Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
olddog49's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 121
KOA Tuson AZ

We have stayed at the Lazy Days RV/KOA park in Tucson, AZ. for a few days. A very clean and nice park, Staff friendly and helpful. Even come by and pick up trash 2 times a day. If you come by to stay a few days be sure to do the Desert Museum, especially if the cacti are blooming, some were andamazing to see so many blooms on so many different types. Hummingbird Aviary a must, enclosure with maybe 20. Seen several nest with the baby hummingbirds. Old Tucson was interesting since 300 movies and tv programs were filmed in part there. got to say ..Tombstone did it for me, amazing place. Old west town and feel. Close your eyes and you can hear the boots and spurs walking down the wooden sidewalks. To know, standing in the middle of the road, you may be standing exactly where Wyatt Earp, Doc Holiday, Billy The Kid, and many other actually stood and die, well ok some of them. Reenactments of shootouts, many historical landmarks. If your into this type of thing, you will certainly enjoy it, and don't forget BootHill. About an hour out of Tucson and 30 minutes of I10 at Benson.
__________________

__________________
Pam & Rod, and Maddix
2014 Bounder 35K
Las Vegas. NV.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog49 View Post
We have stayed at the Lazy Days RV/KOA park in Tucson, AZ. for a few days. A very clean and nice park, Staff friendly and helpful. Even come by and pick up trash 2 times a day. If you come by to stay a few days be sure to do the Desert Museum, especially if the cacti are blooming, some were andamazing to see so many blooms on so many different types. Hummingbird Aviary a must, enclosure with maybe 20. Seen several nest with the baby hummingbirds. Old Tucson was interesting since 300 movies and tv programs were filmed in part there. got to say ..Tombstone did it for me, amazing place. Old west town and feel. Close your eyes and you can hear the boots and spurs walking down the wooden sidewalks. To know, standing in the middle of the road, you may be standing exactly where Wyatt Earp, Doc Holiday, Billy The Kid, and many other actually stood and die, well ok some of them. Reenactments of shootouts, many historical landmarks. If your into this type of thing, you will certainly enjoy it, and don't forget BootHill. About an hour out of Tucson and 30 minutes of I10 at Benson.
olddog49
It is not necessary to stay in a "spendy" KOA RV park to see and do any of those interesting things....(in fact every winter for 12 years we've boondocked on BLM land much closer to the attractions you listed than Lazy Days RV/KOA).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Just south of Twin Cities
 
Cooperhawk's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 miles south of Lakeville, Mn
Posts: 1,588
We stayed at the KOA about a month ago and also found it a really nice place. We ate at their resturant and it wasn't bad either. I don't mind spending the money for a nice place with all the amenities, but I guess if you can't afford it, then the BLM is a good choice.

Also while there be sure to visit the Pima County Air Museum and Davis Monthon AFB Boneyard. You can purchase tickets right at the museum for the boneyard tour.
__________________
Retired FAA ATC,
VFW AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities
 
Cooperhawk's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 miles south of Lakeville, Mn
Posts: 1,588
And while you are there you can pick oranges, grapefruit, and lemons from the fruit trees all over the park.
__________________
Retired FAA ATC,
VFW AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
spinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX, 77069
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We stayed at the KOA about a month ago and also found it a really nice place. We ate at their resturant and it wasn't bad either. I don't mind spending the money for a nice place with all the amenities, but I guess if you can't afford it, then the BLM is a good choice.

Also while there be sure to visit the Pima County Air Museum and Davis Monthon AFB Boneyard. You can purchase tickets right at the museum for the boneyard tour.
On Thursday of last week Boeing donated a 787 dreamliner to the Pima Air Museum you should be able to see it there, if that is of interest to you
Steve
__________________
Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We stayed at the KOA about a month ago and also found it a really nice place. We ate at their resturant and it wasn't bad either. I don't mind spending the money for a nice place with all the amenities, but I guess if you can't afford it, then the BLM is a good choice.
Also while there be sure to visit the Pima County Air Museum and Davis Monthon AFB Boneyard. You can purchase tickets right at the museum for the boneyard tour.
Cooperhawk
Apparently you think boondocking is only about the $$.
IMO boondocking is all about independence and freedom, (while RV resorts are about 2 times a day trash pick-up).... and maybe some free fruit.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,134
Let's stay on topic please , this is not a boondocking thread.
Thanks
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Just south of Twin Cities
 
