Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Key West FL

We leave in 3 weeks for bluewater rv resort. couple questions
1) with the weather in the keys at the moment, whats a good source for weather while traveling through florida, such as these tropical storms making land.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I like the Fox 13 Weather Watch app. I can add as many destinations as I want all over the country or just use My Location. The best part that I look at often is the Future Weather Radar Map plus it will give you severe weather warnings directly to your smart phone.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

weather app

Fox 13 app is that out of florida or your local station?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I installed it while at my Flagler Beach place this past winter. It is out of Orlando FL however it works all over the country. Just pick the location where you happen to be or choose My Location if you have your smart phone GPS active.

It is one of the best ones that I have found.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

I belong to Boot Key Harbor Cruisers on Facebook.

I read this morning that is been raining for 6 days.

We use the app, Weatherbug in our travels and just pick the area you want to investigate.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like the Myradar app. It gives a real time weather radar map. That in addition to NOAA app.
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Not an app, just a site i like to use to keep up to date on tropical systems.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/

Click on the storm you want to know about and all the information you need is there.

Bonus........noaa radar. just move it around to the location you want to see. Tallahassee, FL Radar Just because i am watching the storm make landfall..........NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Tallahassee, FL

25 or so years living in florida kinda hooked me on watching storms form and where they go, at first because i was worried about damage from them, now more than anythng just because i find them so interesting. Watchng this storm cause i happen to be in south ga, not powerful enough to run from but large enough to be interesting to watch.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think all these apps use the same data feed from NWS, and just apply a few different feature names. Each of the four suggested above could well have been describing The Weather Channel app, which is the one I happen to use. That's five. Take your pick.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I live on Big Pine Key about 15 miles from Bluewater RV Park.

The Key West NWS office is great and keeps their Facebook and websites current regarding local weather.
NWS

On my iphone, I use the Weather Underground app and their separate app called Storm. As rain in the Keys tends to be localized, the Storm app shows the predicted path of each storm cell so you can determine if the rain is going to hit you or pass you by.

As you're driving down, you should also use Google Maps which will show you live traffic. There's some construction near the end of the FL Turnpike that causes some backups. Also if the 18 mile stretch of the Overseas Highway between FL City and Largo backs up, it will route you around to Card Sound. Once you're past Largo, there's only one road so you just have to bear with any traffic. Fortunately, traffic tends to be light in September and October.

The weather has actually been pretty good the last few days. Some rain but definitely opportunities to go outside. It's been hot and humid though!

If you need any more local info, shoot me a PM.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote