Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #15

No hand guns, mace, or other self protection items in Canada. Long guns OK, but must be declared and you must pay for a permit. As far as I'm concerned, more trouble than they're worth to get thru Canada. Milepost comes out in April each year. We get a paper copy every 3-4 years and do fine. Much easier to use than the electronic version. Don't depend on posted speed limits for frost heaves. Just go slow. These can be bad enough to throw you airborne or off the road and broken suspensions are not uncommon for unbelievers.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #16

We had no problem carrying and declaring our Guard Alaska bear spray. At the International Peace Gardens crossing, the very last information was this: You are not allowed to use your guns in self defense against any human. If you do, you will be put in jail. No one can cross the border with a handgun.

The weirdest place to see salmon run is in Skagway. They lose their way and end up in the gutters along the roads. Trapped they die and rot.

Soldatna has rv space right on the river. We stayed instead 10 miles down Funny River Road in a state campground. At the end of the camp road the river is right there with only a handful of people fishing. It's exhilarating and there is a small platform just to watch the river fly by.

As we headed north past Lake Kluane, we came around the bend with a semi headed south. A rock shot straight out from the front of his tire. Like a bullet we watched it hit the passenger side of the windshield. With the windsield damaged and a short 6 inch crack we completed our trip without having it repaired. Like we had a choice anyway. It was strange to watch that rock. Basically you cannot stop things like that from happening. Right or left wouldn't have mattered.

We travelled with a 250cc scooter mounted in back. Plenty big enough for two riders. Just a little trepidation travelling on the Denali park road for the first 13 miles. Take the bus.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
did it in 2009

We left May 2 back Sept 14. Were 260 miles North of Fairbanks and all major roads South of there. Milepost is a must. Went with another couple thinking we would just rent a car when needed, but cost was high so we bought a used Toyota at Elmindorf AFB and sold it when be got back for about what we paid for it after driving it several thousand miles. Put over 12,000 miles on the MH. We stopped at major point then toured with the car saving a lot of MH miles.

Would love to do the trip again.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
what about Canadian gun laws? would there be a problem with having a hand gun with you in your RV? as long as you have a US gun permit
Don't try it. Canada is not handgun friendly. Even long guns are a pain to bring into the country.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #19

You can bring at least 10 guns with you. The basic form can have additional pages. You will never be allowed a handgun. It is not difficult at all to bring guns and ammunition. Fill out the forms, have the guns inspected, serial numbers checked and pay up.

declaration form:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5589-eng.pdf

continuation form:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5590-eng.pdf
Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #20
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This is on my bucket list.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #21

gun laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
what about Canadian gun laws? would there be a problem with having a hand gun with you in your RV? as long as you have a US gun permit
Guns are not allowed into Canada and please don't hind one because the Canada laws are tough on that.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Every 3-4 years over the last 15 years have visited family (Fly up) outside of Fairbanks (North Pole) usually in August. Over-all actually find the roads better than here in NE. Ohio.

Also planning a AK. RVing trip in the summer of 16'. driven as far as Valdez and Seward. As far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue. Yes, there will be sections of unrepaired frost heavies where it might limit you to 45/50mph.

Plan a stop at the Fairbanks Visitor Center. ( Morris Thompson Cultural & Visitor Center ) Loads and loads of info...and displays. Easy parking for RVs. A few blocks east of downtown Fairbanks.

Other points worth looking into:

~ Alaskaland / Pioneer Park ( In Fairbanks with plenty of free parking ) Free park offering shops, museums, food offerings

~ Riverboat Discovery 3 hour paddleboat tour down the Chena River to the Tanana River including a stop at a Indian village.

~ University of Alaska Museum of the North

Museum of the North is a thriving visitor attraction, a vital component of the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the only research and teaching museum in Alaska.

~ Chena Hot Springs Resort Located about 60 miles NE. of Fairbanks at the end of a paved road.

~ Knotty Pine Shop Located about 30 miles east of Fairbanks

~ Santa Clause House X-Mas 365 days a year. Located 15 miles SE of Fairbanks. Easy location right off the freeway in North Pole.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #23

We left May 8 from Florida and just returned Sept 10th. Put almost 17000 miles on the truck towing a 34' travel trailer. If you have the time, spend as much time as you can as it is a long trip and you might as well get the most out of it.

We crossed the border in Montana and went through Banff and Jasper NPs enroute to Dawson Creek and the start of the Alaska Highway. The Canadian Rockies are beautiful along the Icefields Parkway. We planned on no more than 200 miles per day along the Alaska Highway. That way we were not rushed and could stop anywhere along the way we wanted.

We had only advance reservations in the Canadian National Park campgrounds and in Denali NP. Other than that we just made reservations about a week out except for the July 4th weekend.

We took the Cassiar Highway back south for a change of pace instead of retracing our route along the Alaska Highway. It was very scenic and the town of Hyder has a bear viewing platform to watch the bears fish for salmon.

Be prepared for two lane roads. Except for the U.S. interstates and a highway in southern Alberta, nearly all of the roads were two lane. We logged thousands of miles on these two lane roads some of which had no center line marking or shoulders. Many times we would not see more than a couple of vehicles per hour but the scenery was always great.

As others have said the Milepost book is a must. It provides a wealth of information on what is along all the roads in Canada and Alaska. It also has info on side trips to make from the major roads.
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
~Hehbr~

Any issues towing your 34' trailer?

Like tire issues (blow-outs) bent rims, suspension problems, any extra wear issues to your tow vehicle like stone chips, cracked windshild.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #25

No issues at all. Had a new set of Marathons on the trailer and the truck was only two years old. You need to be vigilant while on the roads up there as the winter weather creates potholes and frost heaves. Generally frost heaves are marked by a sign, cone, or flag but not always. Also they seem to turn pot holes into bumps when they are filled. Up to Whitehorse the Alaska Highway was pretty good. After Whitehorse the road to the Alaska border was not so good. Just don't be in a hurry to get there. I tended to limit my speed to not more than 45 mph even on the best stretches. That way I could look for the bad spots and still enjoy the scenery.
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #26

10 MPH just before the Alaska border. That was too fast. Dash looked like it was coming loose. Killed my back up monitor. Shaken to death.

At one particularly high heave, the entire exhaust system from the engine on back was laying on the side of the road. It was a car's exhaust not a MH.

We made a return crossing just above Plentywood in Montana. Leading up to the crossing, two hours without ever seeing a car. So those border guards were plenty bored by the time we arrived. They even asked me if I had KNIVES on board. I let them know about my guns by showing my Canadian paperwork even thought I knew it was not required. They weren't interested. So now the wise guys ask me where my guns are located. I told them locked in a case in my lower storage compartment. I offered to get them out. With complete arrogance they told me to stay put. Gave them the key. They ransacked the compartment then , when they couldn't get the stuff back in said I would have to do it. My tongue was swollen from biting it. I didn't serve this country to be treated like dirt by Jerks without any common sense.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #27

We must have met their brothers in Good Grief, Idaho. Same shi**y attitude and arrogance. And just as busy.

We've crossed at Sweetgrass, Montana about a dozen times and never had a problem. Quick, professional, efficient, and no attitude.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are there any websites that give a more up to date to the conditions for the roads? Will the Milepost mention sections of the Alcan or other routes that are regularly bad? year after year?

Another thread from someone who went up a year or two ago happened upon a section on the Alcan that got washed out and there was a 5 day closure.