Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Lake Guntersville State Park, AL

Hey folks,
My wife, 4 girls, and I took our first camping trip in our 84 allegro. They were out of school Friday and Today, so we left Thursday evening. We used to tent camp, until now. Everything worked, even the furnace which I had not tested. The only thing to do now is to get the Onan running.
LGSP is a great park. The atmosphere is great for family. Deer walk freely in the park. Lots of hiking trails, and great fishing. My wife, who used to tolerate my need to camp, is now telling me that we are going at Thanksgiving.
I do somewhat miss the whole tent camping manly man experience, but with 4 girls, 10, 5, 4, and 2, this was great. It is the perfect compromise. The only problem we had was that the girls kept fighting over who was sleeping on the drop down bunk...lol
To top it all off, this motorhome was a gift. I've invested only about $500 total. It has truly been a blessing to my family! Anyway, God bless... have fun out there!

83project is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
I have been to LGSP before but stayed up in the Lodge. Will be back soon for a meeting. The campground, golf course, waterfront and park could not be nicer. Alabama State Parks can be proud of their facility. Take a ride up to the lodge and check out the view of the river from up high.

Remember, it's not always the destination,
it's the journey. So let's go...
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
It is an awesome view. My family and I like to go up and eat at the lodge on lazy days. Great food.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
We have stayed at LGSP several times. Alabama has some great state parks. We have stayed at 7 of them. Our favorite is Cheaha State park. While I was setting up the trailer my wife and son fed a deer who just walked up to us. That was in 2001 and my son still talks about it! If you stay at Cheaha there are 2 campgrounds -- stay at the top one. Don't ask why your question will be answered when you leave.
John, Pam, Nicholas, Aria
NKK 16073L
2007 Essex 4502
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
I plan on Cheaha, and Desoto, from it's peak you can see for miles
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
I stayed in the cabins at Guntersville 20 years ago - great park. And I've been to Cheaha, DeSoto and Oak Mountain. Alabama does indeed have great state parks (and I live in Texas)
sandersmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
At DeSoto State Park,AL- (On top of Lookout Mountain)ask the Ranger lady how to find the covered bridge. It's between the park and Mentone.. and no .. the motorhome won't fit...

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
That is a neat bridge. I wouldn't even try the mh. It is not something yet I would drive with any passenger anyway. As of now, 50 mile range and park it, is all I'm trying. Runs good but it is 26 yrs old....