Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #15

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I can't wait for camping season to start! Although I am wondering why I am thinking of going north after this long, cold winter.
Jeannie Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie Ann View Post
Although I am wondering why I am thinking of going north after this long, cold winter.
You and me both. Our first trip (3 week) starts in June with us going from southern Ontario across the US to South Dakota and Montana and then up into Nortern Alberta. We have kids and gran kids out there or I would be just heading straight south instead. Sure hope we don't have cold June.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
We stayed at the city campground in Grand Marais, MI overlooking Lake Superior which was just beautiful. Small town very nice. Next day we drove to Munising and took a boat tour of the pictured rocks...highly recommend it. The boat company has a kennel should you want to leave your dog at no charge. Everything is beautiful in the UP of MI!!
Thank you very much ....we resemble that remark ! I live on a Mt. top 40 miles west of Munising,in Marquette. I retired up here 6 years ago and built my modern glass cottage on a rocky top. I can see Grand Isle from my couch.Your visit was I am sure on a calm day, its not always like that, can be very rough as there are no protected water on the Pictured Rock boat ride.. I encourage anyone to forgo the boat ride if its a NW wind much over 10-12 nots. There is a lot more to see than just that, view, which is great, but I know of better places near Marquette. Try Presque Ise city Park , its a wonderful jem not known to a lot of tourist. The park was designed by Fred Olmstead, who did Central Park in NYC and the Biltmore Estate in Asheville.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The Scenic Drive from Duluth to the Canadian border is a great route. We stayed a couple of nights in Grand Marais at Campground, Camping, RV in Grand Marais Minnesota It's a short walk to "downtown" and, the only time this ever happened to us, they asked us to walk to the campsite to see if we liked it...

Also, Welcome to Lakehead Boat Basin Duluth Minnesota Lake Superior RV camping at a marina, 30 sites only. Not someplace you would spend more than one day but pretty unique. The sites are right on the water.
You are correct, Grand Marais, MN. is the best place to spend the night on the Arrowhead coast of Minn. Its a quaint , artsy town , very laid back, no problems. We just found a quiet side street and parked there for the night, no one cared a bit and I am 65 ft long with my offroad Sammy and trailer.
If you like Pie , there is a little restaurant, that makes everything from scratch and is world renowned for their pies, don't miss it, its on the Main st. you will see it when you get there. Do not confuse this with the "pie Place" further south before you get to GM. ,which is not worth the stop and there is no place to park because its over run with tourists.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie Ann View Post
Looking at taking our motorhome (30 ft Outlook) around Lake Superior this July. Would love any input on the best places to camp. There will be 2 adults and 2 teens and we will not be towing a vehicle. Thanks for your help!
The Lake Superior Circle tour is a great thing to do for just about anyone, highly recommended, I have done it twice all 1300 miles, and because I live in Marquette, have done parts many many times.Don,t forget to send in for your certification to be a member of the elite who have completed the tour.

On the US side the most spectacular area is of coarse the Copper Country in the UP of Michigan. Make sure you spend several days there, all the way to Copper Harbor on the northern most point of land and the end of US 41 that starts in Miami, Fl. I have been going there for over 40 years, every year on my Birthday in July.

There is so much to see and do all around the Biggest Fresh water shark and salt free inland ocean on the Planet ! Everyone here thats done it will have their favorites that they have shared. You will no doubt, also find your own, its that kinda trip, no pressure, laid back all the way and affordable ! I have done it all , I encourage everyone to subscribe to Lake Superior Magazine , thats our " bible" for what goes on all around the lake.

I have lots to share, and will answer anyone's questions on any part of the tour plus , my favorite things to do,.... but then its in my front yard , so take some of what I say with a small grain of salt. Warning; I do not work for any of the enterprises around the lake, nothing I say is intended to be advertizing , just pure personal experiences. There is nothing exclusive here ether, many thousands take this trip every year. Its very popular these days for Motorcycles too. Have a wonderful summer exploring this very special Lake on Mother Earth . There IS a reason its called Superior !
Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The Scenic Drive from Duluth to the Canadian border is a great route. We stayed a couple of nights in Grand Marais at Campground, Camping, RV in Grand Marais Minnesota It's a short walk to "downtown" and, the only time this ever happened to us, they asked us to walk to the campsite to see if we liked it...
Short walk, perhaps 2 blocks.. And the rates were not that bad (Though the 2nd time I was there they went way up) Only complaint is Nick-o[lock showers, but other than that I liked the campground.. And recommend it.

Oh, by the way, you are perhaps 100 feet from the Lake Superior Shore, at the east end of Painted Rocks national lakeshore which is a lovely sight, but you need to go to the west end to catch a boat ride.

Not on the circle but a side jaunt to a State Park just west of Paradise (You'll be glad you made it) might be interesting too.

Tahquamenon Falls State Park These falls are unique in several ways, though not nearly as high as many other water falls (Michigan has taller falls) the flow rate is like #2 after Niagra. And though it is not recommended you can walk under these (Like I said they are not so tall). And unlike Niagra the nearest business (not counting the canoe livery) is a long walk from the falls.. Or you can get a ride to the other end of the water fall (An island) If you read the poem Hiawatha.. This is the "Swiftly Falling Stream" The Hiawatha national forest is nearby as well. And some nice Sand Dunes. and more.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Short walk, perhaps 2 blocks.. And the rates were not that bad (Though the 2nd time I was there they went way up) Only complaint is Nick-o[lock showers, but other than that I liked the campground.. And recommend it.

Oh, by the way, you are perhaps 100 feet from the Lake Superior Shore, at the east end of Painted Rocks national lakeshore which is a lovely sight, but you need to go to the west end to catch a boat ride.

Not on the circle but a side jaunt to a State Park just west of Paradise (You'll be glad you made it) might be interesting too.

Tahquamenon Falls State Park These falls are unique in several ways, though not nearly as high as many other water falls (Michigan has taller falls) the flow rate is like #2 after Niagra. And though it is not recommended you can walk under these (Like I said they are not so tall). And unlike Niagra the nearest business (not counting the canoe livery) is a long walk from the falls.. Or you can get a ride to the other end of the water fall (An island) If you read the poem Hiawatha.. This is the "Swiftly Falling Stream" The Hiawatha national forest is nearby as well. And some nice Sand Dunes. and more.
We consider any worthwhile side trip as part of the Circle Tour. Fact is, there are so many places off the main highway, some 50 or more miles one way, that doing the CT once is never enough ., as you can not do it all in one trip around Superior.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #22

We are going to do this in September. Counterclockwise. We have a DP and no toad. We are bringing our bicycles. We live in the NE LP of Michigan, so we've been all over the UP.
Questions?:
1)We are wanting to camp at the Agawa Bay campground and see the petroglyphs. Is the campground close enough to walk to or even ride our bikes to? I understand that they are near the mouth of the Agaw River. I've been by the spot several times but never stopped.
2)What foods and drinks can we bring into Canada? Haven't been for a while. We used to go skiing at Searchmont, north of the Soo, a few times a year and bring a picnic lunch.
Thank you.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
We are going to do this in September. Counterclockwise. We have a DP and no toad. We are bringing our bicycles. We live in the NE LP of Michigan, so we've been all over the UP.
Questions?:
1)We are wanting to camp at the Agawa Bay campground and see the petroglyphs. Is the campground close enough to walk to or even ride our bikes to? I understand that they are near the mouth of the Agaw River. I've been by the spot several times but never stopped.
2)What foods and drinks can we bring into Canada? Haven't been for a while. We used to go skiing at Searchmont, north of the Soo, a few times a year and bring a picnic lunch.
Thank you.

yes you could ride bikes to the petros. Not sure about road shoulders though. Check with the Provincial Park headquarters. No fruit both ways. Canada Customs, may not care. US will. Canadians really do not care what drinks you bring in. There are limits on booze and wine,seldom are there problems. I would not bring in cases of hard stuff. ,but come to think of it, we came thru on way to Alaska and had a lot of wine,cigars, ,not so much booze, they often look the other way. A little trick you can do if you have large amounts of regulated items is pull into US Customs first and explain you are not going to consume everything while in Canada. They will put Customs seal on your boxed items, Canada won't even say a word when they see the US seal tape.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #24

We're just bringing enough for the two of us for a week. Thanks.

dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote