Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Kentucky Derby 2014

anyone stayed near Churchhill downs for Kentucky Derby?
looking for a an RV site?

John
John Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

John... I live in the area. How close do you want to be for this event? You can stay at the KY Fairgounds....which is quite close. Grandma's in Shepardsville....10 miles. KOA in Shepardsville .... 13 miles. Or Walmart Parking lot in Okolona .... Tell me what you are looking for?
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

Derby

Thanks for quick response. We stay a Walmart often but a campground maybe in order. I will be filling one of my bucket list items.
Not sure how long the stay will be but plan to see the Derby for sure?
Traveling from my daughters in Indiana, to Kentucky, on to Nashville, Memphis, back through Missouri back to Colorado.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John
John Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

This place is also close, but spensive

RV Parking

I drive by Churchill Downs every day. As Gocoffeer state, there are sites at the Kentucky Fair and Expo Center (which is not much more than a parking lot). There is a KOA in Jeffersonville, IN which is right across the river, the KOA in Shepherdsville and Grandma's in Shepherdsville. On Derby Day, you'll want to find a shuttle in and out as traffic is a complete nightmare.

I leave Louisville on Derby Day

Anything close to Louisville will be hard to get into on Derby Day if you don't already have reservations.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Grandma's in Shepherdsville, down I-65 exit 161. Map shows about 19 miles south of the track. Nice RV park for 2 or 3 nights. Better get reservations NOW, if it isn't already too late.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

Here is a thought that you might use in light of a decent point that topdown has made....the KY Fair & Expo is an over flow park and ride for the KY Derby. You will be able to get a shuttle to and from there to the ChurchHill Downs. Both private and public transportation will make regular stops there.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
This place is also close, but spensive

RV Parking

I drive by Churchill Downs every day. As Gocoffeer state, there are sites at the Kentucky Fair and Expo Center (which is not much more than a parking lot). There is a KOA in Jeffersonville, IN which is right across the river, the KOA in Shepherdsville and Grandma's in Shepherdsville. On Derby Day, you'll want to find a shuttle in and out as traffic is a complete nightmare.

I leave Louisville on Derby Day

Anything close to Louisville will be hard to get into on Derby Day if you don't already have reservations.
I also recommend the Fair & Expo Center if you want to be in town.

Re: Expo Five above. That is a shady part of town, I would not recommend staying there, even though it is very close to Churchill Downs. I guess there are a lot of RVs there for Derby which would increase safety some.....But still, it is not the impression of Louisville I like visitors to see.

If you really want to save money, I have a fenced in lot behind one of my stores near Churchill Downs I'll rent you for half of what Expo Center charges