Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi johnhicks,
I do not agree with you. There are places in the north Georgia mountains that rarely get above the low 80s. Altitude, one must search for altitude. Then check the historical weather temp by month.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All these responses are pretty good. It points to the size and vast diversity of people and geography in this state. Each of us has a place we love or can't stand.

You are spot on thinking you should do a slow tour of GA to find that "sweet spot". Taking your time and visiting the various regions and towns is brilliant. And obviously if you see an area you like, visit it several times to get the real flavor of the region or community.

Having lived and worked in all the regions of Georgia, and then finding my bride and raising a family over half a century, I'm partial to LaGrange, Pine Mountain, Warm Springs, West Point lake area. I get the green rolling hills of the Piedmont and I love the climate. We get distinct 4 seasons, but nothing so oppressive we can't deal with it. Over 40 years we've seen a few dustings of snow and had a few hot times, but we love it. Lots of RV opportunities and camping in the area.

I like being able to get to Atlanta to exploit what I want of a big city in an hour. I also like to be able to leave Atlanta in my review mirror and be back on home uncluttered turf in an hour! Its good living on the "non traffic" side of Atlanta.

But as you say, do your touring of the state and have fun making your choice. That alone will be a rewarding enjoyable effort. You won't regret throwing the anchor in GA!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #17

My research shows GA has 200k+ gaters. Are they an everpresant danger?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
South Georgia has plenty of gators, virtually non existent in the north. We used to have one in West Point Lake here mid state and they are just south of here but I hear he's gone. The further north through the state the climate will not support them.

I fish, worked and recreate on a lot of waters throughout the state and have fished a good bit around gators and they never kept me from fishing. Never felt uncomfortable with one around me, but just gave it good space and kept my distance. All that said I wouldn't go pet one or crawl in the water with one around.

Frankly I get more spooked about "Mr No Shoulders"" than gators. I've only come across a few of them in my life that I wish I had never seen. But I suppose the reptile situation in GA is about the same as any state in the southern or western US.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
FWIW, Warner Robins here, been here about a year and a half, and we like it here. We moved from VA Beach, and the first reaction we usually get is "why in the world would you do that?"

We moved because I took a new job, which I really like, which helps the overall attitude. The people are noticeably friendlier, and obviously have no earthly idea what a turn signal is.

Compared to VA Beach, the same home here would cost roughly half what it would up there. My wife was able to find suitable work much easier here, but that could have more to do with the improvement in the economy, as opposed to the area.

The winters are milder, and the summers a bit hotter. But one thing I have found very appealing is that we can go a couple of months in the early spring, and a couple of months in the early fall with no air conditioning or heat at all in the house. In 12 years in VA Beach, we were hardly able to ever do that, even for a few days.

RVing is obviously different here than in VA Beach. Up there we had several places we really liked, within a 50 mile drive. With the busy new job and the big move, we are just now getting started back to RVing, and really looking forward to it.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #20

GA sucks stay away!
Shmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
My research shows GA has 200k+ gaters. Are they an everpresant danger?
Only Gators fans
Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #22

Ohio native, but I have lived in S.Ga since 1997. Gnats and heat are the major distractors. But the temps in the winter make up for the heat in the summer. Gnats are worse some years than other. I won't be moving back north.

Not a lot of traffic down here like in Atlanta, but I have noticed an increase. Not sure how people stand to live in Atlanta.

Ga State Parks are great. Or I can be on the beach at the Gulf or Atlantic within 2 hours. Orlando or Tampa within 3.5. Mountains 5 hours.

I really like the small towns.

Not worried about Gators, unless they're from Florida, lol.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Not worried about Gators, unless they're from Florida, lol. "

Here at UGA we don't worry about them much any more. I do miss Steve Spurrier however. He was tough to play but I loved to see him throw his visor on the ground when something went wrong.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
All - Born in ATL, family settled state with Oglethorpe so we are plank owners. ATL is not designed for 3 million actually 6 m living there, just watch even news. It's a war zone, and traffic is horrible, way worse than when I lived there. I would never live in ATL metro area, no closer than Hall County south. In fact we live in N-GA mountains, and it's great. But, and I like this, the old southern values are alive and well, and I like that, so if conservative people, neighborly, but independent and speak their mind, bothers you, maybe someplace else might be better. Agree, GA roads are the best of all the states, and we have been through or on most of them. FWIW-12 times across USA in the last 4 years, and most of those Interstates are just huge truck routes. State parks system is very good, check length of spots before you make reservations. This spring is just been HOT, so if heat bothers you, well you have been warned. We got lots of bugs, and some snakes, so be careful out hiking, heck, just working in the yard can be exciting. Moved copperhead last year off the driveway and threw it in the woods across the street. Nothing so far this year, but its young yet. Did I mention hot, unseasonably hot this spring. By the time it changes, it's going to get hotter and bugger, but that is the south.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #25

Thanks for the first hand reflections of life in Georgia. I am a west coast native so it would be a long distance move for me. I look forward to visit GA.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
But, and I like this, the old southern values are alive and well, and I like that, so if conservative people, neighborly, but independent and speak their mind, bothers you, maybe someplace else might be better.

I couldn’t have said it better myself!!! People move to this great state of ours because our values have kept this state what it is. However, when they arrive for some reason they feel the need to bring the politics, and lack of values with them; which is what ultimately made them leave the state they were in to pursue a better life. This I don’t understand.
Shmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Thanks for the first hand reflections of life in Georgia. I am a west coast native so it would be a long distance move for me. I look forward to visit GA.
https://www.exploregeorgia.org/free-...a-travel-guide

You might want to get a copy of this mailed to you. Its rather thorough and will help you out. No cost for it. Good to have well in advance but you can also grab a copy at the state Welcome Center on whatever interstate you use when you arrive in GA!

Safe travels!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #28
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I liked living in Atlanta/Roswell with the exception of the bugs and humidity. And the TAVT tax as noted by someone else. Don’t register your vehicles until you are ready to be there a long time or don’t mind losing a bunch of money if you move out of state. We moved there, paid about $8k in TAVT taxes, then moved out a year later. All that money is gone. I call it a stupidity tax.
When moving into the state, I assume the TAVT tax is based on current value, correct? If so, do you know how current value is calculated?