Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Key West

Heading to the Keys on the 1st of August with DW and 17 & 18 year old (boy/girl). any ideas? Adult for the wife and me and stuff for the family to do together and just for the kids!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

They run a great, day trip, to the Dry Tortugas.

They supply breakfast, lunch, drinks and snorkel gear. Clear, clear water, sandy beach's, showers and a giant fort to tour.

Also have a all day water sports package. Lots to do there.

Wife loves the Buterfly conservatory. Walk among them, in a big cage.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In what part of the keys are you staying? There's a ton of stuff to keep you going for quite a while...snorkel trip from Bahia Honda, rent kayaks and paddle, walk around KW, Hemingway house, fishing, eating...the list is endless.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Heading to the Keys on the 1st of August with DW and 17 & 18 year old (boy/girl). any ideas? Adult for the wife and me and stuff for the family to do together and just for the kids!
First and foremost a few qualifying questions. Where are you staying? or do you need recommendations? Do you plan to spend time doing water activites, or mostly land excursions? Do you/kids like to fish? and lastly have you ever been before?

Those few answers will get you plenty of recommendations im sure.

We were just there in March and heading back in a couple weeks for another stint...
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostable View Post
First and foremost a few qualifying questions. Where are you staying? or do you need recommendations? Do you plan to spend time doing water activites, or mostly land excursions? Do you/kids like to fish? and lastly have you ever been before?

Those few answers will get you plenty of recommendations im sure.

We were just there in March and heading back in a couple weeks for another stint...
We are looking to stay at a first class resort, looks like Bluewater Key RV Resort is going to be the one!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
We are looking to stay at a first class resort, looks like Bluewater Key RV Resort is going to be the one!
You will REALLY like Bluewater. What site are you in? Very good location at MM14 in my opinion. Close to enough to KW, but close enough to go north to Islamorada or Marathon.

Best beach in the keys IMHO is just above you at Bahia Honda. Good day trip just just beach it, or a nice snorkel trip available from there as well.

Another option if you want to stay "in the thick of it" is Boyd's in KW. Its somewhere between NICE and OK. Both are pretty much the same money. At Boyd's your paying for location as you can ride your bike pretty much anywhere, if that's your thing.

I have been to both and we are arriving at Bluewater on the 30th, if that tells you anything. It just a cut above.....

Lots of good things to do for you and the teens. I travel with my three teen daughters who all like to fish and we have a great time. Definitely get out to do some snorkeling. If you pick the right charter, they will serve free drinks on the way back in..
Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hey Jack... i'll look for the Gator Country Tuscany to roll in and stop by to speak. We are starting our annual BWK trip on the 26th!

You mentioned the beach at Bahia Honda, both beaches there are fabulous. Sombrero Beach in Marathon is nice too, and free!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Chuck,

You are right, I forgot to mention Sombrero.. Its very nice as well, and free is always good. Sombrero Reef is one of my favorites, I hope to get out there this trip down.

Keep an eye out, you can't miss us... we will be towing a bright ORANGE jeep.. Counting down the days!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

Bluewater was just recommended to us as well. Keep us posted if /when you stay there.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostable View Post
You will REALLY like Bluewater. What site are you in? Very good location at MM14 in my opinion. Close to enough to KW, but close enough to go north to Islamorada or Marathon.

Best beach in the keys IMHO is just above you at Bahia Honda. Good day trip just just beach it, or a nice snorkel trip available from there as well.

Another option if you want to stay "in the thick of it" is Boyd's in KW. Its somewhere between NICE and OK. Both are pretty much the same money. At Boyd's your paying for location as you can ride your bike pretty much anywhere, if that's your thing.

I have been to both and we are arriving at Bluewater on the 30th, if that tells you anything. It just a cut above.....

Lots of good things to do for you and the teens. I travel with my three teen daughters who all like to fish and we have a great time. Definitely get out to do some snorkeling. If you pick the right charter, they will serve free drinks on the way back in..
We are looking at lot 54 on the bay, is there swimming and snorkeling off the dock on the lot also! I see where the pool will be closed for the month of August!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #11

Yes you can swim, fish and snorkel right off the dock. I didn't hear about the pool closing, seems like an odd time to do that.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #12

Stop at Robbies in the upper keys. Lay on the dock and hand feed the hundreds of large tarpon ........ lots of fun.

Feeding Tarpon at Robbie's - Robbie's of Islamorada
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I just ordered my Key West Vacation Pass, I think is a great deal for the money!

You can check it out at Key West Discount Coupon Book | 2015 Key West Vacation Pass.

We are excited that in less than 3 weeks I will be there for 8 days...

If anyone has any Ideas for things to do please let me know!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #14

Go to the Dry Tortugas