small patch of hoodoos from highway 89 about 30 miles north of Kanab:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...campground.jpg
It appeared to be behind Bryce Zion Campground:
Bryce Zion Campground
I haven't been to the campground so I can't comment on it. It might be worth considering.
The photo is courtesy Trip Advisor who has reviews of the campground
They are indeed eye-catching! When I saw them from highway 89 last month I wanted to stop to get a photo, but I couldn't find a quick place to pull over with my rig.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #13

We stayed in Jacob Lake Arizona and drove to Bryce for the day, first part of October, the wind was blowing 40 mph and it was 44 degrees then! Take your long underwear! Bryce was crowded couldn't get in some of the overlooks, we didn't try Zion because its more popular than Bryce.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #14

Has anyone been to the pink sand dunes? We didn't have time.