Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

Key West choices ?

Not sure if there is a better place to post this or not , but here is my plight.

I have been almost everywhere in North America a time or two, mostly 87-2006 . WE never let grass grow anywhere we went, even Alaska , a day or two in one spot was always enough, cause there is so much to see and do. I felt like I always was missing something, we hardly ever stayed in a campground , just too much time wasted.

I think I would like to Snowbird a bit now after my time out....say a month in Key West and 2 months someplace less expensive, anywhere its warm ...What would you do the second time around the big red ball ? Just looking for choices , ....on wheels in a now vintage Monaco Sig. thats up and ready to hit the asphalt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Monthly in Key West would be best. Figure around 2500 per month. If you google them it's easy to find them. For something less expensive you'll need to get into central Florida.
If you are the type that likes to Roam around, Florida is not the place. There is virtually no overnight parking in Florida. Southern Arizona or Texas may be a better choice for Snow birding.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue water key ........ Very very nice !
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi darstar,
Try Sunshine Key at mile marker 39 in the Keys. From there you can tour quite a bit of the southern and central Keys. From MM 39 you are 39 miles from downtown Key West. There are many things to do south and north of MM 39. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina | Encore RV Resort in Florida Keys and take a look.

For the rest of the time it all depends on your interests. There are literally thousands of CGs. Post your interests here and maybe we can narrow down the choices.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

The New Years party @ Key West is something to be seen !!Of course Key West is a great time anytime.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning83 View Post
Blue water key ........ Very very nice !
We are booked in there for two weeks Jan. first Took a guess on that one even before I bought the coach last year! We have been to Key West five times over the years, but always in a car. The only problem about KW is you have to drive thru Florida to get there! Lol.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmun View Post
The New Years party @ Key West is something to be seen !!Of course Key West is a great time anytime.
So I have heard ! Rented a house one year for Christmas, flew the Mothers down , but we left before NYs
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi darstar,
Try Sunshine Key at mile marker 39 in the Keys. From there you can tour quite a bit of the southern and central Keys. From MM 39 you are 39 miles from downtown Key West. There are many things to do south and north of MM 39. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina | Encore RV Resort in Florida Keys and take a look.

For the rest of the time it all depends on your interests. There are literally thousands of CGs. Post your interests here and maybe we can narrow down the choices.
This season is a test, lots to consider, including my wife's business and phone / computer connections. That will dictate how long we stay away from home.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We are booked in there for two weeks Jan. first Took a guess on that one even before I bought the coach last year! We have been to Key West five times over the years, but always in a car. The only problem about KW is you have to drive thru Florida to get there! Lol.
I think you will love it .... Great time of the year to be there also !
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My Bud from my working days bought a 5er after I bought my Class A after we retired. They have a place in the Keys somewhere @ $3500 a month for Jan, Feb, March. They guy has never camped once. WOW. He must of got a better retirement plan than I got...

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #11

Sugarloaf KOA at MM20 is nice. We spend every February there and have a great time. It's like another family as we see the same people every year.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Key West Campground, Key West Camping, Key West RV Park and Tent camping. Key West,FL camping, koa camping and Camping in Key West (Boyds CG) is the closest CG to Key West. $100+ per night or around $2K a month. You can get the bus into old town KW from there. A good bet since parking is tough and almost no free parking. A bicycle or scooter works too.

The choices after that get to be drive to KW or get the bus if you are near a bus stop. Everything in the Keys will be in the $2000 a month range for a decent site.

We spend half the year in the Keys so feel free to PM me with any questions.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Leo's Key West $1,550 month.

Boyd's 1 month $2,520

Bluewater Key $130-155 a day
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Leo's Key West $1,550 month.

Boyd's 1 month $2,520

Bluewater Key $130-155 a day
Forgot about Leo's. Have never been there. Boyd's was OK but that was about nine years ago and after hurricane Wilma (I think it was Wilma) it was redone I believe. Blue water is gorgeous but the prices match how nice it is. Hey you get what you pay for.

http://www.elmarrvresort.com/rates.html is right near Boyd's but we have never been there either. $2400 on the water a month. Some info though "SORRY--NO TENTS, NO POP-UPS, NO TRUCK CAMPERS"

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote