Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Leaving Cody Wy

What is safest route out of Cody Wy to Colorado Springs ? And what Rv parks would you suggest at Colorado Springs ( we are towing a 35ft FW) ? We intend to visit Pike Peak and Royal Gorge .

Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled out of Cody on RT20 to RT120 back to RT20 to Interstate 25. Thermopolis has an interesting dianosor museum. No problems with roads with a 39 foot MH towing a toad. We stayed in the KOA in Colorado Springs. It was OK.

While in Colorado Springs we also visited; Garden of the Gods (beautiful-don't miss), Pikes Peak, and Air Force Academy. See our blog.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Can't help you with route or lodging...we often go to the Springs as we have kids there. We stay at the USAF Academy campground.
However, while staying in the Springs, don't miss having a berry salad or buffalo burger at The Keg in Manitou Springs. Or the Omelet Parlor (YUM!) 900 E. Filmore St in the Springs.
Also in Woodland Park, the Hungry Bear is great! The Zoo in the springs is fun too. Beer drinker? Phantom Canyon downtown Col Spgs (brewery/restaurant)...but then again theres lots(!) of breweries there.
Enjoy your trip.
Safe travels.
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Not sure if Royal Gorge amusements are open. Might check. That fire went thru there ??
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Master of Disaster

20->26->I25 is an easy drive. Don't forget to keep an eye on the winds as you'll be going across Cheyenne during the annual Wyoming Wind Festival (runs from January 1 to December 31st each year ).

And if it's a weekday, traffic across Denver can be a giant pain in the hind end, making the tolls on the E-470 loop well worth it to bypass Denver itself.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club

My hometown is Colo Spgs and I gotta admit there aren't many fabulous commercial campgrounds there. I'm retired Mil and I stay at the Air Force Academy, which is very nice. There is a fairly nice campground north of the city off I25 at a Monument...I don't remember if it was KOA or a private CG. For other campgrounds checkout the Colorado State Parks campground website. They have a very nice campground at Cheyene Mountain (Fountain, CO). If you don't mind the daily drive and like tranquility checkout Mueller State Park in Divide, Co. At night you can hear the elk bugling in the fall.
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
I would second the recommendation of Cheyenne Mt state park. We absolutely love it there. A small park with great views. And you can get out your binoculars and try to peek at NORAD as it is directly above the park. Very convenient to all the goodies that COS has to offer - Pikes Peak, CM zoo, Garden of the gods, etc.

Have a great visit!

Melissa, Chief Executive Navigator
33Ft. Crossroads Sunset Reserve TT
WanderinTXun is offline   Reply With Quote