Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Ketchikan or Juneau?

Will be traveling to Haines from Port Rupert on the ferry and have a choice of an afternoon stop in either Ketchikan or Juneau along the way (leaving the following morning.) Which would you choose?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Juneau. Much more to see or do there.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #3

OK there's one vote

Ship arrives at Juneau at 3:45 PM so probably won't be able to do much but walk around the port area a bit and take in dinner.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #4

Unfortunately you're not giving yourself a lot of time to do things. If you get to Juneau early enough, a helicopter tour of the glacier is awesome. We liked both places
Old 04-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Alas we don't determine the schedule, the ferry operator does. It seems that all the layovers are either from late afternoon until morning or overnight. I guess if we want to spend enough time to do anything we will have to get off and take a future sailing.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Alas we don't determine the schedule, the ferry operator does. It seems that all the layovers are either from late afternoon until morning or overnight. I guess if we want to spend enough time to do anything we will have to get off and take a future sailing.
That's basically what we did. I planned the trip several months ahead of time to arrive one day, spend the next day where we stopped, and catch a ferry the following day. We did this at Ketchikan, Wrangell, Sitka, Juneau, and left the ferry at Skagway. Of all those, I wish we had spent several days at Juneau. There is indeed a lot to do/see there.

A few of the numerous other places/things we enjoyed were the Kennicott Mine, panning for gold at Chicken, and Dawson City.

Also, during the Summer it doesn't get twilight up there until 11:00 PM or so.

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
Old 04-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

We took the Alaskan Ferry once and we had a good 3-4 hours in the afternoon at each stop for Ketchikan and Juneau. A small tour bus was waiting at the dock for anyone who wanted to drive out to Mendenhall Glacier and another for a city tour. We weren't interested in any city and we really enjoyed the Glacier tour. In Ketchikan we had ample time to walk the unique little town, view the awesome totems and tour a museum.

I wonder if you'd look at a little different time period or ferry, if you could get better timing. We did get off at Skagway if that would make the schedule different. We also left from Bellingham, WA. Our ferry was the Matanuska. Are you taking the BC Ferry, by chance? Again, we did the Alaska Marine Highway Ferries.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
OK there's one vote

Ship arrives at Juneau at 3:45 PM so probably won't be able to do much but walk around the port area a bit and take in dinner.
There is nothing in the area of t he ferry terminal, at least not 10 years ago when we were last there. It's about 8 miles to the downtown area and probably a little less to the Glacier so finding a bus, either local or sightseeing, is a good idea. We used the local bus a few times and found it pretty efficient and cost effective.

We had bicycles and used them to get to various places including to and from the ferry terminal going to Sitka and Skagway (no RV that trip).
Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
So what's wrong with getting off and spending some time at each? We got on the ferry at Haines, got off at Juneau and spent a week there. Then got back on and went to Sitka and spent four days there. Back on again and got off at ketchikan. Then back on and got off for good at Price Rupert.

At each of those places, if you don't get off and explore, all you're gonna see is the yahoo tourist joints....not the native area in all of it's glory. You will not be doing yourself any favors by not spending time at each, and since you're already there, why not?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #10

I would agree with Ron, I wish we had spent more time at each of the places we stopped.

We did the trip in a TC (11.4' Caribou) and used it for transportation to everyplace we chose to visit with no problems.

Most of the time we stayed in NF and BLM campgrounds, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, and a similar retailer in YT, along with a few other campgrounds and just along the road in several places. Some of the most memorable were a campground along the Yukon River across from Dawson City, and along the road near one of the original RR trestles on the way to Kennicott.

Steve
Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Wondering about what you folks did concerning perishables in your refrigerator/freezer? Apparently the propane supply must be turned off while on the ferry and so we can't trust that food will stay sufficiently cool for several days even if we add ice. Our terminus is Haines and it looks like there is a grocery store of sorts there, it is sufficient to re-stock? (expensive no doubt)

Edit: Found a weekly flyer online for the IGA grocery store and it actually doesn't look too bad at all.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #12

I would do dry ice. Works for shipping meat or fish!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #13

Our longest trip on the ferry was from Wrangell to Sitka, probably 12-14 hours (?), so we did not have a problem with perishables in the freezer/refrigerator. Our refrigerator seemed to stay cold that long. I would think if you are concerned that dry ice would work as Dave suggests, if you can find it. We used it one time to freeze some elk meat in a cooler for a 3-4 day trip from OR to WV in the trunk of a car during Summer. It was still frozen when we arrived.

I would find out what time is involved for your longest ferry ride and test the refrigerator at home to see how long it will stay cold when turned off.

We left the ferry at Skagway so I don't know anything about Haines, but there was never a problem getting supplies/food in the month+ time we were there. In that respect there isn't much difference between down here and up there, it can just be a little farther between towns.

Have a wonderful time.

Steve
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Wondering about what you folks did concerning perishables in your refrigerator/freezer? Apparently the propane supply must be turned off while on the ferry and so we can't trust that food will stay sufficiently cool for several days even if we add ice. Our terminus is Haines and it looks like there is a grocery store of sorts there, it is sufficient to re-stock? (expensive no doubt)

Edit: Found a weekly flyer online for the IGA grocery store and it actually doesn't look too bad at all.
Each time we got on the ferry, I asked one of the workers (vehicle parking people) if I could plug into one of their 120vac outlets. On each of the ferries, they said sure....if I had a long extension cord...which I did. However, I also used my surge protector...just in case. Fridge stayed cold on each leg of our ferry trip.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote