Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Looking for a Campground On the Beach in CA

Ok, please don't laugh....

We're trying to plan a last minute vacation for this coming week and the DW and kids really want to go to the beach. Of course, everything is booked. Anyone have any suggestions where we might find a spot that can handle a 34 foot class A, with hookups (or at least just a 30amp plug) that is within walking distance to a beach? Prefer SoCal but will consider anything that's within a day's drive from Phoenix. We can leave any time from Sunday through mid week and would like to stay 3-4 nights. No toad.

I know this is a long shot, but thought maybe someone more experienced might have some ideas.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you are going to have a hard time with that, you could call some state parks and see if they have cancellations, you might have to move spaces everyday.

Any chance anyone in the family has a Military I.D. I just returned from Del Mar Beach at Camp Pendleton, I had reservations, but there were spots open

Good Luck

Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

I think because we've stayed there in the past, I received an email ad for 1 day free if you book 3 days at Ventura Beach RV Park. (Mon-Tue, then Wed free, or Tue-Wed, then Thur free; be sure to ask). Pricey and noisy because it is right next to the freeway but nice grass and pool. It is within walking distance of the beach. Lots of rules and they are strict about charging for every day visitor.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #4

By the way if you do go to Ventura from PHX, make sure I-10 has been reopened (bridge failure due to flooding).
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I-10 is supposed to reopen at noon today, but with only one lane in each direction at the site of the collapse. That sounds like a nightmare to me, so to further complicate my problem we are looking to avoid destinations that would require us to use I-10. We're looking at things around I-8. This may be a lost cause.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Rosarito beach. Baja California. I just returned yesterday, there is plenty of room.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

There are a couple places in the Ventura Co. beaches that are "first come/first served" however it's tough in the summer and there aren't any hookups. Just north of Emma Wood SB. Also, I've gone to Sycamore Cyn and/or Thornhill Broom and waited for "no-shows" and always got in.
Further south (almost to San Diego) is San Onofre and it's FCFS. Usually windy and not much on the real "beach" either.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
There is a state park on the Silver Strand between Coronado and Imperial Beach which usually has some openings during the week. Sorry I don't recall the park's name.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Without a doubt, Paradise by the Sea RV resort in Oceanside CA. Easy access to the beach. Check out their website. Come in on 8 into San Diego County and head north a little bit to Oceanside. We stayed there twice. One time for a month. great place.

Rod
Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Check out Mission Bay RV resort - they have beach on the bay, can watch the fireworks from Sea World at night - easy bike riding and grass at Mission Bay Park. We love the place!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

Eureka! (Pun intended)

Thanks everyone! We did have our eyes on Silver Strand State Beach, and we managed to snag an opening that came up there for Monday, so we are good.

I will definitely keep the other suggestions in mind for the future, a few of them (including Paradise by the Sea and Mission Bay) were already on our radar.

California, here we come!
Old 07-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
BTW, if you choose to go out for dinner I suggest CafeDi Roma on 9th in Imperial Beach.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Next time: Marina RV Resort. A smallish park with tight parking, but not full at all. 10 min walk over the sand dune to a wide open, no people beach. Also dog friendly. Infact so few people that we took the dogs off leash. $75 a night but hey, its very unpopulated.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've stayed at Silver Strand (Coronado Island) many times. They used to be dry camping (no services)only, but I believe last year they upgraded and now have services.

Right on the beach, great place.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground