Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi onourway2013,
Something to consider in the Keys is at mile marker 39, Sunshine Key Resort. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina | Encore RV Resort in Florida Keys and check it out. I live in South Florida and go to this CG when ever the urge to go to the Keys strikes. The reason is one is 39 miles from Kew West. I can take a few days of Kew West, but want to do other things. From MM 39 one can go North or South to find nearby activities. If you stay here, ensure you go to No Name pub. It is quite an experience.

As to places in south Florida, on the west coast there is Naples and Ft. Myers. Many luxury coach resorts in either location. If you want the names, post here or PM me. On the east coast there is Vacation Inn Resort of the Palm Beaches - Home Page
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway2013 View Post
Wow Blue Water Key is beautiful. A bit expensive but, Mike would like to spend time the keys. Maybe a week or two there. Thanks
It is the best rv resort I've ever been too. We spent 10 days there in May. You are right on the water and have your own, private tiki hut. Each site is totally private.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3122931063.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	42315

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2681552151.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	781.4 KB
ID:	42316
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #17

Check out Aztec RV Resort in Margate.
Sb629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #18

We spent last winter at Cross Creek RV Resort in Arcadia, Fl. Its about 50 miles inland from Sarasota. Check out their web site. There a 2 golf courses at least nearby. They are dog friendly also.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Wintering Camps

I live in central Florida as a western US transplant and we go south from even where I live in the winter. Our favorite places in the cold parts of winter are;

1 . Key West NAS - great cheap place if you are retired mil
2. Larry and Penny Thompson County CG - Miami, near zoo. About 200 nice sites with lots of snowbirds in a former orchard. Reservate early. Reasonable prices. A very nice county run campground. We couldn't get a spot for a few days last Jan for a 42 footer because we called to weeks prior. Big sites go quick.
3. Miami Everglades Campground - Private owners. Another reasonable snowbird roost. Nice pool, a lot of trees, walking trail, in a old avocado grove that still bears fruit. In a rural area where vegetables and tree farms are numerous.

Both of the last two an handle big rigs and are close to the upper keys, Key Biscane, Miami Beach.

Someone else mentioned Bluewater Key and it is very nice, but very pricey. It is probably the nicest CG in the keys. A lot of Prevost type RVs there. Boyd's in Key West is sufficient but packed tight, I'd rather stay in the middle Keys at the KOA or the Encore resorts than Boyd's unless the nightlife in Key West is the priority. All Keys commercial campgrounds are expensive and jam packed. There are some beautiful National Park CGs in the upper keys but they don't have many big RV spots and they book up 6-9 months prior.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #20

see a different florida altogether-Lake Kissemmee State Park-not near orlando-wilderness, gators, storks, wild turkey, herons,deer etc or
Hillsborough River State Park, near Plant City, delightful area nice park, canoe and kyack, bike ride or hike, all about $27/night
Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
see a different florida altogether-Lake Kissemmee State Park-not near orlando-wilderness, gators, storks, wild turkey, herons,deer etc or
Hillsborough River State Park, near Plant City, delightful area nice park, canoe and kyack, bike ride or hike, all about $27/night
Most of the Florida state parks are under $30 (+ taxes) and beautiful. On our return trip from the Keys we try to stop at different ones. Last spring our new adventure stop was Silver River SP. Next spring Myakka River SP.

While in the keys we will be at Curry Hammock, Long Key and Bahia Honda. They are a little more $38 but like real estate it is location.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Wow! Thank you all for your suggestions. We have looked at the web sites and CG you listed. We now have a list to check out when we go to pick up our coach Aug 1st. Hopefully some will still have openings for Jan., Feb., and March.
We don't even have an RV yet, but have learned so much from you all and this forum. I love this Forum
THANK YOU ALL Karen
Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Make a reservation to camp at the Tampa Rv Super Show on the grounds. All kinds of camping deals available at show for the rest of winter. Like people have mentioned most of the state parks are booked. We just found the coast way to busy congested.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
That's where we made the deal for our Entegra. I didn't realize people were actually camping there at the time of show. Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi onourway2013,
Something to consider in the Keys is at mile marker 39, Sunshine Key Resort. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina | Encore RV Resort in Florida Keys and check it out. I live in South Florida and go to this CG when ever the urge to go to the Keys strikes. The reason is one is 39 miles from Kew West. I can take a few days of Kew West, but want to do other things. From MM 39 one can go North or South to find nearby activities. If you stay here, ensure you go to No Name pub. It is quite an experience.

Hi everyone! New to the forum, we got our RV last year and have a permanent spot near our home. We are planning our first trip and heading to Florida the end of March. We tried Bluewater but they are booked. So are all the State Parks. So we booked in at Sunshine. We are checking in on a Wed and checking out on a Saturday. I have read so many poor reviews and now I am getting nervous. Have you been recently?
ChicagoJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
There are two possible companies for Bluewater. Try dot net and also dot com. Personally, I would keep trying them and see if someone cancels and there is an opening. They were booked when I first called, and then around January two spots opened for May.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ChicagoJen,
I live in south Florida and Sunshine is the only place I stay when I go to the Keys. In 2011 ELS changed all the management. For me, it is a great location. There is plenty to do both north and south of the CG. A couple of days in Key West and you'll have done all the tourist activities you want to do. Stick you your plan, you will not be disappointed.

A word of caution. When you cross the 7 mile bridge take a mileage reading. You are about 1 3/4 miles from the CG. It will be on the right. Local laws do not allow a large sign. Keep an eye out for the CG entrance. Lastly, Monroe County Sheriff's department rigidly enforces the speed limit along route 1. This is especially true when passing through wildlife areas.

If you'd like to know some interesting activities to consider, PM me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, florida