Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I generally like KOA's and all things being equal I would take a KOA over a no brand name so that I have an idea what I am going to get. Some are company owned and some are independent but they all have min. standards they have to meet. If there truly was no information about the special events policy then I would contact the corporate office and see what they say.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Our KOA confirmation email always states:
"Need to Cancel?
Please call 800-562-8741 before the deadlines listed below to receive your deposit refund, minus a $10 cancellation fee. Text and email notifications of cancellations are not acceptable.

RV & Tent Sites: 48 hours cancellation notice is required. Notify your KOA by 4 p.m. two days before your scheduled arrival.
Camping Cabins: 7 days cancellation notice required. Please notify your KOA one week before your scheduled arrival.
Deluxe Cabins & Unique Accommodations: These units may have special deposit and cancellation requirements. Please check with your selected KOA campground location when making your reservations.
Holidays and special events may have special deposit and/or cancellation requirements. Special conditions may apply during high-demand periods and special events. Please check with your selected KOA for details.
Reservations made after these deadlines require nonrefundable deposits. Cancellations made after deadlines will result in forfeiture of all deposits.

Campground Cancellation Policy: Cancellation Charges

A $10 cancellation fee is charged whenever a reservation is cancelled.

RV sites: If you cancel no later than two days prior to your arrival date,
you will receive a refund of your deposit less the $10 cancellation fee.

Lodges & Cabins: If you cancel no later than seven days prior to your arrivl date, you will receive a refund of your deposit less the $10 cancellation fee.

If you are unable to honor your reservation, call and cancel prior to the
above deadlines.

There will be no refund for a cancellation after the above deadlines."

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Wow!... that's a lot of words just to park my bus somewhere for the night!

Funny... I don't get an email like that when I book a reservation at the Marriott. Wonder why!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #17

Thanks for all the additional replies folks, at least some more ppl came along who can relate to what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
If there truly was no information about the special events policy then I would contact the corporate office and see what they say.
Let me be clear, at the bottom of their Terms & Conditions it DID state the additional no refund cancellation policy.

HOWEVER, unless someone is experienced enough to know this sorta trickery still exists in today's day and age, most folks won't bother to read beyond their primary Cancellation Policy which is '48hr notice' prior to the booking dates.

In my humble opinion, a very simple (SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFO) beside their PRIMARY Cancellation Policy would have avoided this mess altogether OR even an asterisk. BUT then, they wouldn't be able to DOUBLE book and collect twice their rate for a site so, we get these kinda shenanigans instead .... and some people are perfectly ok with it too.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #18

KOA [or any big name c/g] Cancellation Policies???

There are a lot of us that were early on humbled by the "fine print", such as loan contracts, extended warranties, road side assistance, and so on.
We became experienced readers of such things in fairly short order. I quickly became one to not judge the standard business models that the service vendor is mandated to follow via corporate contract.
Best wishes and Happy Trails!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #19

FWIW I cannot think of anybody who does not have a similar policy for reservations over holidays and special events. At least part of the reason is to discourage folks from shopping for sites the way you did. I have seen the same with other types of lodgings as well as camp grounds.

As far as KOA goes they evidently use a corporate site with a local page so each location would need to both understand and supply the information to corporate IT to add the flag. From what I have seen that is outside their area of understanding.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I can empathize with the predicament encountered. It does seem unfair and certainly punitive. And as stated how difficult would it be to program in a flag that popped up warning you that the paid in full deposit was non refundable? Piece of cake. What criteria? Should there be a check box where the person has to accept the conditions? Probably pretty easy.

Now how many of us would become annoyed that we had to clear a flag each time we made a reservation for a special long weekend? The complaints would be fast and furious as most folks are likely aware of the constraint.

Kind of got lost in the thread. It appears there was a concession and only one day was charged but over 200???

Interesting.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I think cancellation fees are bunk. I sorta understand the special event thing since odds are the place is fully booked. But on an ordinary day to charge even $10 is crazy. It's not as if they have tons of paperwork! I guess the penalty is reasonable if you're cancelling the day of but a week or several days ahead... garbage!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
Thanks for all the additional replies folks, at least some more ppl came along who can relate to what I was thinking.

Let me be clear, at the bottom of their Terms & Conditions it DID state the additional no refund cancellation policy.

HOWEVER, unless someone is experienced enough to know this sorta trickery still exists in today's day and age, most folks won't bother to read beyond their primary Cancellation Policy which is '48hr notice' prior to the booking dates.

