Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you avoid campgrounds because of the KOA designation.
Yes. KOA have bad reputation and would not stay 30 37.97%
Sometimes. Will usually give them a chance 22 27.85%
No. The KOA designation signifies a good place to stay 27 34.18%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hmm, you need an option for "I will if its the only option, but I will expect small, tight sites and an above-average price".

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #16

Your opinions were appreciated

I was staying at a nice little campground with a new owner. He was thinking of joining the KOA franchise but was concerned it would lose him customers. I have met some KOA haters in my time and they are dead set against staying at KOAs. I told him I would ask around and try and get a consensus from other RVers. Was just trying to see if the KOA logo would stop people from checking him out. From what I'm seeing here most of us don't prejudge based on the KOA logo. Thanks for all the input, I'll pass this on to him. A quick review of the poll does show that about 1/3 would not stay because of the KOA logo. I admit this is not a truely scientific survey but it does give us a feel for whats out there.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #17

Generally, I will look for other options prior to staying at a KOA. This is based on prior experience with them. Mostly, they are dirt or barely graveled sites and may or may not have paved interior roads. It seems that many KOA's are trying for that rustic camping experience. I am looking for a little more than dirt camping. In addition to this, they charge more than they are worth, I believe basing this on the KOA name.

In their defense, there are very nice KOA's. For example I just stayed at one in Petoskey, MI. It was very nice with paved interior roads, concrete pads, beautiful landscaping in a nice wooded setting. However I paid $58 a night.

As others have said, read your reviews. Their are nice KOA's but you will pay for them.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #18

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There are a few nice KOA's in my area that I use for weekend trips. My experiences have generally been good. Nice friendly people working and camping there. No matter what the campground affiliation I always read peoples reviews and experiences before committing to a destination.

I agree that the poll does not allow me to vote my feelings towards KOA.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I remember one KOA I stayed at that was very nice except that they did not keep the camping areas clean. Old pet droppings were scattered throughout with at least one pile every 12 inches. It was the worst kept site I had ever seen. Just about every site was the same. My dog was very uncofortable around it. The campground had level sites, good scenery and acceptable facilities. I cleaned my area for them but it was the worst camggound for pet droppings that I had ever seen. I failed to log it for reference so I am doomed to stay there again. Expensive campground so money does not always get you the best.

But I still stay at KOAs when nothing else is available. They seem to be improving.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I voted "No," but as stated there is not enough options. I am a member of many types of "Camping Clubs," and they all have their good and bad places, KOA is no different. I have stayed in many KOA's that were fine, and then I have also stayed in some that I would not care to go back to, but that is also true for Good Sam Parks, Passport America, TACO (If you know what it is) Escapee's, etc. I will check on RV Park Reviews to see what others may think but I read that with a grain of salt. I think sometimes the reviews are peppered with competitor thoughts.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
I am surprised by the 'too expensive' comments for KOAs. Admittedly, we don't have the mileage accumulated many of you do, but with the exception of the startling $54 a night at the KOA in Astoria OR (we did not stay there) the KOAs typically cost $30 or less per night (sometimes there are 3 of us, when grandson is along, and 2 dogs.) We are members, but really, the discount is not THAT much.

Many times KOA is just an overnight stay for us. Clean, safe, handy to the route we've chosen. So far staff has been great helping us get settled in and very accommodating.

JoAnn
Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I think if one analyzed things thoroughly you would find that with the KOA discount card most KOA's are in the ~$35-40 range (pre-tax) which is only slightly higher than what full-hookup, 50A sites cost in most of the US for nightly stays.

I think a lot of what gives KOA's a high-price reputation are the 20-25% of them which charge way out of line prices like the one in Astoria mentioned in the previous post. We were just in Astoria ourselves and found a nicer CG for $32/night; there was nothing special about that KOA and the price being charged was way beyond the going market rate. When you add to that extra fees for more than 2 people in an RV, for holiday weekends, and other special event days, places like this one give the entire chain a bad reputation. Sometimes high prices can be "justified" because the market will bear them; sometimes they just seem out of line. This was one of those cases.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I think if one analyzed things thoroughly you would find that with the KOA discount card most KOA's are in the ~$35-40 range (pre-tax) which is only slightly higher than what full-hookup, 50A sites cost in most of the US for nightly stays.

I think a lot of what gives KOA's a high-price reputation are the 20-25% of them which charge way out of line prices like the one in Astoria mentioned in the previous post. We were just in Astoria ourselves and found a nicer CG for $32/night; there was nothing special about that KOA and the price being charged was way beyond the going market rate. When you add to that extra fees for more than 2 people in an RV, for holiday weekends, and other special event days, places like this one give the entire chain a bad reputation. Sometimes high prices can be "justified" because the market will bear them; sometimes they just seem out of line. This was one of those cases.
Agreed! If the KOA chain was worried about being considered the high priced campground in the marketplace they would include this in their annual reviews a part of their certification/approval process. I would suggest that this is the information that should be sent to KOA corporate if you find a KOA way over priced for the local market in turn giving the entire KOA chain a black eye.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have stayed at the Halifax West KOA serveral times this year. I find the price to be average with the region. Our biggest reason to stay there is for the grandson, this park has a very nice play area and pool. The CG it's self is quite wooded with reasonablely sized lots.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #25

I always plan my major trips around KOA. They are easy to find and easy to use. I have found their prices competitive. After spending $200 to fill up my gas tank a few extra bucks for a clean campground is just not important. The survey, like most surveys, does not ask the questions that are important to the people who use the product.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #26

I responded 'Sometimes" but in general, we prefer KOA because we have a pretty good idea what we'll be getting. Too often we've found ourselves in a no-name CG that is less than satisfactory with too many permanent and neglected RVs. For the $10.00 per night difference, we'll stay with a recognized name.
The only problem I have with KOA is that they are mostly very near interstates (we prefer to travel the secondary roads).
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
As a matter of convenience I go to KOA's and only as last alternative. I know I can depend on these features at KOA's in the east.
1. Usually near the exits, easy access, always open no matter what season
2. Full hookups
3. Tight narrow spaces
4. Sloppy dirt sights for overnighters
5. Extremely overpriced
6. Upon writing letters of displeasure to the corporation receiving we don't give a crap responses back.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I usually stay at KOA on an only place left to stay basis, most times you get a standard site for a higher price, I do not recall staying in a KOA that was worth the higher price, if there was some big difference I could understand the higher prices. I have found the key is RV Reviews, they usually give a good review, thrown out the good and the bad and read the average