Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lake Havasu RV Park Recommendations

We've stayed at Cat Tail Cove and have reservations in April 2018 but might need to make some changes.

Due to illnesses we may need to spend more time in Havasu next spring. I can't extend the state park reservations due to the 14 day limit. I'm looking for a 2 to 3 week stay prior to Cat Tail and it would be the end of March to early April.

I don't know much of the other parks near Lake Havasu but did think the island parks were either too crowded or starting to be run down.

I'm looking for opinions on a park to use with a 37' HR Neptune DP with toad. We are looking at Havasu Falls RV Park, Prospectors RV Resort, or D-J's RV Park. Lake Havasu State Park would work for only two weeks but not if we needed 3 weeks.

This is the end of the snowbird season and before school being out so I'm also hoping we don't get locked out by too many still staying. I've looked at reviews on campgroundreviews.com but rely more on personal experience.

Did searches but could not find much and looking for comments.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #2

in my opinion the only park worth staying in LH is the state park but as you say the 14-day limit is a problem. on our first trip to LH and before we discovered the state park we stayed at Havasu Falls. no shade, very clean, very quiet and the pull-thrus were large enough for our 40' Class A and toad. it's maybe 5-mins farther out from downtown than the state park. we would stay there again.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have stayed at Campbell cove RV, no problems and close to everything. It appears several full timers stay there and they except passport America. About 1/4 mile walk to water. Staying at islander this weekend. A little expensive but it depends on what your plans are.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #4

About seven years ago we stayed at Cat Tail Cove for a weekend. Once we set up we (wife, grandson and I) walked over the hill and found the adjacent state park, which was nice. However, if my memory is correct, there were less than 20 spots and they were first come first serve. The state park had a launch ramp was was nice. Cat Tail Cove did not impress me. Our 29' class c barely fit the spot assigned to us. Our current 38' class a would have to be assigned to another area of the park. Don't get me wrong, there were no issues with the park itself. Maybe I was just expecting more. Two good features of the park was that it was fairly close to IHOP and the London Bridge.
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree that Cat Tail Cove does not have many large sites. We have 53, which we had 2 years ago, for a week but might need three more and we will not fit on many of the sites. 53 is large enough as I had my 34' TT there and still had room.

Sand Point, over the hill, has been closed for awhile and is now owned by the State. They are redoing it and don't know when it will open.

Thanks all for the comments but this time we may not have alot of time to get reservations as a relative is ill and we may need to spend extended time on a short notice.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Can you boondock for extended periods? There are wonderful spots all over the area. You can buy a dump and fresh water fill at a number of spots.

A year and a half ago we spent almost a week at one of the campgrounds on the island, and I agree it wasn't anything to write home about! We said the next time we stay in the area we will definitely boondock.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed at Campbell Cove for 3nights, clean
, a little shade the price was right with GS discount
Very hot last week.
donmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

LHC in March ; two words " Spring Break " any where around the island is a ZOO with the students and near the water is noisy, boats , watercraft and powered hang-gliders .
Snowbirds start filtering out mid month, depending on their weather at home , like myself to be back in Canada by April first. I'm not staying in LHC, but it's where I do most of my shopping.
If I was staying in the time frame you mention , and had to be close to town , I'd be away from, the island downtown and the water.
For health reasons ? Do you need to be close to the hospital?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Got a relative with real serious health problems. Don't know if we go next month or next spring.

UTTransplant: Can't boondock as we still have a little furbaby and need the AC for most of the time.

Skip426: Thanks for the update on the spring break times. I hope we find out the time in the next couple weeks and then I can start making some plans. Right now I'm still trying to find out what is the best and then I'll figure where we can fit in. I don't need to be right in town since we will have the toad and a few miles is no big deal. Also don't need to be near the water.

Thanks all for the information.

In the spring we are trying to get back east for the MS in Elkhart with 419.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed one night at Prospectors last April. It was probably only 30-40% full by then. It was nothing special but served the purpose for downloading between runs of dry camping.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

To the south is Havasu Springs.
I believe that they have extended stay sites and it's not as much a spring break destination
Old 06-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
To the south is Havasu Springs.
I believe that they have extended stay sites and it's not as much a spring break destination
Thanks I'll look at it.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #13

North of LHC is a RV resort called Havasu RV Resort. It's an ownership park, but people do rent out their spots. Might be an option.

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #14

I live in Lake Havasu so I hope I can be of help. If it's a State park you're looking for you can try Lake Havasu State Park at Windsor Beach. Also, you can go south to Parker to the La Paz County Park, right on the Colorado river. The parks on the island (Islander, Beachcomber and Crazyhorse) are nice but pricey. You might also try Colorado River Adventures, they have two parks across the street from each other, and away from the crowds.
havasurv is offline   Reply With Quote