Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lincoln Nebraska - What's There To Do?

My wife is a professional genealogist. Our first trip as full timers is set for June 1st. She has a large amount of research to do in Lincoln. I typically hang out at the campground for such trips but this promises to be a good bit of research and I thought I would get out on my motorcycle (street bike) and tour a bit.

Admittedly I am just now starting to research things to do. However.....

My questions are:

1. Where can I get a good lunch in the area
2. What museums should I visit?
3. Where are places that saw immigrants moving west and other pioneer places of interest (trails, historical sites)
4. Quirky or unusual places and things to see,

Any advice on where wander would be appreciated.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

I will put something together for you when I get back to my computer.
Bergy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Okay, for food there several options that I'm aware of that would be good to try. The Nitro Food Truck(check facebook for where they are at). I've heard very good and messy. Lippy's BBQ in Malcolm, NE (heard great ribs). Honest Abe's, really good hamburgers. The Haymarket area in downtown Lincoln is pretty neat for additional food.

Fort Atkinson State Park, just north of Omaha. Pretty neat historical site, rebuilt fort. If you want to go as far north as Ponca State park there is some Lewis and Clark historical information.

Morrill Hall on the University campus.
There's the roller scatting museum too, never been there.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #4

Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park by Royal, NE is also pretty cool. Would be about a 3 hour ride, but could be something to fill a day.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

It's about an hour away. But I have been told by a friend from Omaha that the Omaha zoo is very cool.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

The state capital is a unique building, Nebraska government is a Unicameral, the only one in the US. Omaha is not far away and a trip to Henry Doorly Zoo is one of the finest in the US, well worth the visit. A very nice aquarium there. There is a SAC Air Force museum about 1/2 way between Lincoln and Omaha along I-80. Get a RUNZA sandwich, headquartered in Lincoln. Also find out who has the best Pork Tenderloin sandwich, it's a Midwest thing, you won't regret it. There is the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs just across the river from Omaha. And of course lots of GREAT steak houses. Johnny's Café next to the old stockyards in South Omaha, not a cheap place to eat but excellent. Or, Gorat's Restaurant owned by Warren Buffett, you may even see him there. If you like fried fish try Joe Tess' Place also in South Omaha, if you go on Friday it may be a little wait since the area is (or was) mostly Polish Catholics that worked in the slaughterhouses and Friday fish is it. There is the Old Market area just east of downtown Omaha, now more of a tourist area. There used to be a lot of great Italian restaurants in "Little Italy" just south of the old market but most of the families that ran them are gone now, Caniglias used to be the best. I moved away and there have been a lot of changes. I grew up across the river in CB.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Valentino's Pizza. https://valentinos.com/locations/?pn=all
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
NextExitHist app has some interesting history and I have even learned a few this about my home town. You may give it a try and see if you like it. May be fun since you will be traveling.

Happy trails!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

They pretty much nailed it in the above posts. Henry Dorley zoo in Omaha is one of the top zoos in the world. Well worth the trip and the old market is about 5 minutes from there as well
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #10

Get a runza while in ne also!

Hay market area by pinnacle arena has blown up the last few years. Best place.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
1. Where can I get a good lunch in the area
2. What museums should I visit?
3. Where are places that saw immigrants moving west and other pioneer places of interest (trails, historical sites)
4. Quirky or unusual places and things to see,

1. From Lincoln take Hi 6 east toward Omaha. Avoid I-80. More scenic and easy ride on the bike. I did it many times and you will see other bikers there also. Area lunches in Lincoln downtown in the Haymarket area. Historic.
Omaha metro: For a steak, Goratts. It's where Warren Buffet goes. Petro's about 60th & Center. Diner . One of the top burger joints in the world is famous and historic Stella's in Bellevue. While in Bellevue (Nebraska's 1st town) there are some historic old church, courthouse, log cabin and so on to see. Omaha Henry Dorley Zoo has been top rated zoo in the world for many years. June time frame you might be able to catch the College World Series in downtown Omaha. And Omaha's Old Market is top notch.. I love Spaghetti works. I am not a big Spaghetti fan but love the many choices of sauces and spaghetti.

2. Museums. In Omaha is the Joselyn Art Museum. I have not been there in many years. On your ride back to Lincoln, (btw Hi 6 will take your right to downtown Omaha. It's the main drag going through town and there they call it Dodge Steet.) So just get back on Dodge (Hi 6) head west back to Lincoln and 1/2 way there is Ashland area Hit the SAC Museum. A must!! Very nice aviation museum. We have been there dozens of times and keeps getting better all the time. They often have a traveling tour from places like the Smithsonian there and so you get to see great history.

Within a 10 minute ride you will also find nice places to tour on the bike to various state parks. Secluded and scenic. One is called Ashland State Park I think, can not think of the other but folks there can tell you. The big State Park is Mahoney very close to SAC Museum and I would stop in there and get info on the other ones. There is a huge tower you can climb and get some great photography in. The SAC Museum / Mahoney SP all sit near the Platte River. You can spot Eagles. Bring binoculars and a camera. If you have a weekend free. Look at Elkhorn River area and hook up with a tubing company for a ride down the Elkhorn River. There are options for a ride from a few hours to a all day thing. Party time!! Tubing & Adventures
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lincoln Nebraska - What's There To Do?

I live 35 miles south of Lincoln ... ( in Beatrice ) Try and take in some of the Haymarket area in Lincoln while you're there. Lots of decent food and drink to be found there. Also if you're interested in history, there is the Homestead National Monument in Beatrice which is a national park and museum dedicated to the pioneers and homestead act. It's free too! Another thing to consider while you're here, if you want a tour guide and another rider to go with, I might be available since I love to get out and ride my Victory on weekends.
Ggnutsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:45 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In days gone past I used to have a contact in Lincoln.... If you are a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose (I do recommend) they have a lodge, the lodge does not have RV facilities but it does have a parking lot and of course a decent lunch is offered by many lodges (not sure on this one).. There are many fine restaurants ranging for you really should not eat there (Fast food burger shops) to some darn nice sit down and get served and leave a 20 dollar tip when you leave (you can figure out the total check from the tip). Also many other attractions.

That said I've only been there once.

Alas, My contact has moved on...... to the afterlife.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #14

We visit once a year to compete in the SCCA autocross championship and dry camp at the airport for 10 days. We use the dump station at the nice municipal campground Camp-A-Way

Way back when, I used to visit Lincoln for work and remember there is an observation deck at the top of the capital building.

There is a Harvest Host location north of town Windcrest Winery

X2 on the Haymarket area for restaurants.

If you need service Stephenson truck repair was very nice to us when they spent a week working on our previous motorhome back in 2009.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote