Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Lancaster PA.

we are planning to go in sept. with our tt. and would appreciate any comments re; camp grounds and the area. we are both retired .....thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
There are Many Great campgrounds in the Lancaster area. What are you looking for? Something close for sightseeing? Relaxation? Quiet camping? One next to a Amish farm? Let me know, we have been camping in that area for over 35 years. Great Place.

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Lake In Wood is our favorite. Its in Narvon Pa not far from Lancaster.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

We have been going to beacon hill every Oct from 2006 its next door to a Sam's Amish farm in intercourse PA. The campground isn't big but nice and also clean and the owner are great people. They have a dog run for the pup. will be there the 3rd week of OCT

2004 33L WINN
2014 Jeep
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love Spring Gulch, the sites up on top of the mountain are large stone campsites with woods between. It's right near Lancaster.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
We stayed here last fall because of it's proxmity to all of our planned excursions.

http://pinchpond.com/

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. One thing to mention the campground is close to a shooting range. We knew it was there and could hear shots being fired occassionly but it was not constant. If you chose to stay here I suggest you get a site as far away from the turnpike as you can.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Country Haven in New Holland is a quiet CG. Views are beautiful and very close to Lancaster and Bird-in-Hand.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

We will be bringing our new to us coach home in a couple of weeks and want to stop in the Lancaster area. We won't have our car with us. Is there a campground that is close to things to do or have some sort of shuttle? Guess we could rent a car if necessary.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
We will be bringing our new to us coach home in a couple of weeks and want to stop in the Lancaster area. We won't have our car with us. Is there a campground that is close to things to do or have some sort of shuttle? Guess we could rent a car if necessary.
Mike...... we camp in the area all the time. Can not think of any campground which offers tours. You could check with the campground before booking. They might have a tour bus which stops on the property.

Some of the Campgrounds - Flory's (small, but next to an Amish Farm)
Mill Bridge
Roamers Retreat
Country Haven
Circle M ( Thousand Trails but will allow
non-members in slow periods)

Florys , Roamers and Mill Bridge are close
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skstrickland View Post
We stayed here last fall because of it's proxmity to all of our planned excursions.

http://pinchpond.com/

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. One thing to mention the campground is close to a shooting range. We knew it was there and could hear shots being fired occassionly but it was not constant. If you chose to stay here I suggest you get a site as far away from the turnpike as you can.
It's also close to the PA Turnpike - trucks all night.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
The area is quite spread out and I don't know of any of the Campgrounds' mentioned in this thread that have a shuttle bus. If you want to see the area a rental car would be necessary.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Mike
beacon hill is in walking distance to the country kitchen which is in the town of intercourse.when I have stayed at the hill I have rented a car and the car company did bring me a car to the camp site and when we left on a sunday we were told to leave it by the office and leave the keys with the office. The campground gave me the info on the car rental.Just to let you know alot of store s are close on sunday if not all. Thats the day we travel to and from landcaster.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Stay away from Mill Bridge. They have a strict check in time of 3 PM. Also power was a big problem when I was there in July. Like no power on one leg of a 50 amp connection. This was on several sites. Not fixed when we left after 5 nights being there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having lived near there, we used to go there multiple times each year. Beacon Hill is nice and surrounded by Amish farms. When we used to go there they had an ice cream social on saturday evenings and the Amish families from those farms came over and conversed with the campers. Don't know if they still do that as it has been years since we went there. It is in the middle of one of the largest tourist areas out there.

We started going to Roamers Retreat which is in Kinzer, outside but close to the attractions. Nice quiet campground. The front section is mostly seasonals, but the back section (which I think is nicer) is open.

We used to love going to Spring Gulch until they got bought by Encore. Personally, I prefer going to private CG's and not the big corporate owned CG's. It may or may not have changed, but that is just the way I feel.

Mill Bridge is a older campground and has been there many years. The owner is upgrading the facilities but don't know how far he got. I did have issues with power the last time I was there. My surge protector opened about 5 times over a single night. Got the ower the next morning, he put a meter on the line and we saw the power jump from 110V to under 90V periodically (my SP opens lower than 93V). He opened the box ans found a loose neutral. No problems after that. There is a working Amish farm next to the CG which is nice.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote