Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #15

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Tony,

We stay at KOA's from time to time. They are just like any other campground...some good, some not so good. I usually call and book because I like to ask questions about size of sites, etc. Many of the KOA's we have been to in the last year assign us a site at time of reservation, which I always like. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #16

KOA bashing is a way of life but sometimes it is all truth. PERIOD. This summer we made a point of visiting the very first KOA in Billings, Montana. For those who don't know the owner of this place started a real stir when she went to the Billings town council and demanded that it be against the law to park at Walmart overnight. OK long story short. They made it the law then after a firestorm from travelers changed it.

SO we wanted to visit this KOA and judge for ourselves. 30 amp, water, no cable, no sewer and a tight fit for a 40 footer with slides. Our neighbor on one side was 45 ft no slides and we were about 8-10 feet apart. On the other side was a fiver with slides and slide to slide we were maybe 7 feet apart. That's kinda close don't ya think? Site was dirt as were the roads. For DH and I it was $44.

Now in all fairness there is a newer side with nice full hook ups including cable and paved sites and roads and grass yards. Didn't ask the cost but we felt that $44 for what we got was a rip off.

In the Columbia Gorge area we stayed in another KOA for $32. Full hook ups, paved site and roads. Plenty of space between us and our neighbor. So you can see they are all gonna be different and costs will vary greatly. Oh at this KOA hubby picked about a quart of fresh huckleberries. YUM!

So Tony when you call for reservations ask lots of specfic questions. Pin them down on what ever is really important to you. I always say numerous times 40 ft, three slides, pulling a toad, satellite friendly (even if they have cable. 50 amp if it's really hot. When I do that I always am pleased with what we get. Sometimes we pull in cold turkey and take our chances. Keeps life exciting.

Happy Traveling

Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #17

We are planning to take Rt. 81 in Pennsylvania to Rt. 77 to Rt. 26 to 95 then to Rt 4. to Disney. First night we will stay at Creekside in Edinburg, Va. From there not sure. Due to back problems usually can't drive much more than 6 hours. Fortunately we have the time to take 4 days to get to WDW.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Even though there is a KOA in the Kingsport area, you might be interested in stopping at Warrior's Path State Park for an overnight stop after your stay at Creekside. Kingsport is a little under 300 miles and the State Park is only about 2.5 miles off of I-81 near Kingsport, TN at exit 59.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #19

You cannot judge all KOA's as one just like not all Good Sam parks are the same. Pretty much EVERY campground is different...................

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We will on occasion stay at a KOA...usually when that is the only choice. Some are fine, but there a lot that are not. Usually not the least expensive place around.

Ken
Old 06-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As with others, we have stayed at KOA's occasionally. Some good, some not so good. They aren't my first choice, though.

KOA's seem to be popular, despite their pricing. I know of 3 private CG's that became KOA's in the past year (Bayshore Estates in OH; Flatwoods RV Park & FoxFire RV Resort both in WV). So someone must be freqenting them.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NLOVNIT:
As with others, we have stayed at KOA's occasionally. Some good, some not so good. They aren't my first choice, though.

KOA's seem to be popular, despite their pricing. I know of 3 private CG's that became KOA's in the past year (Bayshore Estates in OH; Flatwoods RV Park & FoxFire RV Resort both in WV). So someone must be freqenting them.

L- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We just got back from a trip to Flatwoods, The park was nice, they were just putting in the pool table and games in the game room. Clean restroons, clean park, nice indoor pool at the days inn, which you are allowed to use all the services at the in. Free breakfast, resturants, bar, news paper, etc. There just isn't much to do in that neck of the woods. /the hills were to steep to ride the bike. We did see some wild life. Nice scenery also. And all the free ice that you need!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We were at Flatwoods last fall, before they became a KOA. We were on the top tier (what the KOA calls the "Ball Field" sites - not sure why as they just overlook the neighboring school's practice field - ya can't use the field, that I know of). Anyway, we paid $33 per night for our 50a fhu pull-thru for a family of 4. Now those sites go for $42 per night for just 2 people. That's a 27% price increase for nothing new. And ya can't get Wi-Fi up on that top tier (even though the site touts free wi-fi)...too far from the transmission spot at the hotel.

L-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote