Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Last Minute Florida

Heading down to Fl in about 3-4 weeks with no reservations. Not planning to stay any one place more than few days to week at most. Hoping to hit the keys. We have no reservations and did read in older post that people have had success getting places at State Parks and resorts due to cancellations. If you are willing to move regularly that it should not be a problem. Wondering if anyone has had experience doing that. We are interested in the keys and southern areas if possible

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I wouldn't go to the keys this time of year without firm plans on where to stay. I hear they are not friendly to RVers who want to park overnight unless they are in a CG.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
paz

Many RV parks in Florida have openings for a few days to a week or two here and there. The problem is if you want to stay longer you may have to move to another site or another campground. It may take a few phone calls; but since you want to stay a week or less, you should be able to find openings.

As Ramblin says, the Keys are very popular in winter. It is highly unlikely you will be able to get into one of the few state parks in the Keys, but you may find a space in one of the RV parks that charge $80 and up a night. However, I would call a couple campgrounds before I drove all the way down there to see if they have openings.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #4

Good luck and have a safe trip...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #5

You probably will not have a problem until you try and go down to the Keys.
Probably would be a good idea to stop at a park somewhere north of the Keys and then call and make a reservation.
We like to go to TY Park in Hollywood / Ft. Lauderdale http://www.broward.org/Parks/TopeekeegeeYugneePark/Pages/Default.aspx

From there you have easy acess to the Fla. Turnpike or I-95 whichever you want to use to go down to the Keys. I would use the turnpike though.
Previous poster was right about camping anywhere but in a campground. It is not allowed anywhere that I know of.
Check rvparkreviews.com for park info.
Have a good and safe trip.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We just spent two days in Key West in a B & B. Drove down from Naples and left the Bus behind. That being said we did drive through several parks and did not find one anywhere near full. Siesta Key for example was less than 50% occupied. Now I did not stop and check with the reservation desk, but my guess is if you where willing to make few calls I doubt you would be homeless in the Keys this year.

For what it's worth, we stayed at Key West B&B on Williams street, just a couple of blocks and a very short walk to Duval Street and Mallory Square. $200/night. Very clean and quiet. Nice room and breakfast. Parking is a bear!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mention 3-4 weeks away from leaving. I would suspect you'll find places as long as it's not an extended stay. Most campgrounds leave openings for short term visitors. Hope you have a good time. The weather down here has been GREAT so far for us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
we have two favorite spots in fl .We stop in Panama City for a couple of weeks then on to Bradenton for 2 weeks I just called both places and asked since i didnt know my exact leave and arrive dates was told at both places no problem we will have a space for you.
my two regular spots are Pineglen in Panama City and Linger Lodge in Bradenton. Linger Lodge is definetly old Fl
brianj
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We stay every year in the Keys for the winter. State park wise, forget it without reserving way in advance. There is always the chance for a cancellation or "wait for a walk up" but you might be out of luck and there is a no overnight parking ordinance in Monroe county.

The office at the private park we are in now tells us they are booked for Feb except for some primitive sites.

If you are still interested in camping in the Keys, start making some calls and keep checking ReserveAmerica for cancellations.

As far as other Florida state parks, any waterfront park will still be tough this time of year. The inland parks are much easier if that is OK with you and some are very nice. Here is the list of all of the Florida SP for full facility camping Welcome to Florida State Parks

Good luck and drive safely.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Hi Paul and Margery - thanks for the reply and your great blog. We know it is very expensive per night in the keys but don't plan to be there more than 7-10 days. Doing lots of visiting in FL for the trip so the keys will be side trip. I noted from your blog that you are members of Passport America. Do they really honor a 50% discount at all their parks? Seems too good to be true. If it works as well as it sounds sign me up!! Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigginsct View Post
Hi Paul and Margery - thanks for the reply and your great blog. We know it is very expensive per night in the keys but don't plan to be there more than 7-10 days. Doing lots of visiting in FL for the trip so the keys will be side trip. I noted from your blog that you are members of Passport America. Do they really honor a 50% discount at all their parks? Seems too good to be true. If it works as well as it sounds sign me up!! Thanks for your comments.
We're heading down in a couple of weeks but fortunate we can stay at the military CG in KW. Checked out the Passport America CG's and one indicated it did not honor PP during the high season, and another only allowed the discount for one night! Didn't waste my time checking the other three CGs listed as PP-related and didn't bother to sign up for it, either.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

just came back from the Keys and hanging out in Fort Myers... Siesta Key Park was advertising 299 per week stay so while we were there so I assume they have spots but they are a good piece from Key West... good luck!!!

ps and yes passport america is 50 percent off but ususally nit in high season in Florida...
Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #13

Thanks to all who took their time to respond. We have lots of fun homework to do to prepare for the trip. Uncover the motorhome and get it road ready for a 4,250 mile round trip. Loved all the suggestions and we will do it. I am hoping to blog this trip - my first time at that as well- and we will see how it all turns out. Thanks again. You all are a great bunch.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #14

I see lots of people who like spontanious adventures drive to Homestead FL and stay at the worlds busiest Walmart while they call to all the camp grounds in the keys to check on availability. You could even stay at the Southern Comfort RV park in Homestead and commute to the keys but I wouldn't. Check out their reviews first. Don't go all the way into the keys without a reservation because there is no plan B if you don't find a spot. There is also a Miami-Dade county park called Larry and Penny Thompson campground in south Dade but it is to close to troubled neighborhoods for my taste.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida