Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Lackland AFB

Greetings. Our son and daughter in law, The wife and myself plan to attend our grandson's school graduation at Lackland AFB. We plan to drive the MH and tow the toad.

We would like to stay in the base RV camp (I'm retired military) and son and wife (the parents) at the base lodging. Anyone have information about Lackland AFB RV camp and lodging? Any help appreciated.

SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

No but the RV park at Ft Sam Houston was great back in 2003

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know about the lodging, but we have visited Lackland FamCamp in the TOAD while staying at Ft. Sam. The FamCamp is nice. I don't believe that they take reservations and the do have overflow. It would be considerably more convenient for you to be at Lackland if your son is stationed there.

We were at Ft Sam last spring or so and at that time it was undergoing major construction and was changing over to Joint Command. The Army RV Park there was on a reservations system at that time. It is a real nice RV park with good level sites. Close to Downtown and the River Walk.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

I was at Lackland/Kelly AFB for about 4 months for training and if you don't mind staying off base, the Blazing Star RV Resort is a nice choice. They have concrete pads, laundry facility, and all the normal amenities. It is about 15 minutes from the base. Also, it is not far from Sea World if you get the chance to go there during your stay. I have never stayed at the Fam Camp there. Just trying to give you some options.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Try U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks. Gives lots of info including phone numbers.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

RV Parks Review has postings about them.

RV Park Reviews :: Home
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Try U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks. Gives lots of info including phone numbers.
Thanks Chief. Just took a look . Campground isn't far from the parade grounds. Now to find the lodging facility. Howfully my son and daughter in law can stay there since they are parents of a student. If not they get the fold out sofa bed in the RV (I hate those things).
SKP #111927
Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I know for fact that at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, family members of Active Duty and/or retired personnel can stay at the AF Lodge, subject to availablility. Believe rules vary between Commands and are set locally. I would call, or have your Grandson talk with Lodge at Lackland to see what the policy is and make reservations if it is allowed. Either of you, or your grandson, can sponsor your son and daughter-in-law.

Here is a link that addressES who can utilize AF Lodging.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lackland AFB Lodging info

Happy trails.

Editied: You can stay at the lodge also. It may be nice to have everyone in one place. Most military installations have a storage lot that you could ut the RV in. Just a thought.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
The lodge is next to the FamCamp. The enlisted mess is also in the area. We stayed there and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As you pointed out, the FamCamp is not far from the parade ground.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #11

Thank you everyone for your replies. Now for the planning segment. We are excited about the trip and event. First time anyone in our family has attended a boot camp and school graduation. And almost all of us have been afiliated with the military in one way or another over the past 100 and some years. And this will be two trips. One for boot camp and one for school graduation. Again, thanks.
SKP #111927
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
When I went through basic, the Tis told us that graduation was not a big enough deal for out of town family to attend, because back then you marched right back to your dormitory to await your orders, and no time off was granted to meet with your family.

When I went back a couple of years ago I found that this was no longer the case, and that basic training for the Air Force is now two weeks longer.

SteveCal, you are not far from where we used to live. The wife and I moved to Tennessee last year after spending fifteen years in Crestview. The kids moved to Pensacola to finish college at UWF.

As you are traveling to San Antonio on I-10, stop in Luling at Buckees. Great fudge and sandwiches made to order. Think of it as a Stuckey's, Texas style. And as their billboards proclaim, they have the cleanest and largest restrooms I have ever seen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No reservations at Lackland RV FamCamp but lots of of overflow. There are about 28 full hookups all back-ins and about 15 overflow with AC and Water. Then there are a couple dry camps while you wait for an opening. You can not enter the base with an RV at the main gates. You must use the Contractor gate behind the old Kelly flightline. Call the camp and they will give you directions. You can rent a room for your family at the Gateway Inn. It is real close to the RV FamCamp and the Parade Grounds. Ft Sam takes reservations and is about 45 min from Lackland. Yoy can get a book at any BX which has all the locations fo Military RV Camos and base lodgings and there telephone numbers. Also the Military RV site: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks will give you all the info on Military Campgrounds. Almost all Military Lodging can be reserved on line at: DOD Lodging.

Jim and Gayle, SMSgt USAF Ret.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #14

Thank you jr and crew. You people are the best. It is a pleasure to be in the midst of friendly, helpful adults.

SKP #111927