In my humble opinion, a very simple (SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFO) beside their PRIMARY Cancellation Policy would have avoided this mess altogether OR even an asterisk. BUT then, they wouldn't be able to DOUBLE book and collect twice their rate for a site so, we get these kinda shenanigans instead .... and some people are perfectly ok with it too.
It's NOT "trickery" if it's stated on their website or other info whether you read them or not. And it really doesn't matter if they can resell the site. You made a reservation, the site showed the terms for cancelling, you agreed to them when you booked the site.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Kinda go with Mr D on this one.

A fee tends to make people commit. Our Activity Committee throws several "Free" food events during the winter. Seating is limited by the size of the clubhouse and the need to order food. When the event was free there was a line up when the tickets were available for distribution. Come to the event and 10 - 15% of the seats were empty.

Most frustrating for the planners and the cook because now there was left over food to dispose of. Folks who were not quick enough to get tickets were angry when they learned of the empty places. Not a good feeling all round.

So the committee decided to charge. It was $1.00. Yup it was one dollar! Surprising a number of folks who now lined up were different. The event still 'sold out' but the folks by in large showed up if they had a ticket. There were a few who missed because of an emergency or something else but gone was the mass ticket grab just in case they wanted to show up.

I have heard the same thing about camping when it was free reservations. Some would reserve a bunch of spots just in case Cousin Eddie was able to make it. When he didn't show up it was no big deal. Just an empty spot. Or 2 Or 3.

Campgrounds are businesses. They have to make money to stay in business. I have seen a couple threads on this forum where someone states they would like to build their own campground and offer an ala-carte for all of the campers. Immediately there is a resounding cry of "Are you Stupid?" from responders. It appears that as a business everything is not as golden as many of us think it is.

Bottom line is read all of the fine print, even at the bottom, before you push the pay button. If it happens once learn from the experience and act accordingly in the future. Saying you will never darken their door again may not be in your best overall interest. Never is a long time and some of the locations you will not consider are quite lovely.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It's NOT "trickery" if it's stated on their website or other info whether you read them or not. And it really doesn't matter if they can resell the site. You made a reservation, the site showed the terms for cancelling, you agreed to them when you booked the site.

I'm still trying to understand the OPs complaint. The T&C stated the terms of the reservation. Obviously didn't read the small print, and then accuses them of shady practices and shenanigans? I'm sorry I don't see that. I been using KOA for years and have never had a problem with any of their CGs.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #25

I think his complaint was that he wanted to lock down a site unless he got a better deal then objected when they called foul. In short the exact type of practice such fees are designed to punish.

FWIW I agree with the practice. Gordon Dewald pretty much spelled it out when he talked about who gets upset and why.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm still trying to understand the OPs complaint. The T&C stated the terms of the reservation. Obviously didn't read the small print, and then accuses them of shady practices and shenanigans? I'm sorry I don't see that. I been using KOA for years and have never had a problem with any of their CGs.
Really?
Is it that hard for you to understand that I simply stopped reading the T&C after reading the '48 hr cancellation notice'????

If this was Memorial Day weekend, I wouldn't even be here asking this question because I'd agree with it. But this location took advantage of a special event that was taking place almost an hour away, when a KOA merely 20 minutes away from the actual event didn't....but I'm the problem? LOL!

Like I stated earlier, what makes them shady, IMO, is not adding a simple warning beside their primary cancellation notice to look further down for more information. Believe it or not, not ALL people are well traveled enough to know businesses up to an hour away from an event can legally take advantage of no refund policies.

It's funny, really, seeing some people defend this behavior.....
Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I think his complaint was that he wanted to lock down a site unless he got a better deal then objected when they called foul. In short the exact type of practice such fees are designed to punish.
Riiight, that's it.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
Really?
Is it that hard for you to understand that I simply stopped reading the T&C after reading the '48 hr cancellation notice'????

If this was Memorial Day weekend, I wouldn't even be here asking this question because I'd agree with it. But this location took advantage of a special event that was taking place almost an hour away, when a KOA merely 20 minutes away from the actual event didn't....but I'm the problem? LOL!

Like I stated earlier, what makes them shady, IMO, is not adding a simple warning beside their primary cancellation notice to look further down for more information. Believe it or not, not ALL people are well traveled enough to know businesses up to an hour away from an event can legally take advantage of no refund policies.

It's funny, really, seeing some people defend this behavior.....
You make a good point. Too many lawyers and too much fine print. As I suggested earlier it would/could be entirely possible for the programmers to insert a few lines of code that made you sign off there was a no cancellation policy for the time period you were trying to book.

Easy Peasy IMO.

Thanks for the warning to the rest of us. I will make the time to check all of the fine print when I book in the future.