Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on a cross country trip now and have stayed in one KOA in Indiana that was OK for what we needed. As many have mentioned, with RV Park Reviews and apps like RVParky, there are ways to discover in advance what you can generally expect. We've been in some really nice KOA's, like Lazy Days in Tucson. So far, however, the best places we've stayed have not been KOA.

We also don't rely on any RV park WiFi. We use a Verizon mifi device and never have an issue. Some parks, however, have satisfactory WiFi service like the one we're in now....CampAWay in Lincoln, NE. However, they do warn that their WiFi is designed to handle email and web browsing and not high demand applications like Skype and Netflix.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The KOA in Richfield UT is one that comes to mind. Pretty nicely maintained, a great staff and very helpfull. That KOA is located in town and, is also located to about a zillion miles of trails for quads, Razors, motorcycles and more. They do their best to put all the "Toy" campers in one area and, the normal travelers in another area so the two don't bother each other. A good plan.
x2 on the Richfield, Utah KOA. We stayed there one night last summer. It was a nice place and enjoyed the shower's water pressure.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #31

KOA Rant

My wife and I have stayed in several KOAs and so far all of them have been at least okay and none of them has been bad. In fact, this Summer we finally purchased their value card. We like their new classification system. We even pulled into one out in Colorado this summer just to dump our tanks after a week of boondocking and the staff was totally friendly and helpful. I agree that for the most part you have a pretty good idea of what to expect at most KOAs and sometimes are even pleasantly surprised. For example: earlier this year we stayed at the Carlsbad KOA in NM and after a long day of driving upon check in we learned they serve a BBQ dinner each evening (not free). After setting up we called and ordered dinner and they delivered it right to our trailer! Nice! And it was very good, too. We also use the Allstays and other apps to read reviews and use Google maps to zoom in and check places out before stopping. Yep, most campground wi-fi sucks, but we either hotspot with our iPhones or use our Verizon Mi-Fi Jet Pack to get online if the wi-fi is bad at a park.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #32

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We are on a cross country trip now and have stayed in one KOA in Indiana that was OK for what we needed. As many have mentioned, with RV Park Reviews and apps like RVParky, there are ways to discover in advance what you can generally expect. We've been in some really nice KOA's, like Lazy Days in Tucson. So far, however, the best places we've stayed have not been KOA.
Staying at a KOA has a lot in common with eating at a chain restaurant. The food probably won't be the best you've ever had but it will probably never be all that bad. For those old enough to remember stopping at a Howard Johnson's while traveling with family as a child, the food was uniformly "average" but at least you could count on a level of cleanliness and courtesy.

That's what staying at most KOA's provides for us. Sure, some aren't all that good, but that's why we read reviews so we can avoid those. The rest provide a predictable environment for a stay of a day or two.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
We are currently at the KOA in Durango, Colorado and it is very nice. I would rank it way up there in the places we have stayed. The owners are really great.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #34

I'm not a KOA basher, and or a raving fan. We do what many of you say you do. Look at the area we're going to, look at reviews. If we have time, and it's early in the day, we go do some first hand looking on actual park current condition.

That being said, we've had some great stays at KOA's over the years (Yep, Richfield, UT (The now probably 4-5 years new owners, are working very hard to upgrade and polish this park. Like the locations, and yes the staff were great.), Chula Vista, CA has a nice older, but well cared for park, and we did spend a very spendie few nights at the KOA of West Yellowstone. We just stopped on our way into Apgar, NP. Got caught up on our wash, drained the tanks, filled the water. And I was up an into Apgar by 7:00AM to snag a spot for our 40' coach. We stayed in the normal pull thru's, in the newer part of the park. They had some very nice patio sites with upgraded patios, space, BBQ's, etc., and of course, change more for these too. Very well run park, and the park shuttle does come to the park which is a real plus.).

I do wish them luck, and renew our membership, if expired, only when we're going to stay in a park. Sometimes that could be 18+ months from the last time!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
We just stopped on our way into Apgar, NP. Got caught up on our wash, drained the tanks, filled the water. And I was up an into Apgar by 7:00AM to snag a spot for our 40' coach. We stayed in the normal pull thru's, in the newer part of the park. They had some very nice patio sites with upgraded patios, space, BBQ's, etc., and of course, change more for these too. Very well run park, and the park shuttle does come to the park which is a real plus.).
Great to know about Apgar campground in Glacier Nat'l Park! Thanks.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We are at a KOA right now, southwest Minneapolis. Nice place, a bit pricy, but it is a metro area. Older but well cared for. We always look at what parks are near where we want to be, check the reviews, then decide. Sometimes that is a KOA, sometimes is it something else. I do admit that the extra amenities most KOAs have, like pools and playgrounds, were more important when the kids were with us. The one we are at now has a wonderful indoor heated pool, something we knew the family we were camping with would appreciate. We were right - the kids loved it.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I would agree most of the KOA that we have looked at are very expensive. For a quick overnight stay 60,00 is too high for us.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
I have very little experience with KOAs. Only one we used recently was in Gunnison, Co. and it was just fine except for poor WiFI. Otherwise no comment about KOAs.

As to WiFi. I design and install WiFi systems on campuses, so I think I know something about them. A quality experience depends on many factors. I agree with another poster above that in campgrounds WiFi should only be counted on at best for email and light web browsing. Anything else I consider a bonus. If you "require" a quality connection get your self a private hot spot installed in your rig. Hint: you'll get what you pay for on this. Both in terms of the equipment and the paid service.

In many wireless communication methods the weak spot is the local antenna. Generally, the higher the antenna the better. Individual experiences with different setups will vary a great deal. Think about attaching the external antenna to the top of your Winegard TV antenna, to raise and lower it. A good WiFi signal requires a wide and totally clear line of sight between both antennas. Which is hard to get in many RV parks. Frequencies used for cell service are not as impacted by objects as WiFi (both 2.4GHz and the 5.8GHz bands) frequencies are. Thus a cell hot spot will work well in many places WiFi will not. If you install either a private hot spot and/or a WIFi booster in your RV read ALL of the fine print about the equipment and have it done by someone who really knows something about the technologies and not just some installer. What it will cost depends on what you require from it.

Some RV campgrounds have invested significant planning and money in their WiFi systems and provide a quality experience while others added WiFi as an after thought in response to competition and done so on a shoe string budget. It shows.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Being from the Midwest, we always "knew" KOAs to be former corn fields. Flat and featureless, but close to the freeway off ramp for easy in/out overnight access.
I can name 3 KOA campgrounds within 30 minutes to 4 hours of Des Moines Iowa that have more amenities than most any other campgrounds in the area.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
We avoid KOA (KeepOnAdding) campgrounds whenever possible and patronize privately owned RV parks. As far as wi-fi we use our Sprint Phone personal hot-spot for connecting to the internet.

Best regards & safe travels to all...
All but a very small number of KOA campgrounds ARE privately owned.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #41

In case anyone is taking notes, since my last post in this thread we've stayed at the KOA in Cheyenne, WY which was a gravel parking lot with a few trees scattered around. The showers were clean though! It's right off of I-80 so you will get some road noise.

We're at Grand Island KOA tonight and it's okay as well with the bonus of having the option of ordering pizza or wings and having it delivered. This KOA is close to I-80 but the road noise isn't bad. It's our 3rd or 4th time here.

Again, we don't choose to stay in KOAs because they are KOAs. We stay because they're convenient.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
I can name 3 KOA campgrounds within 30 minutes to 4 hours of Des Moines Iowa that have more amenities than most any other campgrounds in the area.

Adel, IA - this looks like a well kept park with recent improvements, however, notice the rr tracks, just south of I-80, not too far from the campground?

Newton, IA - from the photos this looks like it is a nice KOA just outside of town, but again notice the rr tracks that run right through the town of Newton?

Waterloo, IA - this park looks well maintained, however it is across the street from a water park and notice the rr tracks that run parallel to I-380 and the rail siding at I-380 and S Marnan Rd?

I again submit a majority of KOA were built at old rr construction campgrounds, that is why they are so close to rr tracks. Jalan's post supports that position.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote