Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Question Key West, FL advice

We are planning a trip to Key West, FL in September. There are a few campgrounds in Key West, and the rates are a little pricey. Has anyone stayed in any of the rv parks in Key West recently? Which one is the best?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any of them! Wish I could be more help but I've never stayed at a Key West CG. However, as long as they have good 50 amp, sewer, etc. what's it matter? It's Key West!!! Yes they will all be pricey unless you stay further north, say Marathon Key? Been going to the keys for over forty years, love them Keys!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Closest is Boyd's. Nice enough as the main attraction is Duval Street and not the campground. Good pool and not crowded at all this time of the year.

Ron & Kathy
2009 HR Endeavor PDQ - 2014 Ford Explorer Sport - Maine coon cat, 2 orange tabbys
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro2 View Post
We are planning a trip to Key West, FL in September. There are a few campgrounds in Key West, and the rates are a little pricey. Has anyone stayed in any of the rv parks in Key West recently? Which one is the best?
Stayed at Boyd's about a month ago. Don't let them put you in the tent loop. Very hard to exit with a tag axle. Location is 10 minutes from Duval St. Blue Water is better but about 20 miles North. Have fun.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Any of them! Wish I could be more help but I've never stayed at a Key West CG. However, as long as they have good 50 amp, sewer, etc. what's it matter? It's Key West!!! Yes they will all be pricey unless you stay further north, say Marathon Key? Been going to the keys for over forty years, love them Keys!
Agree if we are close to Key West we will spend most of our time in Key West.So for us the campground becomes a place to park the rig and crash at night. For other purposes you are better off staying further north. We are addicted to the Keys.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
BlueWater Key is probably the best RV resort I've ever been to. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400543195.827023.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	823.8 KB
ID:	63366
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, at BW you can get your very own Tiki Hut and be on the water.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Stayed at Bluewater in April - had a horrible expensive water front site - didn't have any furniture for the first 3 days we were there. It really depends on the site you are assigned. There are two booking sites for the resort - one of them allows you to see the site and what you can expect - it was very windy on the waterfront sites and we had to hold our light weight camping chairs if we got up. Children running all over and one group of kids had remote control cars that you had to be careful not to hit when moving around the resort. A nice resort if you get the right site! We liked Key Largo and the upper Keys better because Key West has turned into a cruise town with cheap T- shirt shops everywhere.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have stayed at Boyd's many times. It is great if you are going to be doing things on Key West a lot. I use scooters when at Boyd's. Blue Water is a great place. It is at the 14 mile marker so trips into Key West take 20 minuets. I recommend at some point you stay at both, but Boyd's first if you are focused on Key West and Blue Water next time if you want a little more seclusion.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Have a great time, but do be aware that Sept. is one of the busiest months for hurricanes in Florida.

I don't want to scare you, chances are that nothing will happen, but keep an eye on the weather.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm setting at Bluewater Key right now. Second time I have been here in the last 6 months. Very nice, quiet, choice of bay or canal lots. Contact Rita at Bluewaterkey.net for reservations. I drove thru Boyd's yesterday for my future reference, won't be going there. Pictures are lot #8 canal side, $70 per night. Bluewater is at the 14 mile marker US #1, 20 minutes to Duvall street.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	63418   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	63419  

Old 05-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We had planned on spending a few nights at Bluewater after spending a week at Bahia Honda. Both websites kept putting me off as to when I could reserve a spot. One website kept pushing only their most expensive site. I needed to make all of my reservations for the trip to KW and back so I gave up on them. At first it was March and then April before they could tell me what was available.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We had planned on spending a few nights at Bluewater after spending a week at Bahia Honda. Both websites kept putting me off as to when I could reserve a spot. One website kept pushing only their most expensive site. I needed to make all of my reservations for the trip to KW and back so I gave up on them. At first it was March and then April before they could tell me what was available.
Most of the owners are here Dec thru April. Place is half empty right now, don't know about Summer months, but fall is easy to get in also. There are two deals going on here Bluewater.com is the official POA site, Bluewater.net is representing maybe 20 sites and much better to work with.

I found Bahia Honda to be very noisy due to the proximity of the bridge, did you feel the same?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We are at Pennekamp now and will get to Bahia Honda on May 22nd. I want have an issue with the noise, but if I do I will just take out my hearing aids. The DW will not like that idea nor the noise from the bridge.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice