Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

Keep an eye on other dogs...

We stopped at the Pioneer "resort" in port Aransas Texas and paid for a week stay in advance. We called in advance to see if they allowed pets they did allow "small pets" and not large pets and certain breeds. Any others had to be approved by park management. The second day there my better half was attacked by one of the size and breeds they said they didn't allow. Our little dog was also attacked and badly injured. $2500.00 in vet and doctor bills later we have still not even received an apology letter or any assistance from the camp ground. We had to leave after the attack and have not received a refund from the camp ground. If it hadn't been for a very nice lady there in her RV who took us in her vehicle to the vet and doctor our pet may have died and we wouldn't have gotten to the doctors in a timely fashion to have the wounds treated. Needless to say we now have an attorney helping us.
If you happen to stay at this park don't expect any assistance from the park if you have any problem. They have no night security and are located out of town far from the police patrols. We notified several park employees and received no assistance whatever from any of them. We couldn't even contact any of them from the doctors office to ask them to please go to our unit and close our door which had been left open due to to our rush off to the doctors. When we got back that night our door was still standing open. The general manager is in south Padre an hour and a half away.
Good luck if you stay there and have any kind of an emergency, don't expect any assistance from anyone at the park. You are on your own.
resindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am so sorry that your pup was seriously injured. I know it cost a lot of money, but I do hope that the dog will be OK.

Have you contacted the owner of the dog since he is the one ultimately responsible for the dog.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm glad to hear that you have retained the services of an attorney. Not only should the owner of the dog be sued and made to pay all your vet bills, but the campground should also be sued for allowing dogs in their park that are expressly prohibited by their written rules.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
"Other Dogs"

I'm sorry to hear about your pet's injuries. I hope he/she gets alright. I am always concerned about other dogs and try keep a close watch. You didn't say exactly how you were attacked. Were you just walking down the road and the other dog was unleashed? Were you just passing another person with the "other" dog walking by, on a leash? Would a weapon (short of a gun) have been of any help to you?

Roland
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #5

That's too bad, I hope your other half and dog recover quickly.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about the Better Half and your pup, hope both recover quickly. I see a lot of owners with small dogs cary a "walking" stick. We have had a few problems with unleashed dogs comming at me and the "pup" (110 lb Lab Mix). Only a few got close enough to her for trouble, luckily they were smart enough to realize it was a loosing effort and retreat. I still hate it when I have to seperate or prevent a fight especially when mine is always leashed.
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That is my worse fear. My 70 pound Husky is so strong it is unbelievable. We have a special training collar whenever we take her outside and she is ALWAYS leashed. Just this past trip to San Antonio I was coming back from the dog run, Miya was leashed, and a lab puppy (about 1 year old) was outside with his master and unleashed. Of course he wanted to come "play." Miya in not unfamiliar growls when he got close made him back off real quick. I had Miya by the short collar and I had her under control, but it is frightening because of the dog continues to come all heck will break loose.

I am so sorry to hear that it happened to you. I wish you and your puppy a very speedy recovery. I'm glad you have retained a lawer and I hope you at least recoup your money. That may be just enough deterrent to make the owner abide by the rules - next time.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was road working a pair of my Malamutes (that is me on a bike and and them gaiting next to me on a coupler) we were attacked by a German Shepard. As my guys were coupled, that leaves them at a distinct disadvantage to defend themselves.

One of my girls sustained a gash to her hindquarters. I was so furious that I nearly took apart the shepard. I do not let my dogs run loose and expect the same from other dog owners. I also used to own an obedience school so know how to break up a dog fight.

I called the police and as this was starting to become common, my dogs being attacked by loose ones, I asked them what I could do.

The officer told me to get mace (the kind that streams). He said it would stop the attacking dog cold. BOY was he right! The next time it happened (only one week later). I spayed it in front of the dog (it shot out about 8 or ten feet away from me). With their sensistive noses, that dog looked like he hit a brick wall and took off running the opposite direction and I never touched him with it (although I legally could).

Even for walks, now, I NEVER leave without my mace. Since I got it, I've had to use it a number of times but neither me or my dogs have ever been injured again and I have never needed to actually hit the attacking dog with the stream.

I hope that this helps someone else.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote