Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Looking for a nice RV park near Savannah and possible car/shuttle rental

Wife and I are looking at going to Savannah and looking around maybe for a weekend get away in our 33' MH so was wondering if anyone had a good idea where to stay at and if they know if there are shuttles/rental cars locations near by and big enough for big rigs as I am still a novice on the RV but i driven a Bucket truck for 20 years lol. Thank you ahead of time for any help/response.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

For us, we prefer to stay right across the border at Hardeeville, SC at Hardeeville RV Park. They are a Passport America park and you must be self contained as they have a laundry but no bath house. I would say this is not a place for kids. It is about a 10 minute drive to Savannah's historic district. We have stayed at Skidaway State Park. No sewer and the park roads are narrow with traffic traveling both directions. If you met another RV going the other direction, one of you would have to back up. Sites are parallel to the road and some are very difficult to enter/exit if you have a big rig, It is a lovely place but we can stay at Hardeeville for less with full hook ups.. Just depends what you are looking for. Cannot help with cabs and rental vehicles as we just drove our one ton duallyto wherever we wanted to go.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

We have stayed at Skidaway and had no issues with our rig, 60+ ft MH and toad. The sites are pull thrus and very roomy. Since we had a toad, we didn't have transportation concerns, but in the past, we have called Enterprise and they have delivered a vehicle to us.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We have stayed at Skidaway and had no issues with our rig, 60+ ft MH and toad. The sites are pull thrus and very roomy. Since we had a toad, we didn't have transportation concerns.
Ditto

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

Just depends how many sites are available at the time you are there. The sites are spacious but some are very difficult to get into or out of at Skidaway. Office was no help when we asked which sites would accommodate our equipment. If we had gone down one area, I am not sure we would have been able to get out as it was that tight.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at Hardeeville R V. Easy in and out, plenty of room, not much for kids to do. Pretty laid back southern atmosphere, I would definitely stay there again
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Office was no help when we asked which sites would accommodate our equipment

Welcome to the forum, and it looks like from the above post by op, I would be looking for another place. It's hard enough getting away for a short trip, but to listen to additudes from staff, that's enough for me. JMHO good luck,
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #8

I stayed at Hardeeville RV Park for a week last November. Great price & location. Easy drive to Savannah, Tybee Island, Hilton Head & other interesting places to explore. Good cheap food at Pink Pig restaurant close by.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #9

don't know, you may have already left for your trip but if not.....

We stayed at the Red Gate RV campground. Liked it a lot. Very close to the historic district, only a few minutes away. Must have reservations I believe.

Red Gate Campground

You'll love Savannah or at least we did. Not so much for kids but if you are interested in history, you'll have a great visit.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We recently stayed at the KOA in Richmond Hill, GA. They have a shuttle, but not sure of the details as we drove in to Savannah. Very nice park.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #11

We stayed at Red Gate a year or so ago. Close to downtown, but I wouldn't stay there again. Grass sites, power problem, pool closed awaiting health department certification (or something similar).
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #12

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I stayed at the Red Gate and loved it!! I have a smaller RV but they had plenty RVs there that were Class A MH.

Loved this place and would stay there anytime.. We stayed in November so we had no need for a pool.
Had no issues with the utilities all worked fine for us.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
We stayed at Red Gate a year or so ago. Close to downtown, but I wouldn't stay there again. Grass sites, power problem, pool closed awaiting health department certification (or something similar).

Our experience was completely different.

No power problems, (we have 50a service and used the air conditioners the entire stay).

Sites were level gravel, not an issue to level the coach for us, (there are large grass areas but we didn't see camping there).

We did not look for, or use, the pool so can't comment on that.

Pleasant stay actually and I would definitely go back.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #14

I have used www.rvparkreviews.com from FL to AK and really like it. If there are several reviews you can get a good feel for the CG. Here's Savannah http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/Geo...html#CGID11082

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote