Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
KOA so far so good

been rving a couple of years and got started with koa. we've never had a bad experience with them. of course, they have a membership card with reward points.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k
06 jeep limited tow
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

We've been rather comfortable with our stays at KOAs. If nothing else, they are consistent, some are very good, and a few are really excellent. The campgrounds I have visited are clean, the people are friendly and helpful, the sites are well maintained and the hookups work. Most are not paved, but the dirt or gravel is maintained. When traveling with our grandchildren, KOAs tend to be our choice. When traveling by ourselves, sometimes we would rather be away from "family friendly environments" so we seek out other area campgrounds.
Just my opinion, and offered only because someone else started the post.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck on your future with KOA CGs. I stay in them occasionally. I have found the quality to be all over the map. The last two were real dumps. For the price they charge (KOA = Keep On Adding) I expect a well maintained CG. This means all landscaping trimmed and neat, level sites, garbage free, and all facilities open (or a "off season" rate). Good power (real 50 AMP electric) and water PSI are also a requirement.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

We normally use KOA for over-night stops. They're usually reliable, things work. On our recnt Oregon trip, the Lincoln City KOA was the only place we stayed where it worked as advertised in TL. WiFi didn't need a special code (two other CGs did), cable TV worked fine (though the TV in the rig has a problem!), power pedestal was 30A, but that's all we need. The sewer hook up was a long way away, but my hose just reached. Check-in people were friendly and didn't blink when we said we had two Labradors. Laundry worked fine and was reasonably priced.

We tend to stay at State or COE parks if we're doing more than just an overnight, as they tend to have more open spaces between sites and they're usually at very scenic places.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have stayed at many KOA's in the last few years. I joined, and I have a rewards card. One of the better things I like is the on-line reservation system. Find a KOA location, plug in your rewards number, search for a site and it will pop up every site that meets your pre-qualifications for length and hook-ups. It is especially helpful if you are trying to find a place over a holiday period.

Yes, they are a little more pricey in some areas, but they are reliable.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We've stayed at several KOAs that were just awful. Got a load of sulphur water at one in PA as I recall that took DAYS to get the smell out of the water system....

But, with a little due diligence , I find many of them to be fairly handy for an overnight when on a road trip. They do have a fairly good web system for reservations and usually have some longer sites for those of us that are sometimes challenged in the length department with tag coaches and toads.
I HAVE sent messages to corporate a couple times both in praise of and ranting about KOA cgs. Corporate forwards the message to the local owner and does keep track of who gets raked over the coals.

Ya can ALWAYS pretty much rest assured that a KOA will be fairly close to the highway including the noise and such that goes with that. On the road, that's pretty hard to get away from unless ya plan your route stops well in advance and know where yer goin. In winter a lot of the "resort" type places close up but the KOA will often still be open fer bidness. This IS a good thing.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
We avoid KOA unless there is absolutely no other choice. We have stayed in one that was decently maintained ...the many others we have been to were poorly maintained and overpriced ...and they added us onto their mailing list w/o telling us, costing us mail forwarding fees until we finally got them to stop the junk mail.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We found that on I-80 in Nebraske and Wyoning that in a lot ol locales, KOA was the only thing available near the interstate.

All we stayed in was about the same, clean and nice, but nothing to brag about, but also no complaints.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I have been staying at KOA's since the 1970's as my Mom would only stay at a KOA because they always had clean bathrooms (those were the days when we traveled in a pop up).

Now, KOA's are my wife's preference because they are consistant - clean bathroom (which she never uses), well behaved crowd, nice staff, store for an ice cream fix, etc.

We are KOA VIP members so we usually stay enought times to get a few free nights every year.

Plus the CEO of KOA is an Eagle Scout!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote