Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have used KOA for years now and, when going down the road looking for an overniter, it is the campground of choice for us. I don't understand allot of the negative comments but it doesn't mean they're not valid. However, last time we were in San Diego we stayed at this place, based on several years' experience at their location in Hemet, CA. We loved it here, and, there is a rail transit station virtually on site so you can be "downtown", at the water, in minutes. Check it out.

San Diego RV Resort & RV Park | RV Park Resort in La Mesa, California - San Diego Area

Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are just starting to camp, or just feel more comfortable with KOA, they are not terrible. Yes they are priced higher, but that's because of the franchise fee. They are usually prime locations, near attractions also. There are a lot better and cheaper choices out there, you just have to do the homework. Recently, I had a lousy experience in Nashville KOA. Paid 60 dollars ahead of time because of late arrival, when I got there someone had taken my space. I squeezed into a tight spot, cable tv not working, The next morning tried to dump, sewer was backed up, and I was asked why I took the spot, and why didn't I call when I got in.

Well folks, I did call, no answer just a machine. They said that was impossible, they don't have a machine, argued with me. What a ripoff, $60 in October.

That is my last KOA

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
There seem to be a lot of negative KOA comments.
Do you suppose there's a reason for that? Like charging too much for services?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffeetee View Post
Hi, I'm new at this. Im looking for a nice campsite for thanksgiving weekend in San Diego area. Found out KOA sites are way more expensive than others. Are they so much better? Thanks!!
My vote is for Sweetwater Summit Park.

Nice campground less expensive.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Correcto-mundo.....KOA's are generally nice parks, & sometimes cost a bit more than one down the road. But you can pretty much rely on a SAFE park, with all the amenities.

BUT.....rug-rats are everywhere. KOA is a FAMILY oriented park. They reach out to families.

I am NOT a family....so I don't enjoy all the movement & noise that comes with children.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
+1 on the Chula Vista Marina
Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
KOA San Diego is a lovely park. KOA's do charge more than many parks, but less than other "resort parks." I find KOA's to be at very least consistant. It is a franchise, so there are differences between parks. But all that I have visited are clean, maintain clean restrooms and offices, have working hookups, are secure, tend not to maintain "perminant residence campers" , and are friendly. Many if not most are gravel. Being a franchise, if you have a complaint you can direct it to both the facility and to the main company.
Many KOAs have family activities, such as pancake breakfasts, movie evening, playground, bike rentals, and even supervised activities for kids.
Is it worth the extra cost...that is truly an individuals evaluation.
KOA is a family destiniation as is KOA Petaluma, KOA Circle of Pines Williams, and KOA Santa Cruz.
JMHO
Happy Trails.

I will say the San Diego Metro KOA is nice Chula Vista marina RV park a close second.

A couple of years ago my wife and I stayed at the KOA So. of Santa Cruz, Ca. Located on San Andreas Rd. $77.00 a night in space 221, there was a family that was across the roadway from us that had a herd of rugrats, curtain climbers. And several teenagers. One of the kids and two other kids rode their bicycles thru our camp site, over our sewer hose destroyed it. when we went in and filed a complaint I guess the people worked in the KOA, the owner said "Oh that never happened, their children wouldn't do anything like that!" I haven't been back there since. That was in 2008.
We were in Santa Cruz on a business trip and that was the only place we could find. I will never go back there. I am not saying all KOA's are bad but I would stay away from that one. It's listed as Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay KOA in the current Directory 2011-2012 edition.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
One man's passion is another man's poison? We've had our share of disappointments with KOA (the one in Niagara Falls, Ontario is the biggest ripoff we've ever experienced) but, in Gettysburg the KOA is hands down the best, and I've stayed in all the parks there. We go out of our way to hit the one in Corbin, Kentucky and the new Owner is making it even better. Like most things, the Owners or whomever is representing the Park, at the Park, makes the biggest differerence, KOA or not? Nasville? fogedaboudid .... never heard a good thing about them but the other two "next door" aren't that great either; something about a captive audience perhaps?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #23

Mt. Rushmore is the nicest KOA that we have stayed at. Their quality seems to vary a lot.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #24

Official iRV2 Sponsor

KOA's are franchised but locally owned. They try to have certain standards, but, like hotel chains, some are better than others. As for all the negative comments about high prices, we stay at KOA's when they represent the best value for what we want to do in an area. As some folks have noted, they are often in or near big cities and major tourist attractions. For example, when we were in Salt Lake City recently we stayed at a very nice KOA that was literally in the city and very close to Temple Square and other major attractions. I didn't think that $42 per night was at all high for the convenience and amenities at the CG.

Some people may feel that $42 is too much under any circumstance; that's fine, it's a free market and you can stay elsewhere. In some recent threads on this and other forums people have accused KOA's of price gouging. In a capitalist system, like ours, it is not price gouging to set a price that represents the value in the marketplace of the commodity being sold. If the price is too high, people won't buy the commodity. I have to assume that enough people are renting sites at these CGs to demonstrate that the prices are good representation of the value. Anyone who disagrees is free not to stay there.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #25

It's been many years since we have camped and used KOAs. We just bought our new travel trailer and immediately joined the KOA Value Kard club. As a member I get a 10% discount off of the advertised rate. Also, if you go into the location specific web site you will see a tab for "Hot Deals" and offer even better deals. For me, I'm retired military and in many of the "Hot Deals" sections, I get 15% off.

My wife always researches locations for weeks ahead of time. She does a good job of it. I always ask her if the site that she has found the best price at is as good as KOA has always proved to be for us. If anything, I would book* our first night at a KOA and maybe go to some of the other campgrounds in the area and see what hey have to offer and talk to some guests, if I could. If an other place is cheaper and just as nice or better, we may move, we may not.

I haven't had a problem with KOA. But, like I said, it's been many years.

* I would only book a KOA for one night if it isn't a busy season or holiday and extending our stay, if we choose, isn't a problem.
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally, I like KOA's and stay at them frequently. But, since most are franchised, always look at the website and RVparkreviews.com...... There are still some undesirable and unkept locations. But, for the most part, I do like the consistency, have never paid more than what is quoted, and don't mind the extra cost.