Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Liberty RV Park, Jersey City, NJ

Has anyone ever stayed at the Liberty RV Park in Jersey City? We would like to do a NY visit and came across this location that seems to have easy access to Manhatten.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #2

I've stayed there three times. Access to the city is good either by train or boat. The RV park is not classy - few amenities but OK. Mostly parking on rock and close to each other with power and water. There is a dump station on site.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've stayed there three times. Access to the city is good either by train or boat. The RV park is not classy - few amenities but OK. Mostly parking on rock and close to each other with power and water. There is a dump station on site.

X2 except I've been there 5 or 6 times. Location , location , location.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Going back in July! Love eating at Stella's
Old 10-22-2014, 04:37 AM   #5

I agree with cider dog -- short walk to subway. 4 blocks or so. Ferry is right there. The office will arrange for a bus tour of the city. Great tour.

Russell
Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Not about the park but if you do visit NYC and you will be there a few days I'd suggest you buy one of the two or three or four day tours bus passes - on & off at many locations and an ongoing verbal description of the locat sites. Gray lines and a Red bus and probably others provide these tall buses.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #7

Also- don't miss the naked cowboy & the painted lady along with many other special people at Times Square. Lol

Russell
Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Best way from Penn Station to Liberty RV at night

So my husband and daughter will be taking the RV during the day to avoid the night time drive and I am taking the train later as I must be at school. The train arrives at Penn Station at dark.

Questions #1 - What is the safest way for me to get to the RV park at night?

Question #2 - He will be taking Rt. 78 coming in from the Allentown route. I've been told that he must be sure to take the Jersey City exit off of 78 (and that it comes upon you quickly) or you end up in Manhattan.

Any other concerns or restrictions for a 40' RV we should be aware of?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

Liberty RV Park, Jersey City, NJ

Well I've been there. But you for sure don't want my directions. We had fun finding it. I think Cliff in previous post # 3 has stayed there several times. ??

Russell
Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed there last month, like others said, not classy but location is key. We or should I say my dog met a skunk, so critters do exist in the city. Took subway to NYC several times at night, no issues, it drops you at the new Freedom Tower, lot sof police etc around. Walk from station to RV park is well lit in a seemingly upscale neighborhood.
If you use a Garmin be careful as it will want to take you through the Holland tunnel when you leave, not a good idea.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstehman View Post
So my husband and daughter will be taking the RV during the day to avoid the night time drive and I am taking the train later as I must be at school. The train arrives at Penn Station at dark.

Questions #1 - What is the safest way for me to get to the RV park at night?
You're in luck. The New Jersey PATH train's terminus is Penn Station, so you can catch it there, and can't make the mistake of going in the wrong direction.

It's about a 20-minute ride to the Grove Street station; Liberty Harbor is less than a 1/2-mile walk south from there, with no notable safety issues.

Note that the PATH train is different from the New York City subway (and bus) system. You can buy an unlimited metrocard for use on New York City buses and trains, but it can't be used on PATH trains. However, if you have a "balance" on a NYC metrocard, to be used on a pay-per-ride basis (not unlimited), you CAN use that metrocard on the PATH train--it'll deduct the cost of that ride from the balance.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Path train

Thank you. That is my big concern. Getting from point A to Point B safely. Sounds like the Path train is the best way.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

We stayed at this campground this past summer. I was pleasantly surprised. When you first arrive, they hand you a folder full of information of the area and transportation. Very nice touch! The campground was packed full. Our 33 foot trailer was 1 ft away from the trailer behind us. We took the PATH to NYC. It was easy and safe to walk to the PATH. Be aware - It was not easy to get to the campground even with the instructions from the campground. If you are not familiar with the area like us, I would recommend that you research the best way to get there and that you are aware of the tolls. We will definitely be going back in the near future but I will have to figure out how to avoid those crazy tolls. I would love to hear from others what route to take coming from the South (Charlotte,NC) in order to avoid or at least minimize the tolls.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Cant believe it is snowing but husband and daughter left a last night instead of today as planned. I'm following behind on train this afternoon). Excited to go and will report back with info for future travelers.