Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
If these changes were to come about I would think about joining until them no thanks.
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
The TT in Bridgeport, TX needs about a million bucks in repairs.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I would agree that waiting out be advised except....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordiesel250 View Post
If these changes were to come about I would think about joining until them no thanks.
Remember you cannot "join" Thousand trails anymore. You can buy someones membership or you can buy a yearly Camping Zone. These are only one year in length and the price is not fixed. If what they are saying turns out to be true and the pricing starts moving up it may be time to pick up someones membership.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #18

today we moved into Thousand Trails Lake Conroe CG .... from the banners on display, its clear that the folks here haven't gotten the word about reducing long term leases .... that's most certainly needed here, many folks circling looking for a site while most of the sites are occupied by empty campers on sites under long term leases
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Following this thread

Interesting to hear actual experiences before we move forward with a purchase. More than one of you already have mentioned campgrounds full of RV's just sitting there on long term leases with no occupancy and patrons driving around looking for a camping spot.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #20

We have been TT members for over 2 years now as we full time, mostly on the Western side of the US. Initially started with a 2 for 1 zone pass and then upgrading to Platinum resale. For us, the program has worked well but parks vary as to how they are managed.

It is becoming clear this year though that many parks have removed the really trashy rigs and have made more sites available by reducing the number of annual sites. Several, such as Soledad Canyon, are getting ready to convert a huge area to 50Amps as well as letting leases expire without renewal. Some, like Wilderness Lakes are allowing rigs to park in unleased previous annual sites. Though we did find Pio Pico, east of San Diego, apparently restricting use of unleased annual sites.

Parks also vary as to how they handle mail and packages. Wilderness is now charging $2.00 per package (Amazon for instance) because of the large numbers of items coming into the park. Wilderness is also the 2nd most active park in the TT system.

We pay a little over $600 per year for our plan and can stay at a park for up to 3 weeks with few exceptions during peak season, such as Palm Desert, CA While we will spend money to stay along the ocean somewhere or other non TT destinations, for the most part, sites are significantly larger than any sites we have stayed at including parks where we have paid up to $80 per night.

It will be interesting to see how the planned changes and/or upgrades pan out over the next few years. And as a side comment, in our 2 1/2 years we have never had a problem with making reservations as long as those reservations are made 30-60 days out. Try state parks where often reservations have to be made well over 6 months out.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #21

Funny all this talk of getting rid of annual sites today we got a email advertising annual or seasonal site at the Kennissee Lake preserve in Ohio
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #22
isa

Triple E Owners Club
In many TT parks there are "cabins" occupying sites that were once available to the members. These "cabin" sites keep growing and growing taking more sites out of the RVing folks inventory. In my home park of La Conner, WA these "cabins" occupy some of the choice sites that were once available to all members.

I originally bought a lifetime TT Gold Card membership that was the top of the line at the time. Since buying our membership ($8995) some 25 years ago, TT/ELS or whatever name you wish to call them has re-invented their sales promotions several times over to squeeze more money out of the members.

We still use/stay at TT resorts but are a little bit wiser of some of the promises and the pitfalls of the stated improvements to be made. La Conner was promised a swimming pool more than 20 years ago, we are still waiting. Caveat emporos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit1957 View Post
Remember you cannot "join" Thousand trails anymore. You can buy someones membership or you can buy a yearly Camping Zone. These are only one year in length and the price is not fixed. If what they are saying turns out to be true and the pricing starts moving up it may be time to pick up someones membership.
Interesting as I was just given a free year membership this past week to TT with the purchase of my new MH. I am not a TT fan because of all the same, negative comments made in prior posts. I can only speak to the Pacific Northwest parks, though. As far back as 20 years, the TT campgrounds I have seen were not something I was interested in due to the bad condition they wee in. Maybe this is going to be a change for the better. As it stands right now, I do not plan on renewing this membership as I think it starts at about $500 / yr.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit1957 View Post
Annual spot leasing is over.
Several premium spots were leased for up to 5 years and not available to TT members. They are not renewing any of these and as the annual leasers move out those spots will be returned to everyone to use. It will take 4 years before all contracts are up.

Randy

we are currently camped at the Lake Conroe Thousand Trails .... yesterday I spoke with one of the folks who works in the front office and asked about the above .... she said the only thing they have heard there will be no more 3 year leases .... they have a banner right outside the Ranger Station advertising Annual Leases for sale .... the decision appears to be motivated not by a desire to reduce the number of annual sites but rather to get them to where they must be reissued every year and Thousand Trails can go up on the price each year
Old 05-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #25

Zone pass holder here

Got a call today and scheduled the webinar for tomorrow. We signed a 4 year 2 for 1 zone pass agreement @$425/year. 14 days in 7 out, $3 night after 30 nights. We are satisfied so far...Gateway to Cape Cod, Lake and Shore, Timothy Lake all good parks for the money. This notion of getting rid of seasonals doesn't make any sense. From a business point of view a site that seldom turns over and generates thousands of dollars annually in revenue must be very profitable. My rate is a teaser rate to get me in the door...can't make money on a zone pass camper that hits his 30 nights a year and then camps for $3. We like TT and hope the promises of improvements materialize. Seasonals pay the bills, we hope they continue.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:56 AM   #26

Well, I am not happy to hear about the conditions at Lake Conroe. We will be there over the Memorial Day weekend. We received a Zone Pass (1 year) when we purchased our used MH from PPL in Cleburne. So far, we've only been to their Lake Whitney property - it is only about 20 miles away and proved to be a "mini-shakedown" cruise for us. It was a one-nighter as I was rolling into night shift for a two month stint (still on).
They sure do make their "resorts" look good in the brochures though. I hope we don't have to battle huge crowds all looking for the ideal full-hookup spot. At least I can get by on 30 amp service. I hope that helps some. The trip to Lake Conroe will be the first time we have hauled a toad, and will be the longest trip to date in the MH.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Went on Ebay and looked at TT memberships on sale. Was not at all impressed by what we saw. Is there other sites that have used memberships for sale?
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #28

Just completed webinar mentioned in my previous post. Pushed a "legacy membership" for $4,595 which is of no interest to us. We don't want to own anything or enter into a lifetime commitment at this time. The zone pass is a good deal for us. We will reconsider if we expand our camping after we fully retire.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test