Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #1

Lake Anna State Park

Has anyone stayed there?
We are looking at going boating on Lake Anna in July and need a place to stay(camp).
It appears the only other legitimate place to start is Christopher Run which does not have impressive reviews, to say the least.
My only concern is the lack of sewer hookups. there will be 4 adults and 4 kids along on the trip.
It also sounds as the boat launch is about 2 miles from the campsites. So, we would need to pull the boat out each evening before dusk. CR has both sewer hook ups and boat docking. But once again, the reviews do not sounds worth the risk.

I only found one other thread on Lake Anna. Anyone else stay there; thoughts?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
EricGT, I have not stayed at Christopher Run - when DW and I had a TT we stayed at Dukes Creek but they had no hookups at all. The campers around us had nothing good to say about CR campground. Sorry not much help - looked at the state park and they do not offer much as far as hookups are concerned.

Jim
Old 04-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

I have been thru Lake Anna a State Park but never stayed there. There is a nice swimming beach and the sites were fine. As with most Virginia state parks, there are no sewer hook ups.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have stayed at Lake Anna State Park. Very nice campground, wide sites, you have water and electric but no sewer. I just used the dump station on the way out and all was good. You can fish in the lake, hike the many trails there or just chill. The staff is friendly but the camp store is mostly books and things. Tomorrow night I will be staying at Small Country Campground in Louisa, VA. It is on the other side of the lake from Lake Anna State Park.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #5

Christopher Run CG is my go-to and gas been for many years. Excellent launches, with courtesy shore boat tie up. Excellent CG with almost all sites being wooded and well maintained. My family and I have stated in tents, lodges and in our 35' RV. Site D-13 is my preference for motor home. Most sites have sewer hookups and there is a dump station. Nice swim/beach area for kids. Highly recommend for convenience of boat launch/courtesy slip.

Schmukles
Schmukles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lake Anna state park is the best bet in my opinion. Nice large private sites. I stay there a lot since I'm local and we like to boat and camp. You can leave your boat in the water overnight at dock. Decent walk up fairly steep path or you can drive. No sites with water views but still very nice. Not as busy as Christopher Run so it depends what you want. Quiet hours are enforced by rangers and you will see many deer in the eves and early mornings. Horses often seen on the many trails throughout the park. Pick your own site when you get there so be early on holiday weekends. If you can conserve on your dump needs, you will do ok. I don't remember if CR has cable tv but I know the park does not. Let me know if you have specific questions as I've stayed at both locations.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
Lake Anna state park is the best bet in my opinion. Nice large private sites. I stay there a lot since I'm local and we like to boat and camp. You can leave your boat in the water overnight at dock. Decent walk up fairly steep path or you can drive. No sites with water views but still very nice. Not as busy as Christopher Run so it depends what you want. Quiet hours are enforced by rangers and you will see many deer in the eves and early mornings. Horses often seen on the many trails throughout the park. Pick your own site when you get there so be early on holiday weekends. If you can conserve on your dump needs, you will do ok. I don't remember if CR has cable tv but I know the park does not. Let me know if you have specific questions as I've stayed at both locations.
Thanks for the input!
Yes, we decided to go with the state park. The online reviews are so much better than Christopher Run so it became a no brainer.
So, they do have a dock we can tie a boat to? That would be nice not having to relaunch every morning.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes they do have a dock and sometimes people leave their boats tied up overnight. If you are real particular or over protective, you might sleep better with your boat either on your site or at least in the parking area on the trailer. Can be some extra work launching daily, just depends on how comfortable you are leaving it unattended. Of course the park is closed after dusk so no one should be around. When you going? Stop by and say hello if you are there and you see my unit (from my signature). I'll be interested to hear how you liked the campground.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #9

Lake Anna State Park

We stayed there on September 11, 2016. The sites are nice, fairly level, and clean, but most are back-in. The pull through sites were mostly occupied on this off-season stay, so I expect they are difficult to get during peak times and weekends. There were plenty of back-in sites available. We had electric and water hookups which are available at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sites. The bath house was very clean with good showers and even a washer and dryer. During our stay, we swam on the large beach and I hiked some of the hiking trails. One of the trails is a fitness trail with periodic exercise equipment along it.

There is dump station at this facility, but no site sewer hookups.

VA State Park camping fees are among the highest, so expect to pay about $42 to $47 a night (VA resident/non-resident fees).
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote