Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
You can't beat Ft Wilderness...... Tropical Palms is a very nice place to stay also. It depends what you are looking for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fort Wilderness is a big place, but there is so much to do, so many places to go or be, it absorbs the "crowds" so you'll rarely be bothered by them. On the other hand, we've never been there when schools were out of session.

Ask for the 600 loop. You'll be able to walk to the Meadows trading post, bike rentals, pool, canoe rentals, the evening campfire with Chip 'N' Dale followed by an outdoor movie, or even to the lake front where you'll find the Whoop Die Do playhouse, Crocket's tavern, the beach and boats. You don't have to be going to one of the theme parks to ride the boats to the other lake front resorts (Wilderness Lodge, the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian) or just to ride around. You might even get lucky enough to get a water front site.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #17

Maybe the kids have RV parking at their places?
No really, there's the Fort Summet KOA right on I-4. They have a free shuttle to the parks!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #18

Weikeva Falls has large sites and a real campground feel. KOA is small and next to 192 a very busy highway. I never feel safe staying close to highways and commercial areas. The KOA Fort Summit is very expensive for where it is and what they offer. Also close to I4 and 27 intersection. Tropical Palms is the closest to Disney. Hope this helps with the areas around these campgrounds.
Enjoy being with family that is what matters.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWW View Post
Weikeva Falls has large sites and a real campground feel. KOA is small and next to 192 a very busy highway. I never feel safe staying close to highways and commercial areas.
That's why we like Wekiva. It's in the middle of nowhere, super quiet, huge treed lots, all the amenities yet only 5 miles from anything you could possibly need/want. Our monthly rate is $549 in peak season.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #20

We stayed at Lake Whippoorwill KOA Christmas of 2011. Had a great time.
We had site B18 that backs up to the lake.
Convenient to shopping, interstate, and on the far East side of Orlando so a day trip to the beach is an easy half hour trip with little traffic.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #21

Hi Bruce. Once you have stayed at the Fort, Everyplace else will be not compare. The 1700 loop will cost a little less and if you have AAA you can save a lot more. It is a very big and well laid out place so you will never see how crowded it is until you go to the pool. That is another story.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Geez, I have zero desire to go to Disney, but you guys have me convinced to go there just for the camping However, I have no desire to be surounded by 1000 other campers. No offence of course and I have heard nothing but positive about FW. Perhaps I will see what all the hoopala is about next winter. I guess it's a must do.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
Have stayed at Ft Wilderness, is convient and yes, is costly, but the spaces are fairly tight space wise, not good for a small group as I remember. Was not towing, but do not recall much space for a toad. Yes it is a great experience.
Agree on the KOA as a better place as described, good luck.
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
... the spaces are fairly tight space wise, not good for a small group as I remember. Was not towing, but do not recall much space for a toad. Yes it is a great experience...
The size of the site depends on where you are in the park. Let them know your total length and they should be assigning you a big enough site. Many of the sites in loops closer to the settlement outpost (down by the water) have been upgraded in recent years and are much wider and longer than they used to be.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote