Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Looking for advice/input - Indiana to Yellowstone trip summer 2018

Hi all,
We are about 2 months into the planning stages for a 16-day trip to see some of this great country's sites. 2011 F250 and a 28 ft travel trailer with me, my wife, and our two girls (will be 11 and 8).

A few questions:
1. We are now owners of a Cockapoo puppy - perhaps the cutest puppy in the world according to my girls! She'll be 16 months old at the time of the trip, does great traveling, and loves camping. However, due to the extreme terrain, wildlife, and length of this trip, our plan is to board her here at home vs taking her with us. Agree?

2. The plan is to leave ASAP as soon as the girls and wife are done with school (i.e. June 1, 2, or 3). I know this is early in the season (hoping to avoid the peak season of July/Aug to reduce traffic delays), but as long as we are prepared for potential nighttime lows into the 20's, is there any other reason to delay our departure?
3. Below is the latest version of our itinerary. We know it is "rushed" but at this stage of life 2 weeks off is all we can manage and we want to see as much as we can (even if just scratching the surface of each area). Specifically, I am interested in feedback on whether the daily distances/time estimates are realistic.

Day 1 Home to Peoria, IL 209 mi, 3.5hr. Depart after work for short first night drive

Day 2 Peoria, IL to Sioux City, IA 462 mi 7 hrs.

Day 3 Sioux City, IA to Custer State Park SD 357 mi, 6.5 hr. Custer sightseeing, wildlife loop that evening.

Day 4 - drive TV back to Badlands for some site-seeing. Drive by Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore for night lighting ceremony. Do we need to do Needles Highway?, Devils Tower ?, Wind Cave?

Day 5 back on the road Custer State Park to Cody, WY 362 mi, 6.5 hrs. Rodeo that evening!! Planning to take Rt 16 from SD to Cody - a compromise of easier driving and great scenery from what I've read.

Day 6 Museums, etc in Cody in the AM. Cody, WY to Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV Park in the afternoon 80 mi, 2hr.

Days 7, 8, 9 - Yellowstone sightseeing. Afternoon of Day 9 Yellowstone Natl Park to Grand Teton Natl Park Colter Bay RV Park 98 mi, 2 hr.

Day 10 and 11 Grand Teton Afternoon of Day 11 Grand Teton Natl Park to Cheyenne, WY 435 mi, 7 hrs.

Day 12 Cheyenne, WY to Omaha, NE 497mi, 7.5 hrs

Day 13 Omaha, NE to Home! 605 mi, 9.5 hrs

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #2

Very ambitious. I think you will find that the drive times you calculated will be longer than anticipated. And you will also need to include setup time when reaching destinations before you do any site seeing. Have fun, but patience wears thin if you are tired...
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
First our 7 year old GSD made his first cross country trip at 6 months. Bring the dog.
Second I agree you are too ambitious and under estimate your travel times. Our normal 350 miles day is usually close to 8 hours, with lunch, dog walking and fuel. You have to add some days or save a visit to some places for another time.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just got back from 22 days in Yellowstone and the Tetons ( part of a 6 week trip that also included Mammoth Caves KY & Cincinnati). Even the 14 nights in YS Bridge Bay and Madison it wasn't enough. We left that area June 15th. We arrived in the Tetons first on May 22 and moved up to YS the day after Memorial Day. Being retired I wanted to avoid the crowds going early. By the time we left June 12, it was getting busy in Yellowstone. But according to the staff at YS you haven't seen nothing yet.

Let me repeat "Even two weeks inside Yellowstone wasn't enough"

I few things I can comment on from your itinerary

~ Yes, Fishing Bridge is the only full service campground inside the park. Very very tightly spaced sites. It's divided into two sections/loops. The front section has all paved streets with gravel pads. The back section/loops has gravel streets with gravel site pads. Very dusty in those back loops. We stayed 4 miles south at Bridge Bay which is dry camping. OK campground, "H" loop had nice spacious sites. Our second week was at Madison Campground.

~ Arriving on day 7 to Fishing Bridge, by the time you check in, un-hook you might have time to drive up north to Mud Volcano area and the Canyon's area with the upper and lower falls (if you can find parking). Actually finding parking later in the day after 5, might be a little easier. There has been on going construction on the Canyons area this summer. Not sure if it will continue into 2018. Looks like they work on one parking lot per season. There are 5 different parking lots for the two water falls. Uncle Tom's Trail was the one closed this summer.

~ With only 2+ days in Yellowstone I would skip Tower and Mammoth areas.

~ Day 8 I would drive west and do the Norris Geyser area, maybe do lunch in West Yellowstone. If time permits do the "lower" Geyser section (Fountain Paint Pots) in the Old Faithful area.

~ Day 9 I would depart early 8am with your RV (or earlier) and drive to the main Old Faithful area known as the "upper" geyser basin. Huge parking lot, with a lot of RV parking. Plan to spend a good part of the day here. From here it is a 5 mile loop to see all the geysers here including Old Faithful and the other 10 semi popular geysers and to the midway geyser basin known as the "Biscuit Basin". So by the afternoon after being worn out you can exit YS thru the south entrance onto the Teton's.

~ If time permits make reservations for the Bar J Chuckwagon Dinner Show in Jackson. (10 minutes west of Jackson). Arrive early for best seats. Dinner served at 7:00, ticket office opens at 5:30. We arrived at 5 (ish) and got second table back from the stage. Venue seats 500-700...

~ OK cell service in the park except in the Madison, Norris and Lower geyser areas (Verizon)

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Since we're not retired and a long way from it😂, can't really get more time off. Would you suggest skipping Badlands, Tetons, or Cody rodeo to gain us more travel and YS time? YS and Mt Rushmore are non-negotiable (meaning they are on our must see list), and I'd put Custer SP on there too.
Pete
Old 07-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Badlands are not time consuming as you can just drive through and stop for pics and not hike.

I agree that YS & Rushmore are must see destinations.

Sounds like you have already narrowed it down to exclude Tetons and rodeo. You have awhile to really fine tune your trip, but remember to be flexible even after you start.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

A few questions:

Some comments,

1. We are now owners of a Cockapoo puppy - perhaps the cutest puppy in the world according to my girls! She'll be 16 months old at the time of the trip, does great traveling, and loves camping. However, due to the extreme terrain, wildlife, and length of this trip, our plan is to board her here at home vs taking her with us. Agree?

AGREE - TIME IS JUST TOO SHORT.

2. The plan is to leave ASAP as soon as the girls and wife are done with school (i.e. June 1, 2, or 3). I know this is early in the season (hoping to avoid the peak season of July/Aug to reduce traffic delays), but as long as we are prepared for potential nighttime lows into the 20's, is there any other reason to delay our departure?
3. Below is the latest version of our itinerary. We know it is "rushed" but at this stage of life 2 weeks off is all we can manage and we want to see as much as we can (even if just scratching the surface of each area). Specifically, I am interested in feedback on whether the daily distances/time estimates are realistic.

UNDERSTAND THE TIME LIMIT

Day 1 Home to Peoria, IL 209 mi, 3.5hr. Depart after work for short first night drive

............- 4.25 hours - you will be lucky to average 50 mph

Day 2 Peoria, IL to Sioux City, IA 462 mi 7 hrs.

.............- long 10 hour + day, but go for it not a lot to see, hoping you get everyone up EARLY. Think about pushing all the limits on this day, already a tough day, if the weather is right might just do the Wal*Mart stop and push out the next day and get to Custer a little early.

Day 3 Sioux City, IA to Custer State Park SD 357 mi, 6.5 hr.

..........- 8 Hours - Custer sightseeing, wildlife loop that evening.

Day 4 - drive TV back to Badlands for some site-seeing. Drive by Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore for night lighting ceremony. Do we need to do Needles Highway?, Devils Tower ?, Wind Cave?

........- Girls might like Jewel Cave, and Sylvan Lake and the town of Custer

Day 5 back on the road Custer State Park to Cody, WY 362 mi, 6.5 hrs. Rodeo that evening!! Planning to take Rt 16 from SD to Cody - a compromise of easier driving and great scenery from what I've read.

..............- Good choice , but unless you are on a motorcycle or a really good sports car this will likely be another 10 hour day - don't buy the tickets till you get there, good chance you will miss the show.

Day 6 Museums, etc in Cody in the AM. Cody, WY to Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV Park in the afternoon 80 mi, 2hr.

............- Museum will likely take longer - Driving is now 25-30mph max as you get into the Park.

Days 7, 8, 9 - Yellowstone sightseeing. Afternoon of Day 9 Yellowstone Natl Park to Grand Teton Natl Park Colter Bay RV Park 98 mi, 2 hr.

...........- Again 30mph so 3 hours - Look at the Park info so as to plan your days - UP EARLY - Pack a lunch and beat the crowds - lots to see and do need to be ready for long days with really good SHOES.

Day 10 and 11 Grand Teton Afternoon of Day 11 Grand Teton Natl Park to Cheyenne, WY 435 mi, 7 hrs.

............- Again travel time will be greatly increased - this will be a really long day

Day 12 Cheyenne, WY to Omaha, NE 497mi, 7.5 hrs

.................... - Long - no loooong - boring drive - look for a fun CG with pool for the Girls - they deserve it.

Day 13 Omaha, NE to Home! 605 mi, 9.5 hrs

.................................................. ............- ...... NAC

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Where are days 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 ???????????? Did you save them to make up with the driving times - you are young and will be able to pull this off - get realistic on the Driving times - do something that is just fun somewhere in the middle, Rain Gear - Boots - comfortable Boots - some warm clothes - Really Good SMALL Camera - take three (3) pictures every time you think one will do.

Will be Interesting to see how this trip evolves.

Best of Luck,

17 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips - they did it every Year.

Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com - Stan has some great pictures to keep you going.

Yes you Can Do It - Will BE GREAT.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

I agree with leaving the dog at home. They aren't allowed everywhere in national parks.

Your plan looks good but leaving early June I don't see a need for a lot of reservations along the way.

Don't skip even a drive through Grand Teton Nat'l Park - it's a beauty - like a miniature Alps, so unlike Yellowstone. There are two dry campgrounds in the park each with 300 unreservable sites. You could definitely get a site for a night if you have the time. Those sites rarely fill and early June they definitely will not. This would be a great time to take a mild raft trip down the Snake River in the park. You just might see a moose in the water with you. We did!

The Cody Museum is extremely nice but with your time limit, I'd skip it if you need to. The girls won't be as interested in it as you might.

The Badlands is basically a drive through park unless you're really into hiking. This could be easily skipped, if necessary.

Good luck with your plans! Sounds like a nice trip and many of us only had 2-week vacations at one time or another. I always say it's better to just do a drive-through of a national park rather than not seeing it at all. You can always return for more depth exploring.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. Good to have confirmation that I am not crazy!!!
A couple of potential schedule revisions based on this info:
1. From Custer SP, take the I90 route north around the Big Horns, stopping in Red Lodge x 1 night. Head into YS the next day. Sounds like an easier drive and can make better time, although it is more miles.
2. From Fishing Bridge, do day trips to Cody and Grand Tetons to reduce the number of setup/teardown we have to do. Overall we'd stay more nights​ in YS but probably spend about the same amount of time sightseeing in YS.
3. On the return trip, take Rt 16 (the southern route over Big Horns) to avoid having to go so far south into Wyoming. Seems like it'd save us a few miles and would let us see more scenery.
Taking a more northern route back home I'd need to rethink the route and stops. We're not fans of taking the same route to/from unless we have to, but in this case it may be best for the Iowa/Illinois leg.

For the en route stops we'll be leaving the TT hitched, probably only putting 1 slide out, etc. The goal is get there, burn some energy, get to bed, get up and get back on the road ASAP (i.e. by 7am). Like the WalMart idea, but I don't think the better half will go for that. . .

Keep the suggestions coming!!

Pete
Old 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

Some general information about YNP (some general items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much as you planned on in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or all stop for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions of travel, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 MPH radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking and there are passes on the grand loop road that are close to 8000 ft or so! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until about 9:30- 9:45 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise non-existent!

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is shiny black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water! HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas have only pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line at the lower Geyser Basin (2 holes) 25 or more feet long (bless the tour buses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area!

Sun- At YSNPs altitude the sun is intense (uv) have and apply sun screen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear sun glasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10-20 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F geyser basin while waiting for the next eruption. Old Faithful INN is a must see, reportedly the largest LOG building in the US. (meals are "A-OK" also).

We have lived about 110 miles (4739' my driveway elevation) from W. Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go there 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all of it yet! So don't be discouraged that you didn't have the time to see all of YSNP. Just plan on coming back another time!

I honestly don't mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 Million visitors in 2015! And as far as I know didn't lose one of them! Except when they didn't respect the rules! (I.e. Stepping off the board walks into hot boiling water, getting to close to the animals etc) Seems that every year or so there is a death or two because of THEIR OWN stupidity!

Note- I have seen on this blog and others about folks "day tripping" from YNP to GTNP. It is done all the time (myself included) however, remember this is BIG country, and with the 45 MPH speed limit, you will be doing a LOT of driving. From the Grant Village visitor center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way. Then from Grant Village you have to add the distance to your CG it will be a LONG days trip. A point of clarification, There are two (2) CG's at Coulter Bay, I forgot their names! One a full service "RV Park" with FHU's that takes reservations, the other "CG" has no hookups and no reservations. They are located basically across the road from each other.

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/SEATING TABLE ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice". If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pads to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

Bar J Chuckwagon
Old 07-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
Some general information about YNP (some general items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much as you planned on in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or all stop for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions of travel, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 MPH radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking and there are passes on the grand loop road that are close to 8000 ft or so! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until about 9:30- 9:45 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise non-existent!

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is shiny black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water! HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas have only pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line at the lower Geyser Basin (2 holes) 25 or more feet long (bless the tour buses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area!

Sun- At YSNPs altitude the sun is intense (uv) have and apply sun screen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear sun glasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10-20 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F geyser basin while waiting for the next eruption. Old Faithful INN is a must see, reportedly the largest LOG building in the US. (meals are "A-OK" also).

We have lived about 110 miles (4739' my driveway elevation) from W. Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go there 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all of it yet! So don't be discouraged that you didn't have the time to see all of YSNP. Just plan on coming back another time!

I honestly don't mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 Million visitors in 2015! And as far as I know didn't lose one of them! Except when they didn't respect the rules! (I.e. Stepping off the board walks into hot boiling water, getting to close to the animals etc) Seems that every year or so there is a death or two because of THEIR OWN stupidity!

Note- I have seen on this blog and others about folks "day tripping" from YNP to GTNP. It is done all the time (myself included) however, remember this is BIG country, and with the 45 MPH speed limit, you will be doing a LOT of driving. From the Grant Village visitor center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way. Then from Grant Village you have to add the distance to your CG it will be a LONG days trip. A point of clarification, There are two (2) CG's at Coulter Bay, I forgot their names! One a full service "RV Park" with FHU's that takes reservations, the other "CG" has no hookups and no reservations. They are located basically across the road from each other.

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/SEATING TABLE ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice". If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pads to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

Bar J Chuckwagon
^^^^^^ YES

Hard to disagree with anything here - This is GOOD ADVICE!
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #12

Aggressive but I understand the desire.

first full day through Iowa will be long. We just did that in two days in May. I-90 in Minnesota has frost heaves at just about every expansion joint that hasn't bee repaved (about half the distance). It gets old really fast.

Full length of SD is very possible with the speed limits, BUT it depends on the winds. I've driven that way twice and both times we had winds. Once was only 20mph, the other was above 30mph. A front corner cross wind makes for a long stress filled drive especially if you are driving the SD speed limit.

Agree with the others, just drive through the badlands. BTW Wall, SD is hokey but fun if you accept that it is touristy. Nice for a meal and an hour or two.

Custer SP? It's nice, but nothing you won't see better at YS. Except for the burros that stick their heads in the car. Of course if the burros are on the loop road it will be a animal traffic jam as bad as the ones in YS.

Definitely wouldn't do Needles highway, we weren't that impressed. The trees have grow up to the point where you don't see much. Spend the time at Rushmore.

Spend rest of your time in YS. One day at Cody, if you have the time. But I would leave it for your last YS day.

However, I would at least drive past the Tetons. Well worth it, but not worth days on your tight schedule.

I like the idea of a loop either through Neb, or go north thru Montana and ND. The north route allows you to hit Little Bighorn, Teddy Roosevelt NP.

Either way you do it, Have fun! You will need a vacation from your vacation.

From a pair of Indy area fellow Boilers (BSEE '85 x2)
Old 07-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a good plan. We had a similar itinerary this past June. We had 3 weeks and started off with a stop in Colorado then on to Grand Canyon for a few days vegas then north to Grand Tetons, then Yellowstone 3 days each location then head home with stops at Devils tower, black hills area for 3 days, drive thru badlands. Unfortunately we had to head home after vegas as we had a family funeral. We hit New Mexico and Oklahoma on the way home. Our start point is Southern Indiana. We hope to plan another trip out and go the reverse route so we can see the places we were not able to go to.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #14

Here's an excellent description of coming into Yellowstone from any direction. You mentioned coming in from Red Lodge, Montana. That would be the northeast entrance so be sure to read up on it. You can't get more mountainous than that drive!

Road to Yellowstone
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice