Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
L.A suggestions

I have a business trip in February and will be seeing clients in the L.A area. I have zero intentions to drive the coach into L.A. Looking for suggestions as to where to stay as I plan to drive the toad into the mess that is L.A. Thanks

Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

In about a week I'm going to be passing through LA from north to south on my way to San Diego. At one point I thought about staying for a few days but then decided against it. This regional park came up on my radar. It gets pretty good reviews and looks like it would be easy enough to get to.

Prado Regional Park

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

LA is a big area. We drive through LA often as we live in San Diego and daughter and son in law live in Oregon ( on a farm with RV hookups!) Just need to plan your drive around rush hour times. There are a couple of parks we have stayed at in Valencia area. We were going to stay at Dockweiler Beach for Christmas, but had to change our plans because we lost our RV in a tragic fire ( long story but new one is ordered). There are other parks around too, so I would;t get scared off of staying in the LA area with your RV. Just make sure you check into the park reviews first as some are better than others! Good luck!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
East Shore RV Park would work. It is about 20 miles east of downtown at Puddingstone lake.

Malibu Beach RV Park is slightly North of LA and on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific.

Golden Shores RV Resort is in Long Beach on the bay and would be about 20 miles south of LA.

Dockweiler Beach is West of downtown near the airport but also near a sewage treatment plant. Had a smell problem there once.

Those are the ones I have stayed and are all nice except for the possible smell at Dockweiler.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Dockwieler or balboa
Old 01-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #6

There's a couple of parks in the San Fernando Valley (Walnut RV park and one other not far away) which might be useful if that's the end of L.A. you need to be in... you wouldn't want to drive from Long Beach to Chatsworth if you didn't have to!

Steve
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #7

Don't forget Santa Clarita/ Valencia near Magic Mountain. RV park right off I5 at 126.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It really all depends where you are going to be conducting your business while you are here. If you even remotely consider L.A. traffic a "mess", then I highly recommend parking your motorhome as close to where you plan to meet your clients. Use the Woodall's or Good Sam websites or smartphone apps to show you which of the recommended sites are close to your client meetings.

Los Angeles County is deceptively large. Even with excellent traffic flow it can take hours to drive from Valencia, Acton or Palmdale to Downtown Los Angeles, the South Bay Area, and Long Beach.

I have stayed at every one of the places mentioned, and they are all clean and well maintained. However, they are hours away from each other, and can be very far from where you intend to be.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If it were me I would be staying at Valencia Travel Village right off the I-5 freeway on CA 126. There is easy access to the freeway and it's about 30-45 minutes into LA depending on the time of day.

I used to live there while working in the film industry.

It is VERY large and RV friendly whereas the others mentioned are either tight cramped or a significant distance to drive into LA.

Mileage wise Dockweiller RV Park is probably the closest if that's what you want. However, LAX airport is nearby and ALL of the planes takeoff towards the ocean so if that's what you like go for it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all for the suggestions, some look quite promising. Once I arrive, I have 2 days I need to drive into Santa Monica,then 2 days into Studio City. Then we travel north to Sacramento. Over the last 20 years I have always just flown into L.A , so I am quite familiar with the stalled traffic. I bought the coach so I could now take my wife and dogs with me on business trips. This will be out first extended trip, 4 weeks / 16 stops along the way to visit clients from Fla to Ca, L.A. being the only destination I'm not all that fond of.
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

I spent 33 years living in Santa Clarita and working all over the LA area, given where you are going to be, from a drive perspective, I wouldn't stay in Santa Clartia, the drive is not any easier, and it's farther. The only advantage is that it's on the way to where you want to go next.

I'd consider what the family wants to do while your working. Beach? Disneyland? Museums or Ca Science Center? Then Dockweiler or Golden Shore. Magic Mountain? Go ahead and stay in Santa Clarita.

Just some thoughts
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

Agree with ChileRick. If you have business in LA...stay at Dockweiler, otherwise it is not a mileage thing it us a time thing. 20 miles outside LA sounds reasonable until you see the traffic. Could take you 2 hours or more to do those 20 miles.

Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgator View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions, some look quite promising. Once I arrive, I have 2 days I need to drive into Santa Monica,then 2 days into Studio City. Then we travel north to Sacramento. Over the last 20 years I have always just flown into L.A , so I am quite familiar with the stalled traffic. I bought the coach so I could now take my wife and dogs with me on business trips. This will be out first extended trip, 4 weeks / 16 stops along the way to visit clients from Fla to Ca, L.A. being the only destination I'm not all that fond of.
I had a business trip in LA a couple of years ago was there for a week and had to drive downtown to the civic center for meetings. I stayed at the Anaheim RV resort park. Was clean fairly easy drive every day to downtown LA about 30 min to 45 depending on traffic. Easy to get to with the RV although I will admit after a week of driving the toad in rush hour traffic when I left on a Monday morning with the RV we got up at4am to get started I did not want to pull a toad through morning rush hour traffic.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #14

If you have business in Santa Monica or Studio City and will be heading north afterwards, I suggest you stay at Malibu RV Park up the hillside from the beach. Pricey...but worth the view.