Cooperhawk's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 miles south of Lakeville, Mn
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
On Thursday of last week Boeing donated a 787 dreamliner to the Pima Air Museum you should be able to see it there, if that is of interest to you
Steve
Wow!! That would be great to see. It's only a few minutes from the KOA.
__________________
Retired FAA ATC,
VFW AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
datrbone8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 852
If you'd like something in between boondocking and Lazy Days you can try Gilbert Ray Campground - Pima County It's convenient to Old Tucson, The Desert Museum and a short drive to both downtown Tucson and the Air & Space museum.

It has the advantage of a more natural setting than Lazy Days but offers electricity.

Our favorite place to camp in the Tucson area is Catalina State Park Arizona State Parks: Home in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains in the Coconino National Forest. Gorgeous setting but just a mile or two from restaurants, shopping, movie theater, etc. Make reservations- it can get fully booked, but the sites are spaced nicely so it's never crowded
__________________
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
If you'd like something in between boondocking and Lazy Days you can try Gilbert Ray Campground - Pima County It's convenient to Old Tucson, The Desert Museum and a short drive to both downtown Tucson and the Air & Space museum.

It has the advantage of a more natural setting than Lazy Days but offers electricity.

Our favorite place to camp in the Tucson area is Catalina State Park Arizona State Parks: Home in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains in the Coconino National Forest. Gorgeous setting but just a mile or two from restaurants, shopping, movie theater, etc. Make reservations- it can get fully booked, but the sites are spaced nicely so it's never crowded
The RV sites at the Pima County Fair Grounds are inexpensive also and convenient to Tuscon area attractions.
The RV Park at The Pima County Fairgrounds | Tucson, AZ 85747
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
datrbone8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 852
The Fair Grounds are rather far away off of Houlton Road and are not very nice. They may be a little cheaper though if you want to do anything in town you'll spend the difference in fuel and time.
__________________
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
The Fair Grounds are rather far away off of Houlton Road and are not very nice. They may be a little cheaper though if you want to do anything in town you'll spend the difference in fuel and time.
datrbone8
The Pima County fairgrounds is only 10 miles east of Lazydays, (which of course makes it 10 miles further from town and 10 miles further from some attractions).
However it also makes it 10 miles closer to others.

BTW.... "not very nice", (like most everything), is in the eye of the "beer holder".

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
olddog49's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
olddog49
It is not necessary to stay in a "spendy" KOA RV park to see and do any of those interesting things....(in fact every winter for 12 years we've boondocked on BLM land much closer to the attractions you listed than Lazy Days RV/KOA).
Mel
'96 Safari
That is true Mel, but when you have a 82 years father in law traveling with you. Tendency to be closer to medical facilities is more important.
__________________
Pam & Rod, and Maddix
2014 Bounder 35K
Las Vegas. NV.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
DGBPokes's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2010
Location: McAlester Ok
Posts: 1,408
Spent Feb. in Tucson, and just loved it. Let me share a tip if you plan on seeing lots of the local attractions. In downtown Tucson is the central tourist/ visitor center. They have a "passport" for $18. It has coupons to all the major attractions and many smaller ones. They allow "two admittance, for the price of one. We paid for the purchase price in two attractions. It included discounts at Tombstone, the Titan II missile museum ( a must see!) and other attractions not in Tucson but the area.

Beware: the employees at the visitor center will try to defer you to other options, so you have to insist on the passport booklet. Understandable, they would rather you paid the full ride. We bought ours in Feb, it did not expire until Sept.
__________________

__________________
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Bern,NC KOA Longweekends Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 3 01-27-2015 10:41 PM
Sam's Town RV Park is now Las Vegas KOA Rossi6998 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 34 11-12-2014 10:55 AM
KOA Las Vegas tjd Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 12 10-24-2014 12:59 PM
KOA Expecting 100,000 for Holiday Weekend DriVer RV Industry Press 2 05-20-2014 02:13 PM
Luray koa p3chief Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 04-20-2014 06:47 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.