Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you avoid campgrounds because of the KOA designation.
Yes. KOA have bad reputation and would not stay 30 37.97%
Sometimes. Will usually give them a chance 22 27.85%
No. The KOA designation signifies a good place to stay 27 34.18%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #1

KOA part II

The poll never went in place. Probably my fault. But just trying to help the new owner decide whether joining the KOA would hurt him or not. He says there are some that hate KOA and will avoid them at all cost and he doesn't want to lose business because of a name affiliation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I don't think the poll is fair to KOA. I never find them the best and never find them the worst. Usually we'll use a KOA if we want just a safe clean place to stay.

Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I don't think the poll is fair to KOA. I never find them the best and never find them the worst. Usually we'll use a KOA if we want just a safe clean place to stay.

I agree with Cousin Ed! This poll is too "black" and "white" I have several reasons to stay or not to stay at KOA's (currently staying at Mackinaw City, MI KOA).
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Add a "NO if other cheaper price campgrounds are in the same area"
Most if not all, are to high $$ priced for just a over night stop.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

We just finished a long trip and we stayed in KOA's all but 2 times. Think of KOA like McDonalds. They are where you need them, quality and price are ok, typically clean restrooms. If you join the rewards club you can earn decent discounts. They had pools, friendly hosts and I could plan my route by looking at their online web site and reserve my spot. Typically kid friendly with rental trikes and game rooms.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I checked "yes", but it's not because of a "bad reputation". It's more a matter of who they target. See my response in the other thread.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If there was an option on the poll to select:

In my opinion KOA's are to expensive for the quality and amenities they provide, I would participate. The current options really don't hit on my opinions.

I would also say that I would stay at a KOA if it was the most convenient location for an over night stop. I wouldn't stay in one as my destination campground.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #8

In my experience, most of them are better than the "typical" RV park. At least they have some standards. Some we've stayed in are among the best. Of course, there are exceptions. I still check out outside reviews before staying in any park.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
In my experience, most of them are better than the "typical" RV park. At least they have some standards. Some we've stayed in are among the best. Of course, there are exceptions. I still check out outside reviews before staying in any park.
I generally use them enough to justify the cost of the membership dues, just like GS. The key is check the reviews.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Having just completed a workkamp job at a campground that was transitioning into a KOA campground, I can tell you the KOA name does make a difference. Even tho they are not yet in the directory, the sign out front and the KOA website has made a difference for these folks. People started coming off the road to stay and they had a lot of inquiries and reservations from the website. The help they recieved from KOA was great as well.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I use KOA almost exclusively while traveling to a destination as an overnight stop. Yes their prices are usually higher than other RV Parks, but you know what to expect when you get there. I do however look for reviews online before making a choice, too many negative comments and I look elsewhere.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
KOA doesn't automatically mean good or bad. I've seen some that are a parking lot in a field, others that offer tree shaded, level spots. Recently spent a few nights in KOA in Port Angeles, WA. Not a bad place to stay as we explored Olympic NP. I've also stayed at a number of former KOA parks. (identified by the A frame office) that were nice.

The very negative survey question shows a prejudice right from the start. Then the three statements you ask for vote will not yield results that mean anything. People that choose the first choice, "Yes. KOA have bad reputation and would not stay" reinforces your prejudiced question. Also, while you might not like KOA, it seems to me the amenities offered are usually aimed at families and kids. If you're an old retired fart, you probably would avoid KOA. By the way, I am an old retired fart with grown kids, but if a KOA is near where I want to stop or stay, I check them out. The designation 'KOA' usually means that it probably meets some standards.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had a KOA card for years but have not used it very much. The customer service has changed for the better and they really try to help you if there is a problem. I stayed at one a week or so ago and the staff was not trained on their software and could not honor my points. Customer service took care of it and credited my card immediately. The manager emailed me the next day and apologized for the problem and offered me a free night the next time through. So they are trying to improve.

Although the customer service is improving they require long waits on the phone for service. No callback options.

But they are expensive.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree not enough options.. Generally it is "No due to price". which was not an option.

They are generally very nice places to stay.. But expensive.

That said, There are a few that are on my "Return to this park" list.