Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
L.A. To NC, Maryland, DC, NY and back!!!

In 7 days I will have approx. 4 1/2 weeks to make it to North Carolina (family), Maryland (family) and while we're there, might as well get to DC and NY for a day or two. Family of six in a 40' Pusher with a GMC 2500HD Sierra toad.

We'll be taking the I-40 there and back.

Looking for the "watchouts" and "not worth-it's"

I don't have much time and definitely don't want to waste any of it, so if there is anything you have experienced and didn't think it was worth the time or money please advise me.

The first leg will be down and dirty. I want to get there and spend time with family. The way home will be the better opportunity for sight seeing.

I have also downloaded the "Roadtripper" app on iPhone/iPad. So if anyone wants to share their past planned routes with me, my username is CzarCzuk.

thank you all so much.

Jon.
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #2

Since your traveling I-40 thru NC the Biltmore house estate in Asheville would be well worth to see. Good luck and safe travels! [emoji106][emoji106]
watersupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_drago View Post
In 7 days I will have approx.
4 1/2 weeks to make it to North Carolina (family),
Maryland (family) and while we're there, might as well get to
DC and
NY for a day or two. Family of six in a 40' Pusher with a GMC 2500HD Sierra toad.

I don't have much time and definitely don't want to waste any of it, so if there is anything you have experienced and didn't think it was worth the time or money please advise me.

The first leg will be down and dirty. I want to get there and spend time with family. The way home will be the better opportunity for sight seeing.

I have also downloaded the "Roadtripper" app on iPhone/iPad. So if anyone wants to share their past planned routes with me, my username is CzarCzuk.

thank you all so much.

Jon.
What is your "Driving Style"
Miles per day?
Wal*Mart or CG?
More than One Driver?
Kids ages?

Route to NC -- https://binged.it/2oDDIFr -- 2400 -2500 miles just to NC then DC a day then NYC a day on the train (You do not drive into the city)

So with LOOOOONGGGG (long) driving days I would guess you have burned almost half your time - BUT - you still have two Weeks + so what are you after? I would suggest a day at the Beach - Look into Williamsburg on the way to DC - Cherry Hill in DC - Train to NY - what else do you need to see and do on the East Coast - You will have driven through the Smokies - Asheville is high on many lists

How much time with the "Family" in NC and MD?

Think about I-70 as the route Back?

Map -- https://binged.it/2oDIOBq -- 2750 miles back from B'More

I'm guessing it will not matter what route you take as it will be at a rather fast Pace.

Break your trip up into either Time periods or Legs - IMHO it will be easier to deal with as the distances and the days will not overwhelm.

Sounds Like it might just be Crazy - but then again It could be GREAT!

Last did you look into air fare? .....

Will be interested in how the tread goes and more than that how you go.

Keep us informed,

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
D.C. Is more user friendly than NYC. We've spent a week in DC several times. We've spent a week in NYC it seems that way with our day trips there. If you think your drive will be a couple of hours plan on it being twice as long. I agree that the train, bus, taxi and walking is better than driving. We live about as far north in NYS as you can, it's not far enough away.

Do you have some sights you know you want to see?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
DO NOT drive your toad into DC..

Stay at Cherry Hill Park, Hop on the bus, and take the Metro (train) into DC. Union Station is right in the middle of the capital with easy access to the Capital, Museums, etc.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
In 7 days I will have approx.

4 1/2 weeks
....>>>>.... Month of May?

to make it to North Carolina (family), Maryland (family) and while we're there, might as well get to DC and NY for a day or two. Family of six in a 40' Pusher with a GMC 2500HD Sierra toad.

....>>>>.... Look at I-70 for route Back.

....>>>>....WO's Tolls - Low Trees and Big Rocks in the Dark, these seem to jump out at you on long drives in CG's late at night.

....>>>>.... IMHO - Just nose down and GET to NC, ASAP. Wal*Marts first two nights then a decent CG to let the Kids unwind - then on to NC.

....>>>>.... How much time with the Family?

....>>>>.... look these two sites over - This Family did it often with success - 17 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips - Stan's Pictures will show you areas along the way - Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

thank you all so much.

Jon.
Will continue to check in as you fill us in with more info.

BOL,

Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
What is your "Driving Style"

Miles per day?

Wal*Mart or CG?

More than One Driver?

Kids ages?

Route to NC -- https://binged.it/2oDDIFr -- 2400 -2500 miles just to NC then DC a day then NYC a day on the train (You do not drive into the city)

So with LOOOOONGGGG (long) driving days I would guess you have burned almost half your time - BUT - you still have two Weeks + so what are you after? I would suggest a day at the Beach - Look into Williamsburg on the way to DC - Cherry Hill in DC - Train to NY - what else do you need to see and do on the East Coast - You will have driven through the Smokies - Asheville is high on many lists

How much time with the "Family" in NC and MD?

Think about I-70 as the route Back?

Map -- https://binged.it/2oDIOBq -- 2750 miles back from B'More

I'm guessing it will not matter what route you take as it will be at a rather fast Pace.

Break your trip up into either Time periods or Legs - IMHO it will be easier to deal with as the distances and the days will not overwhelm.

Sounds Like it might just be Crazy - but then again It could be GREAT!

Last did you look into air fare? .....

Will be interested in how the tread goes and more than that how you go.

Keep us informed,

Best of Luck,

I will most likely be the only driver, my wife will be handling our 10 month old.

As for kids ages it will be 9, 7, 4 and 10 months.

I may try to get my wife to drive but that might be a tall order considering we'll have a toad.

I will definitely not be driving up to New York, as far as campgrounds, I think that we can do some dry camping overnight at Walmart, then every few days maybe a campground so we can do laundry and use full hook ups.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
I will most likely be the only driver, my wife will be handling our 10 month old.

As for kids ages it will be 9, 7, 4 and 10 months.

I may try to get my wife to drive but that might be a tall order considering we'll have a toad.

....>>>>....Probably just you, less stress on everyone.

I will definitely not be driving up to New York, as far as campgrounds, I think that we can do some dry camping overnight at Walmart, then every few days maybe a campground so we can do laundry and use full hook ups.
First thing I will always suggest on any long road trip - can you leave after work at 4 - 5 , allows you to get out of town an down the road 4-6 hours - 2-300 miles (You will be lucky to average an Honest 50 MPH) This will pay off big as it just is time found to get where you are going.

Need to be sure to pack the Video Games - Maybe have the older ones write a trip report to turn in next year in school - "What did you do last Summer" - report - Good shoes - Rain Gear - May in Mid-Atlantic States - from 60-99 degrees just depends on your luck - See if you can find a Really good seat Cushion - you will need it for those long days - as there is little along the way till you get to the destination, I'd just just drive till it's time to eat - stop - get out - let everyone run around then get back in and go some more - Repeat - Breakfast, on the road - Lunch - Dinner - with stops.

https://binged.it/2onDDtg

I would guess you might get this far at the end of 2.5 days - Lot's of good Camp Grounds for you and the Kids to play and unwind - then another Wal*Mart night and arrive in the Family's Driveway.

https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm - Wal*Mart locations.

What do you think?

Old 05-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$54 to see a hole in the ground (AZ Crater). Kids enjoyed it. But having a Samsung/Inverter problem. If u can help. See my post in the tech section. Thx.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK folks, pitstop in Memphis for tonight. What's a good spot to Boondock or RV park?